• This person might be right

He/she was basically saying how people take advantage of welfare... And they do she also said he/ she knows about the people who need it so get off her case. People do use welfare for the wrong reasons heck you might even do it so I agree. To averye94 I apologize about your disability.

• It depends basically

People use and take food stamps for granted they always have the nicest clothes and nails and are on food stamps. Where they do that at? I understand if you really need them but most people don't. These people are just taking it away from others. I've heard of people who sell them for money so why do they need them...

• People rather get money for free than work for it.

Seriously though a lot of young girls have babies just to get food stamps and wic. There are people who live all their life off welfare. Most people take advantage and just find it easier. There's people that really need it but don't qualify. Its Stupid. I believe every child should be given free medical attention regardless of the family's income.

• Freedom or tyranny.. I understand at one point welfare was there to help family's that were truly in need.

Haven a child should not be a legitimate reason when all the government is doing is enabling them. Making them comfortable. Unless your psychically ill or an elder that can no longer care for yourself there's no need for you to be on the system. I'm tired of seeing these young kids have baby's and stay on the system not work go to school and just keep poping baby's out like its a field game. Have no regard for the hard working people the get up every morning and go to work pay there taxes.

• You're entitled to nothing.

Government can't afford to care for you cradle to casket, more importantly, taxpayers can't. Your laziness harms responsible people. You are 10,000+ years of human evolution and survival to then sit on your ass and be spoon fed by everyone around you. We should do some to help mentally/physically disabled people, but otherwise you're being a parasite. Have some self respect and do something, you're very lucky to live a mostly capitalistic nation with opportunities. Welfare is theft, punishing success and rewarding failure. You're entitled to nothing.

• You are entitled to nothing but life and liberty.

Governmen can't afford to pay for you cradle to casket, more importantly, taxpayers can't. That fact that you are thousands (or more) years of human evolution and survival on this planet to then sit on your ass and have everyone feed you is insane, stop bothering responsible people. We should do things to help physically and/or mentally incapable people but otherwise it's your life, don't mess with others. You're lucky enough to live in a mostly capitalistic nation with opportunities. You are entitled to nothing but life and liberty.

• Yes we should.

Everyone on it abuses it and has no intention on ever going off .
    There are 5 and 6 generation welfare families.
    People on it also go out of there way to stay on it even as they are established enough to own business and even investment properties. I've whitnessed it in my own neighborhood.
    Not to mention every refugee is on it and they are the worst with it as the men refuse care from appointed female doctors as it is against sharia law , as women are beneath men in shariah law.
    If a family is down on their luck there are many other ways to aid then. And it's not the permanent burden in play right now.
    People should work for a living.
    Wake up people, we are being stripped of every single one of our rights , paying attention to dumb shot like this.
    Let's focus on our real problems in this mess of a country.

• Yes we should.

People should work for a living.

• This debate should be labeled "Freedom or Tyranny"

By what right? What right does the unearned, undeserved human being have an entitlement to a portion of my money that I worked hard for and that I have traded my time and effort for? Value is traded for value. That is what makes money ethical. Why is it that so many people agree when they are being ripped off they deserve their money back, but when it comes to an unjust law it should be accepted and disguised as "for the greater good" instead for what it really is; thievery. Just because it was passed as a law does not make it "right." The reason why welfare is hated is that it is forced with the threat of imprisonment if one does not comply. It is one thing to donate to charity but to strictly force one to pay for someone else's living expenses at the point of a gun is a form of communism. I say gun because yes the police arrest you if you do not pay taxes and they enforce it with the gun strapped to their hip. The definition of communism : a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state. I say a "form" of communism because of course in this argument we are only discussing welfare. But ask yourself.. Is money your property? Do you believe you have the right to do with it as you please? To buy whatever you wish? To share it with whom ever you want? If you answered yes to any of these questions then you should be on the side that voted "yes." Whether you wish to donate or keep it should be YOUR choice! Isn't that what freedom is? Though I am glad a few voted yes to the ban, they are missing the important reasons why this is so wrong. I hope I changed at least one person's mind and that we are not all damned to be ruled by tyranny in the generations to come.

• No, we shouldn't

The stigma of welfare recipients being a bunch of lazy drug addicts is one that's so stupid even a lot of the GOP has distanced itself from it. Welfare helps well meaning, hard working people every day and in many cases the brief period of assistance is so less expensive for the country than the results of bad decision making a family falling off the edge without it may make.

• We should not ban welfare.

We should not ban welfare. Welfare is needed to help feed the families that are in need right now. If we take that away from them, there would be a lot more needy people in the streets. We should think of a better way to handle our economy then what we are doing right now.

• That would be beyond cruelty.

Whenever someone seriously suggests banning welfare, I want to seriously suggest giving them a quick smack up the side of their head. There is no sense or pride to be had into yanking away our social safety net. And with the way our economy is having its fits and starts, you never know when you might just need that net, yourself.

• Absolutely we should not

Welfare is there to give people a helping hand when they are down. I personally was on welfare for a few years in order to be able to feed myself. I was ashamed because of the stigma people put on being on welfare. However, everything worked out and now I pay taxes to make up for my welfare money.

• People need help

People need help from others, some times it may be because of bad decisions made in life, some times it may be because the individual is lazy and doesn't care to try, but there are times when it has nothing to do with the individual themselves. They may run into a string of bad luck and need a helping hand to get back on their feet. If welfare were to be banned then there would be no one there to help someone get back on their feet. Instead they could starve or end up homeless.

• Welfare should not be banned!

I depended on Social Security for livelihood. I am deaf HS student who can't work due to need for study and being deaf mean hard to communicate with non-signing hearing peers. But one day, SSA say that I am not student anymore. Then, I appeal and wait very long. Currently, I am not yet to receive acceptance or rejection letter! But I will be student again, so I may receive acceptance letter. But sadly, many disabled people denied Social Security, food stamps, and other welfare. This left poor and disabled people depended on begging, charities, and stealing to make ends meet. They sometimes wind up in jail!

• Question framed incorrectly

If we are to take "ban" to mean "prohibit", in this case to certain people deemed to be entitled to welfare, then yes. But if we are to take it, as I suspect the proponent intends, as "abolish" then certainly not.

Unemployment benefits for instance, given to everyone who is able to work but cannot find employment (provided they meet certain conditions), are a basic social safety net for workers made redundant by the whims of the market.

In the case of state housing, ideally most of our citizens would prefer to own their own homes, but the cost of housing is such that a large proportion are forced to rent their accommodation. State housing is provided at a reduced cost to the tenant, to those in society that cannot afford to pay the market rate. This can be expensive to do, but the social benefits are also significant.

This is also the case with disability payments. A direct payment from the state to disabled people to allow for the fact that they are possibly unable to work, or may have special requirements in terms of transport or housing may be costly but is the mark of a civilized and decent society.

Of course, with all of these payments coming from the taxpayer's purse, it is essential to ensure that money is being correctly targeted.

• Why banning welfare is absurd

You are stating two different points agreeing, and at the same time disagreeing with yourself.
    You state a point that
    A.Welfare is bad
    Because you've seen people who "have nice clothes, and hair." On welfare.
    Then you also state a point that
    B.It's okay when you "really" need it.
    You're saying banning welfare as a whole, instead of fining and investigating those who misuse it. From your point, banning it would be taking away much more from those who depend on it, don't you agree?

People on welfare
    http://www.Statisticbrain.Com/welfare-statistics/

Misusing welfare is noticed and the government is well aware, this is not a problem we can just remove, we have to get these people who misuse it one by one.
    Http://www.Capitalisminstitute.Org/welfare-abuse-report/