Do you think that sexy video game girls are sexist?

Asked by: Bluepaintcan123
  • Reality vs. Videogame

I feel as though this is another reality v. Video game argument in the making. Or, the views of a video game MUST inflict on the views of the youth/gamers in our society, and that they agree with everything that happens in these games all the time. A typical and famous example of this would be the Grand Theft Auto Series. Obviously it's popular among video gamers and Youtubers (see: Markiplier, Pewdiepie, ect.) but what people FAIL to realize is that just because people enjoy these games, it doesn't mean that a certain character's viewpoint or actions reflects upon the viewpoints and actions of the player.

Of course, you will see many examples of women with far less clothing than they should have in an appropriate situation, such as Lara Croft or Tifa Lockart, but why can't we simply view these women as sexy and appealing, or even just essential to game play? Even if they aren't created explicitly for the game time line, they usually make interesting or, in many cases, BAMF characters. As a woman typing this, I honestly don't care what the women in video games look like.

You want that girl in the zombie apocalypse to wear a skirt? Sure, knock yourself out. Our favorite tomb raider in a low cut blouse, shorts, and thigh gun holsters? Sounds pretty great to me. How about that girl in the white crop top and skirt? Did you see her just dive in front of a monster to save a little boy? Yeah, so did I. Besides, nobody complains about sexy MALE characters, do we? Sebastian Castellanos and Joseph Oda from The Evil Within, for example, or Leon from Resident Evil. Dress your characters how you want. If you don't like it, ignore it and move on. :)