Do you think that a socially constructed individual learning experience plays a huge role in gender development and sexuality preference?

• LGBT people are born this way!

Ok, not that we've got that settled, we can go into the complexities of what this means. People have various levels of attraction to either gender, in a way that tends to stay fairly consistent. However, in every culture there can be found a large number of people who are attracted to the same gender, and a larger number of people who are interested in having sex with the opposite gender primarily. Naturally, there are persons who prefer both or either or neither genders. Few people fall into one category perfectly. People's attraction to one or the other sex/gender as far as virtually all reliable research has found tends to develop near birth. People's parenting styles don't change this, nor does any social experience as far as studies have been able to show (which are very, very numerous). One tribe requires boys to engage in homosexual activity before they are inducted into manhood--this does not change their attraction to the other gender/sex afterwords. That being said, how person's choose to identify--what they call themselves or think of themselves--does change according to culture and social experiences. Some people call themselves "lesbian" for example, while others don't go by any label. In the same way, people are more or less born with their skin color and bone structure, but how they identify racially is socially and not biologically structured. In the same way people's minds and bodies usually fall into some gender identity, norms, and tendencies. While some of these are socially-dependent, most people have a gender identity that they can't change even if they tried. This is true for people with either sexual body--persons with bodies traditionally attributed to women may have just as strong a man's identity/mentality as one with a "corresponding" body type; similarly, many people born with a male's body have just as strong a female's mentality as one born with a "corresponding" body type. Their conception of gender does NOT stem, according to studies, on anything the parents did or how they were raised. Parents may try as hard as they wish to make their daughter do stereotypically male activities because she has a traditionally-male's body, this will not change the fact that she identifies as a female. Of course, she may not conform to female stereotypes thanks to parenting styles, but she cannot abandon her gender any more than anyone else. Though we're all able to scoff at gender norms and break free from labels and stereotypes, we must also not hold people to hypocritical standards--just because someone is different does not mean that one must force them to change their entire mentality and not everyone abandon those mentalities. Doing so would be a bad faith argument. Instead, we should accept everyone as they are born and also recognize that our identities are written in stone--let us accept black people, but realize that "black" is an artificial distinction made by society. Let us accept "LGBTIQQAAP" and transgender people, but also realize that we are all queer.

Posted by: kbub
  • Yes, the environment and socially learned experiences play a role in various aspects of one's life.

Yes, socially constructed individual learning does in fact play a huge role in one's gender development and sexuality preference. It goes back to the nature vs. nurture argument. If one learns that it's socially acceptable to be one way or the other, he is likely to express himself in a way in which he's designed (i.e. homosexual).

• No, I believe it's all genetic.

No, I believe that society does not play a huge role in gender development or how someone feels about the opposite sex. For me, it's something that's natural. It's a genetic thing that we can't control. I don't remember when I decided to become straight. How would anyone decide to become attracted to the same sex, for instance?

• Are you kidding?

I used to believe this when I was about 10. It is all genetica. They are born that way. Scientist are actually uncovering what they think is the gay gene. That's why people with gay siblings are twice as likely to be gay themselves. So blame genetics, not society. Good

• Yes And No

I believe a socially constructed individual learning experience can play a huge role in gender development, but not sexual preference. People who identify as being homosexual or bisexual say they were born that way, that there upbringing didn't effect that association. However, society does dictate how the different genders should act. Men and women are viewed as being very different in many circumstances.

• No, I do not think that it plays a huge role.

I think that society and the individual learning experience does play a role somewhat in regards to gender development and potentially sexuality preference, but I think that it is mostly innate and not determined by society. I think that learning experiences can make people be more open and potentially try different things but do not think that it plays a huge role.