Do you think the posthumous viewing of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's body was akin to a religious ceremony (yes) or merely a demonstration of respect by his people (no)?

• A funeral ceremony

I think that the viewing of this mans body after he had passed was out of respect from his followers, who backed him in everything that he did. They want to go give their farewell wishes, and memorialize this man as he is being put to rest, not as a religious thing.

• Demonstration of Respect

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk was very respected by his people. I think the display of his body was more out of respect than anything else. They wanted to see him one last time, look at him, and bid farewell. This happens after the passing of just about any powerful and influential person.

• Posthumous Viewing of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk's Body

I personally think that the display of his body was all about his people paying respect to him. This former leader meant a lot to the modern Turkish people, and seeing his body lent them a piece of familial wholeness somehow. Leaders who have died have been put on display in other countries as well, sometimes for religious reasons, and sometimes not.

• More Out Of Respect

While some people believe Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was an Atheist, I believe that is far from truth. I believe he was against the results of religion, the wars, the fighting, and the disagreements. Many says his funeral was religious, but overall I would say it more a demonstration of respect by his people.

• People were paying reverence.

The display of his body was all about his people paying respect to him. This former leader meant a lot to the modern Turkish people, and seeing his body lent them a piece of familial wholeness somehow. Leaders who have died have been put on display in other countries as well, sometimes for religious reasons, and sometimes not.