Do you think schools should enforce dress codes?

Asked by: jazzi
  • Schools should have a dress code!!

I'm in high school and I want a dress code, yeah that's pretty bad. It's because guys have their pants below their butt and it even go down to their knees nobody wants to see some guys butt and and other general regions sticking out, girls would wear see through shirts, booty shorts and skirts, shirts that are so low their breast pops out of their shirts or you can see it all when they bend over or have giant holes in their pants to the point it looks like there ripped open, it's not dressing for success, you would't go to a job interview like that

• Yes! Absolutely yes

Yes, that way children won't be discriminated based on clothes. Plus, it saves A LOT of money. Instead of having to buy clothes for all year long, you just have to buy them for the weekend and occasional situations. And it's so much easier, specially for girls. You don't have to put any thought into what you're gonna wear the next day and you don't have to be concerned weather it makes you look cute or not. But as I said, most importantly, it takes discrimination based on clothes out of the picture.

• Dress Codes Needed!!!

I'm in middle school and I hate seeing people's short shorts and their cleavage. I think we should have dress codes but not too strict. I've never had a dress code but I think it's needed. I live in Nevada and it doesn't have very many dress codes for us.

• It helps to concentrate on school instead of your clothes

There is a dress code in our school, but kids don't like to follow it, and all the popular girls never get dress coded compared to the other kids in my school. If there wasn't a dress code, people would wear inappropriate clothes to school. Now I don't like how girls can't wear certain clothes because it's "distracting to boys", so I'm for dress code equality.

• They aren't bad

People say that with dress codes you can't express yourself or look your best. In my school we have a uniform and girls and guys still make them look good. I understand that you have to buy the dress clothes for your dress codes but you only need 5 pairs of pants and shirts to get through a week so you can wash them that weekend. Dress codes are not about boys getting distracted, they are about making the learning environment a better suited place for learning, by having everyone dress similarly it eliminates tall about clothing, some gossip and other distractions from the school or learning place. Students should be expressing themselves through the way they act anyways, it doesn't have to be expressed through clothing, talk of expressing yourself through clothing is immature and people who say that don't really get the logical side of having a dress code. That is all

• The answer is yes

I am a middle school student and we have girls wearing dresses with one bad move and you can see everything like i man everything and this girl is shorter than me and when i talk to her when she wears a dress i can just see her breast. And that is why dress code is a good thing

• Dress Codes Should be enforced...

I believe some sort of respectable dress code should be in place. I am not saying that it should be super regulated. When I was in high school, we had a dress code in place. For example boys had to have a clean shaved face, hair not touching shoulder, Belts, and no rude or explicit graphics. Girls no unnatural hair colors, no "junk" showing, shorts, dresses, and skirts to a certain length, etc. My school had dress code rules like this in place to help teach the young people how to be modest and take pride in themselves, and in the end reflects positive on the school.

• W w w

W w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w w

• W w w

• W w w

• Having a dress code makes boys and girls feel less empowered to act freely and develop their own personality.

In my country, Colombia, most of the schools have a dress code. But in those same schools with dress code the children are subordinated not only with their dress choices but with their hear cuts. As these children grow they don't behave as individuals but rather, they become very dependent on others. When they graduate they are generally immature and they haven`t develop as much as those children that had the liberty to experience free will when they were younger. These leads to incapable people, who cannot take responsibility on their own. Their self image is dependent on others, because they have grown accustom to do what others tell them to do rather than what they really want.

• Dress codes take away your freedom of wearing what you please.

When their is a dress code you feel restricted to be who you are and wear what you want. Why is their a need for dress code? I cant understand how wearing something out of this dress code will distract a person of the opposite sex. It really is dumb. Especially who they target girls with all the rules while boys only get to things to keep out of dress code.

• No, school dress codes should not be strictly enforced.

When one person causes a strictly enforced dress code because they insist on looking trashy, it's not good. I think that having dress codes, kids cant express how they feel because its 'distracting to others'. That is discrimination and a violation to our rights to our freedom of expression. Like how is someone's hair or ear piercings or nails distract someone else during say a test or pop quiz? It doesn't and i think its just another way for other people to control us.

• Sexualizes female students

In grade school females have a lengthy code of conduct while males have a very short code. Boys are allowed to show their shoulders and knees while girls are not. I will never forget my senior year of high school when I was sent home for my outfit. I was a receptionist and went straight for school to work. I wore clothes to school that where business appropriate. I went to school wearing skinny slack (slacks cut like skinny jeans) and a tucked in blouse. I followed all of the code of conducts rules but was told my outfit “accentuated my figure too much” (referring to my pants flattering my curves. When my mother spoke the principle on the matter he said “he trusted the judgement of his staff and that my outfit must have been distracting.” That day my school tried to make me feel like my body was something dirty and that it was a distraction to boys. This is a good example of how societies double standard is teaching children that rape culture is normal.
    Instead of teaching guys to not sexualize women they are taught that girls are a distraction and it is their job to cover up. When a female is raped while wearing something that is tight or showing more skin some people say “well she was asking for it”. The victim is blamed because our society does not believe women should be able to love their body. Women are supposed to view their body as a sex tool and cover up so nobody can see it.

• Dress code sexualizes students

• There should not be dress codes.

Schools shouldn't enforce dress codes because I feel it takes away your individuality because most people express themselves through clothing. A lot of teachers say they have a dress code because some peoples clothing/hair are "distracting" during class time, but just WHY? Dress codes go as far as not letting girls and boys wear purple/orange/green/yellow socks, not letting boys have pierced ears, which in my opinion is very unnecessary, how are someones ears going to impact their score on a test?

• Dress code is bad

Dress code is like giving your will to make choices to someone else.
    You stay in uncomfortable clothes that someone else chooses for you.
    Parents have to pay for school and now they have to pay for clothes?
    What if those clothes rip?
    You are taking away choices from children.

• Why kids should not have dress code

People get clothes before they get the dress code and they spend all that money on these clothes and wear them. They can't take them back because they have already worn them. One thing I disagree on is that girls can wear those short shorts. I also disagree that kids shirts have to be to their knees in order to wear leggings. It is just stupid!

• Dress codes suck.

To think that a pair of leggings or a bra strap that is showing can "distract a boy's ability to learn is ridiculous to me! It is not a good idea AT ALL! What are they trying to do, make girls become the type of eskimo that lives in the arctic? ITS DUMB! Girls litterally can'y wear clothes that feel good just because they might " distract boys" is sooooooooooooooooooo dumb and its kinda sexist

• People Have Personalities

Guess we aren't that far from the good ol' 1910's, right. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .?