Do you think the Confederate flag resembled Southern heritage (yes) or slavery (no)?

Asked by: bettabreeder
  • The south will rise again

The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again The south will rise again

• The south will rise again

• Heritage not hate

Yes and Yes The flag was part of the South during the Civil War, the war was over state rights, one of those argued rights was the right to own slaves. The flag we see around today was a Virginia battle flag and a Naval Flag. The flag represents History and is used by people who are commonly, or in the past were supremacist and racists. The flag became popular in the 1950s as an anti-deseragation flag during the Protests of the Supreme Court ruling Brown v. Board of Education and was popularized by the KKK and neo Nazi's.
    So yes it represents Southern heritage. No matter it's beginnings, it has a stained history

• It's just a flag what you make of it is what it is

I have one in my room it looks cool I don't walk around with it Ian not resist heck Iam black! Sorry but I don't see any thing wrong with a flag I see people with them on there truck there not bad people there just acting cool or like me think is just a cool flag take it from me the past is the past what happend then was evil but it's cool now it's just a flag

If a black man gets it we all should right?

• Because it was designed before slavery even happened

Its part of our history and part of the southern culture sorry slavery happened in the south oh well but i mean its what happened and you can't change it its not racist its how we lived back then we didn't create the flag or slavery we created for the south

• This is our heratige

I have roots in the south and that flag means history not slaves. Even the black people are saying it does not mean slavery. I think this is all stupid. Every where around me is putting up confederate flags in protest. I can not stand what this country is coming too.

• Pride Doesn't Fade

I suppose I should have said genuine southern pride...
    Southern pride has nothing to do with color, it has to do with how you treat your fellow man. I never experienced "racism" until I moved to Massachusetts! As a Native American, I saw pettiness there like nowhere else.
    God save us from bigotry.

• The flag is part of American History as well as our heritage.

The flag represents the true heart beat of Americans desiring to live in a free nation apart from the cruel heavy handed tax slaves in Washington DC. The flag never had any thing to do with Slavery!!! Learn your HISTORY AND NOT THE LIES TAUGHT TO YOU ALL YOUR LIFE!!

• Part of History

North against the South and South lost therefore their flag was laid down. The American Flag became the only flag as we united. I do believe very strongly that it is a part of history but do not believe it should be flying on any Government or State Buildings. I think it belongs in the Museum, honoring it properly. Would this have become a question if the shooter where holding the American Flag?

• It is a symbol like any flag.

People need to argue about more important issues. This flag is a symbol to the southern heritage. I don't believe the flag is a symbol of racism. If you want to take that approach then a white flag could be considered a racist flag because it is white. Give me a break.

• The confederate flag came about due to Secession

The southern states wanted to secede from the union. Thus, the flag was created. The war was due to the Northern Aggression, not to be able to keep slaves, which by the way, the North did longer than the South did. The South owned no slave ships, but the north did flying the flag of the United States, not the confederate flag. The KKK did not adopt the confederate flag. Look up KKK marches for yourself and see what flag they flew

• Stain on America.

When people see a the confederate flag, what do they think of? They think of the nation that separated because they thought slavery was legal. Also, people who hide behind the confederate flag are often racist who wish it was still that way. It is a symbol comparable to the swastika.