Do you think that public drug companies' ethical standards are flawed; that is, are they more concerned with making money than improving health care?

• Obsolete Anti Epileptic Drugs

I have been on cocktails of anti epileptic drugs for 58 years. I have also taken mono therapeutic drugs. Most of these drugs caused me harm than good. I am appalled and angry to find many of these drugs are still being made and pedalled by drug companies and obviously prescribed for the treatment of epilepsy. Many of these drugs have bad write-ups and have been proved dangerous and should have been discontinued decades ago. The greedy and unscrupulous drug companies still manufacturing these drugs, knowing the drugs are destroying people's lives. The manufacture and sale of these drugs should be policed and guilty drug companies penalised and shut down.

• Obsolete Anti Epileptic Drugs

• Pennies From Patients for Palliatives

All over television are adverts for newer, supposedly better, prescription drugs for various conditions. Now, we are also seeing commercials for newer, supposedly better, prescription drugs that openly admit that they are there to take up the slack where the other is not doing its job. In the medical world, when a therapeutic course of treatment is proven ineffective, the logical and ethical thing to do is to cease the treatment, but instead we are now seeing drug companies encouraging patients and doctors to consider simply adding on another type of treatment to ‘supplement’ it. What is the real message here? Pharmaceutical companies want to sell their products no matter what it takes to sell them and even if their other products are proven inefficient. A patient that can change their lifestyle to not need medication for diabetes is instead asked to continue with the medication to ‘supplement’ the effective treatment for even better results. Pharmaceutical companies continue to unethically give free samples to clinics during trial phases and continue to have to pull drugs from the shelves only to have them placed back again after a brief report given to the FDA with no real changes made. If patient health and wellness period was the real goal of the pharmaceutical industry and not the unethical providing of palliatives and life support for reversible conditions, then we would hardly ever see one or three-month supplies of certain medications being advertised at pharmacies left and right; we would instead see more people taking these medications for set and very short amounts of time.

• Yes, drug companies' ethical standards are flawed.

I do agree that the ethical standards of drug companies seem to be flawed, in that, they seem to care more about profits and making money than trying to help society and cure diseases. With that said, I do not see anything wrong with what they're doing. They're a business.

• Greedy, Greedy, Greedy

Concerta is over $200 per refill. That's methyliphenidate, a relatively cheap drug, in a time release capsule. I believe public drug companies are unethical in their practices, especially within the United States. They are not here to improve peoples health, they are here to make a profit off of other peoples problems. Cap the prices and they won't be allowed to do so. There is a simple fix to this problem, the government simply needs to implement it.

• They help people.

No, I do not think that public drug companies' ethical standards are flawed, in that they are more concerned with making money than improving health care, because there are a lot of incentives to make good drugs. Most of the drug companies have programs to provide medicines for people who are too poor to afford them.