Do you think Sigmund Freud's understanding of the mechanisms of repression is relevant to current psychotherapy?

• Yes, Freud is correct.

I normally don't agree with Freud but in this case I do. My reasoning is that whenever people are put in a difficult situation or when life is just too hard. We lie and we act like everything is ok even when it's not. People may say they are tired instead of talking about the issues at hand.

• Sigmund Freud's understanding of the mechanisms of repression

I think that Sigmund Freud's understanding of the mechanisms of repression is relevant to current psychotherapy. It is used today just like it was used back then to make people more aware of the thinking and feeling process and to acknowledge that we are all on the same path maybe just not with the same thoughts.

• Yes, Sigmund Freud's theories are relevant to current psychotherapy.

I think that Sigmund Freud's understanding of the mechanisms of repression is relevant to current psychotherapy. I think that a lot of his theories and ideology is something that a lot of phsychotherapists still look towards today. While some of his theories are a bit outdated, some are still worthwhile.

• He's somewhat relevant, but has been superceded.

While I think that Sigmund Freud's understanding of many things still has relevance today, let's bear in mind we've had more than a century of research since his time. I think the fact of the matter was the Freud clearly read far too much into everything that happened, including repression.

• No, Freud's views are dated and irrelevant in modern psychological theory.

Every psychology student learns about Sigmund Freud's theories about people's inner reasons for behavior in their first year. After that first year, they then learn all of the ways Freud was entirely wrong. Freud's theories are dated, and don't hold up to modern scientific rigor, and thus shouldn't be taken as inherently valid just because of the history behind them.