Do you think the Trail of Tears is the most egregious of American historical atrocities?

• Boobs I like thim

I like thimCertainly the Trail of Tears represents a horrible and shameful chapter in a long novel of egregious American history but it is hardly the most egregious that we have ever performed. It may not even be the most egregious we subjected on many of the American natives who walked, cried, and died on that very trail.

• Yes, I think its up there

I would have to agree,, that its up there on the list of evil things we have done. The camps we held during the wars, were awful as well. Its so hard to push a person out of there home for no reason, and to force them to march to their death is even worse.

• It's near the top of my list.

Well, that's a long list if we're going to get into American historical atrocities. But yes, I think that I'd put the Trail of Tears right up there near the top. The delicately named Indian Removal Act was nothing more than an attempt at ethnic cleansing because we wanted those lands.

• No, it was one of a few.

I do believe that the Trail of Tears was one of the worst of American atrocities, but so was anything that displaced the Native peoples from their land, so it was more of a process rather than this one main event. The United States also had Japanese internment camps in more modern history, and engaged in slavery. So there are a few atrocities in our country's history that we cannot be proud of.

• It would be impossible to pick just one atrocity as most egregious.

Certainly the Trail of Tears represents a horrible and shameful chapter in a long novel of egregious American history but it is hardly the most egregious that we have ever performed. It may not even be the most egregious we subjected on many of the American natives who walked, cried, and died on that very trail.

• The Trail of Tears was horrible, but there are other things.....

The displacement of 17000 people and the march that followed to the new locations was indeed a horrible act. At the time, and for many years after, this was the most egregious act this country was involved with. However, WWI gave us the red scare, where the US persecuted anyone thought to be a conspirator with the communists. WWII the US created the japanese internment camps and then dropped two nuclear bombs. Follow the timeline to present and there are at least a dozen more instances where the US did something even more egregious.