Do you think that America needs to take 'in god we trust' out of the pledge of allegiance?

Asked by: Victoria360
  • You need to check your quotes

In God We Trust isn't in the Pledge of Allegiance, it's on our money. Having said that, I fully support removing all mentions of religion in any way from all of our official processes and documents. The US is a secular nation, not a theocracy and its time we stopped letting the militant Christians try to make it into one.

• Yes it's ridiculous

It's not even offensive. It is just plain stupid. In the United States there is a separation of church and state, Including "In God We Trust" in our pledge and on our currency is involving religious beliefs in our state, therefore in should be taken out. I hope we have a president who is an agnostic or at least isn't a hardcore wasp.

• Yes, it is offensive.

This would be offensive to atheists. I really don't care about religion and dull stuff like that (I don't pray, go to church, etc, but I'm not against a god), but it may annoy some people or offend them. Some people may even start not saying the Pledge of Allegiance at all...

• Yes this could be offensive.

This could be offensive to people who do not believe in god. Why should they have to say/sing this if they do not think he exists? Is that fair? No, its not! Thats like telling a person who does believe in god to say 'in god we don't trust'. So, yes we should take it out.

• It is stupid that kids who do not believe in god have to say "under god"

I am not religious. I am agnostic and I stopped saying the pledge of allegiance in the morning because I am not going to say "under god." i am not religious and America is supposed to have a separation of church and state. "Under god" wasn't even part of the original pledge of allegiance so it is just stupid.

• It is stupid.

In my school the teachers try to make you do The Pledge of Alleigance. I'm agnostic and so is my friend. So we have to get up and pray to this "god" who we don't even know is real or not. Its offensive. It wasn't even part of the original Pledge of Alleigance. We need to take this out of the Pledge of Alleigance.

• It is stupid.

• It's part of our founding.

Our nation was primarily founded by people who believed in God, so the words "under God" is definitely a major part of the founding of our nation.
    Also, the philosopher Voltaire once said, "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." Voltaire is pointing out that God is necessary for a good moral basis, and keeping societal order. The Romans recognized this, and they came up with their false deities.
    Lastly, there isn't good reason to get rid of the words, other than that it might be offensive, but people shouldn't get upset simply because the pledge states "under God."

• Some people are fools

Some people really have time on their hands to be petty. All I have to say to such people is do something positive with your life than whine and whine and whine and whine. Find somewhere in the world where people are hurting and put all that time to use. Do something instead of disturbing with these ridiculous debates.

• 'In God we Trust' is not in the pledge.

The phrase 'In God we trust' is not in the pledge of allegiance, so it cannot be taken out or removed from it. The phrase is, however, on our US currency. Since 1956 the phrase has been our official US motto, therefore it should not be removed from our currency.

Posted by: NTBC
  • People are too easily offended.

In this "politically correct" day and age everyone has turned into big whiners. They feel that stomping on traditions, rights, and values of the majority is okay if it appeals to the minority. When is the last time you even said the pledge? For most people it's not often. DO you even know why "in God we trust" was added to the pledge? It wasn't in the original version that was written by a minister... It was added after the fact. The phrase is inspired by Lincoln's famous Gettysburg Address. As far as references to God- “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” There are 4 other references to God in the DoI. How about we whiteout that on the Declaration of Independence? Where does this overly sensitive censoring stop?

• It has nothing to do with personal belief.

When the pledge says "one nation, under God" it is saying that the nation was founded under God. You do not have to believe in Him if you say the pledge. It simply states that the men who founded America believe that they did it with God's help. As a side note, the pledge never says "in God we trust". It says "one nation, under God." In God we trust is found on coins.

• First off gentlemen "In God we Trust" is on the back of the bill if I remember correctly.

Second off it's very important for our nation to respect and trust in God considering we are "One nation under God." God gave us this beautiful homeland and he has blessed us so much. If we turn our backs on him now in our hour of need then he will punish us and America may cease to be. Thank you and God bless the USA.

• Stop being so silly!

Most of you probably don't think I have a right to post this opinion because I am a Canadian but its an open debate sight so whatever. Your founding fathers where the ones that were under God obviously not those who argue yes to this debate. I think you guys should keep it in your pledge just to honour those founding fathers, they helped establish the world superpower and all you guys can do is complain about how you have to mention the word God. Imagine how the people who wrote the pledge would feel if it was changed just so it could suit you. Think about it you get offended because you have to say the word "God". That is STUPID. It is a simple word!!!!! How many people do you offend when you swear? If you have any honour to the people who established the country that you are all so patriotic about then stop complaining about what they believed because they are the reason you are living in the country you are living in. Billions of people don't have the privilege of living in the U.S.A. but I guess its not a privilege because saying the word "God" makes everything changes everything.