Do you think that talking on a cell phone while driving is as safe as listening to the radio?

• It's a distraction.

No, I do not think that talking on a cell phone while driving is as safe as listening to the radio, because the cell phone is more likely to be a distractor. The person on the other end of the cell phone does not know that the person is running into traffic or a dangerous driver.

• No, most likely not.

Most likely listening to the radio is much more safe than talking on a cell phone while you are driving. With music, you are just listening. There is no interaction, and a lot of the time it is just background noise. With conversation, even when hands-free, you have to be engaged.

• There's nothing safe about it.

I do not think that at all. I have seen the way people drive while talking on the phone, and it makes me never want to be in a car with them ever again. Radio is passive, you are just listening. You are not required to engage your brain and provide a response. Phone conversation is much more dangerous.

• Listening to a cell phone is more dangerous than the radio.

The first part that differentiates the radio from a cell phone is the interactive nature of the phone. Not everyone is skilled enough to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time, and the same is true for driving while talking. Secondly there is the kinetics needed for hold ing up a cell phone. This creates a blind spot and reduces the number of limbs being used to operate the machine. Radio does not have this issue at all.