Do you think the 19 year sentence is fair for Kaing Guek Eav?

• It's more than fair

For the atrocities committed by Kaing Guek Eav, a 19 year sentence is very lenient. He should be in jail for the rest of his life for the things he has done. It's actually very surprising that he has only gotten a sentence so short. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

• Yes. I believe the 19 year sentence is fair for Kaing Guek Eav.

Yes. I believe the 19 year sentence is fair for Kaing Guek Eav, because Kaing Guek Eav had already been in prison for 11 years. My opinion is shared by the United Nations because they reduced Kaing Guek Eav's sentence, and he rightfully got credit for the 11 years he already served. His original sentence was 35 years.

• A 19 year sentence is not fair for Kaing Guek Eav.

A 19 year sentence is not fair for Kaing Guek Eav. He is lucky that he did not get life in prison after what he did and he should have gotten a longer sentence. He killed and tortured people in his own country and got a reduced sentence for time served. I think the justice system failed in this case.

• Life in Prison or Death Sentence

The original sentence for 35 years minus 11 for time already served was controversial when it was handed down. On appeal, the special Cambodian court set up by the UN extended Eav's sentence to life imprisonment. The former Khmer Rouge head of security is very lucky he wasn't put to death for his crimes against humanity including the torture and execution of thousands of his own countrymen.

• No, he deserved a life sentence.

No, I do not think that the 19-year sentence is fair for Kaing Guek Eav, because he is a war criminal. For the atrocities that he committed and the suffering that he caused, a life sentence or even the death penalty would have been more appropriate. It would be more of a deterrent to other criminal actors to send a strong message with a harsh sentence.