Do you think the D.A.R.E. program works to prevent drug abuse?

• I think the D.A.R.E. program works to prevent drug abuse.

I think the D.A.R.E. program works to prevent drug abuse. The D.A.R.E. program works to fight drugs by educating individuals on the dangers of drug use by police officers in a ten week training program. The D.A.R.E. program helps to create a relationship between students and police officers which would aim to prevent students from being biased against police, and to form a level of respect for police offers. It would also create and understanding between kids and police so that kids do not find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

• Real vs. D.A.R.E

As a former meth addict of 5 years, I don't think the D.A.R.E program works for many people, from where I live, those who speak at events about the D.A.R.E program, have not been through addiction, it goes farther beyond "Just say no" and kids are going to relate to someone who has lived through it not an officer who only knows statistics. It is a harsh reality and I feel kids need to know that!!!

• Real vs. D.A.R.E

• No, not usually

I honestly think that the DARE program does not have much of an impact on drug abuse. I went through the program, but I know that I would still not be using drugs even if I did not. Also, I know many people who went through it but still ended up doing drugs once they got to high school.

• I feel like kids are shown what drugs are at a young age.

I don't think that the D.A.R.E. program really works that well. If anything, I feel like it gets young kids to know what these drugs are at to young of an age. Now as they teach children to not do drugs, most kids prefer to do the opposite of what they're told to do. With some children, it would stick, and with others, they wouldn't pay attention all that much anyways I feel. I think it should me more of a parents responsibilities anyways to teach their children about the right and wrong of drugs, and that the parents should teach them when they deem it to be appropriate to do so. Not have it forced on children while they're at school.

• The D.A.R.E. program is antiquated.

The D.A.R.E. program was partially effective when it was first adopted. This was a different time when drugs were not commonplace on television or saturating the music industry. Confusion as to what drugs are doesn't help. Pills are good or bad? Mom and dad take pills and so does the child in some cases. So these drugs are good? But a plant is bad? Too much confusion for D.A.R.E. to really educate young kids when they are being crammed full of mixed messages beyond the program.