Do you think the sinking of the USS Maine was a deliberate action of the United States in order to drum up support for the Spanish-American War?

• Yes, I think the sinking of the USS Maine was a deliberate action.

Nobody was able to conclude exactly what caused the USS Maine to sink and I think there was likely some help from the Government in that regard, immediately after the USS Maine sunk the Government jumped on it and used it as a catalyst to rally the public support for going to war with the Spanish.

• No, not at all.

I think the sinking of the USS Maine was done by the Spanish and was one of the reasons the Spanish-American war took place. I do not think this was a conspiracy, the same way I do not think most wars are started by conspiracy. People have always been at war.

• No, the sinking of the USS Maine was accidental

There is little evidence to suggest that the sinking of the USS Maine was a deliberate action taken by the United States. Despite conspiracy theories to the contrary, the sinking of the USS Maine was merely an unfortunate accident. The United States is a country founded on ethics, and to suggest that the sinking of the USS Maine was deliberately planned to bolster support for the Spanish-American War implies that the United States is dishonest and manipulative, and that the American people are so hot-headed and gullible that a single accident could spur them into military action. This is simply not the case.

• This was not sunk to drum up support for the war.

I feel the sinking of the USS Maine was not a deliberate action of the United States in order to drum up support for the Spanish-American War. This war was something that culminated over the previous months and years and was bound to happen, it was just a matter of time.

• No One Knows

There is no real way to know if the USS Maine was a deliberate act of the US to get support for the Spanish-American War. If that was the case the media was obviously part of the problem since they blamed the attack on Cuba. However, the US would obviously not openly admit this tactic, even if they did use it. I would say it's not out of the realm of possibilities.