Do you think the gender wage gap is a problem in the United States?

• This is very present.

The wage gap was over 5 billion dollars in difference in ct, according to nationalpartnership.Org! That number is outrageous, and is not to be overlooked. How can someone sit by and just let that happen? There is no reason for it, and this wage gap between men and women must be stopped now!

• This problem has not vanished.

It depends on what field you are in, but yes, there is still a gender wage gap in the United States. Yes, that gender wage gap is still a problem. Despite the strides made in the last three decades, women still make about 15 to 30 percent less than males doing the same jobs.

• Look at facts you morons.

Department of labor released a comprehensive study that debunked the wage gap. If you take into account all variables regarding wages, then there is little to no wage gap. Statistics from Georgetown University show that women tend to go into lower paying majors than men. 4/5 of the highest paying majors were dominated my men while 4/5 of the lowest paying majors were dominated by women. Just because there is a disparity, it does not mean that there is discrimination. "Extant economic research has identified numerous factors that contribute to the gender wage gap. Many of the factors relate to differences in the choices and behavior of women and men in balancing their work, personal, and family lives. These factors include, most notably, the occupations and industries in which they work, and their human capital development, work experience, career interruptions, and motherhood. Other factors are sources of wage adjustments that compensate specific groups of workers for benefits or duties that disproportionately impact them. Such factors for which empirical evidence has been developed include health insurance, other fringe benefits, and overtime work.
    It is not possible to produce a reliable quantitative estimate of the aggregate portion of the raw gender wage gap for which the explanatory factors that have been identified account. Nevertheless, it can confidently be concluded that, collectively, those factors account for a major portion and, possibly, almost all of the raw gender wage gap." -2009 US Department of Labor study on the wage gap

• The wage gap isn't a result of discrimination

It has been shown that there is a difference in the earnings between men and women. I don't think that discrimination has anything to do with these wage discrepancies. I think the difference has to do with biology - women take time off to have children - and to the differing kinds of work men and women take. I don't think there is a considerable wage gap when controlling for industry and position.

• Women don't work as much.

No, I do not think that the gender wage gap is a problem in the United States, because there are things that explain the gender wage gap. If women take time off of their jobs to raise a family, they are not going to advance like the men. Women can't have their cake and eat it too.

• No, the gender wage gap isn't a problem.

I do not think that the gender wage gap is a problem in the United States of America. I think that it is something that is being hyped by the media for political reasons. I do not see a problem with it. I think that if there is a gender wage gap it is because women just cannot go the same jobs as a man.