Do you think that in-school suspension and out of school suspension serves a purpose?

Asked by: colsenjohnsemple
  • Everything happens for a reason

Schools wouldn't be doing out of school suspension if it wasn't helping the student. 80% of students who got OSS never committed an act to get them there again. Also safety of other students. If Jimmy and Bob get in a fight the last thing we want to do is place Jimmy and Bob back in the same room. But is a minor fight really in need of expulsion. Also it removes student from the things that trigger them. About one in five teens have a mental problem and you never know what may trigger them

• In school suspension should do in school suspension

W w w w w w w w w ww w w ww ww ww w w w w w w w w w w w w w w ww w w ww ww ww w w w w w w w w w w w w w w ww w w ww ww ww w w w w w

• It's A Wake-up Call!

I think in-school suspensions are a joke. Most view it like going to Detention Hall -- no big deal. An out-of-school suspension appears to have the bigger impact. But if the problem/problems aren't addressed and corrected, it too fails to serve a purpose. Warnings, of any kind, are just that -- a signal that the worst is yet to come. How people respond to the warning is the key to its effectiveness.

• Not enough learning experiences

Students getting a "school suspension" is like getting kicked off a team for a period of time. Getting a school suspension does not give the student a chance to learn and to catch up on any work. I think school suspensions are a waste of time and destroys the learning.

• It's so stupid.

I knew this kid, and he got suspended for having a cigarette. Yes, i understand that this kid had some drugs, but this same kid, after being suspended, walked into school SMOKING WEED AND SNIFFING SOMETHING WHITE. This just encouraging them and rewarding them by letting miss school. It's dumb.

• S s s

I don't care but it would handheld d d d f d d d d d d d d d. F f f f f f f f. F ft. T to. T t g f t f. D d t f did f d s. F d s f d

• I wanted to eat something

My Spanish class changed lunch hours, so I couldn't ask my friends for some money. So I tried to eat something but I was accused of stealing and was sent home for two days. I didn't have enough money to pay for it. I'm sorry. I really want to study, but I wanted something to eat, so I guess i can't have it both ways.

• Of course not.

For example: I skip school- Punishment= No school. Yay! 😊😊😊. Also, school wants you to think school is great. Right? So I miss a detention, you give me ISS, so wanting me to like school, you use MORE school as a punishment, KNOWING that school sucks. So school is great, yay, oh wait you have 3 tardys this week, you get an extra hour of great, happy school as a punishment.

• Of course not.

• No education in the day's absent

The child is no longer getting an education for as long as they are away from school, it's like a kid getting permission to skip school for a couple of days. Suspension doesn't help the child it teaches them that if they disbehave that they will get time out of school, what child wouldn't want that

• Meaningless and even counter productive

Suspending a kid just makes them want to miss behave more, it also takes away education time, a lot of times it's only one teacher or one administrator who decides wether you are to be suspended or not, meaning if it's up to one person, and if that one person is having a bad day or is against you, you could get a maybe undeserved suspension, so not only am I against suspensions, but I'm also against the fact that you don't get any sort of due process.

• Restoring relationships resolves the issue.

Suspending students does not resolve the issue. The teacher gets a day or two with out having to deal with the student. If another student is the victim, they are just worried and dreading the day the student returns. The student who was expelled either causes a financial burden on the family (parent has to miss work) or they are roaming the streets and probably getting into more trouble.

• Different perception and wastes students time

I just read that an out of school detention is perceive as a "mandatory vacation". I mean people who poited this says that if a student gets supsended he/she should screw around and do nothing.
    Another thing bad about suslensions are that if wastes time with the students learning. If a student is suspended, how would a person do homeeork and learn things.