Do you think the US Government wastes too much money on useless things?

Asked by: BeLogical
  • I definitely think that the US Government wastes way too much money on useless things.

I definitely think that the US Government wastes way too
    much money on useless things. Why is the
    government planning space trips to Mars while there are poor people starving
    here in America? The government spends
    billions on the national defense but seems to be unable to even do something
    simple like balance the budget.

• I think so

I'm not against all useless spending AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE MONEY. One could say my spending money on snacks and video games is useless, but I have the money, so it's not wrong. However, we currently owe $1.7 x 10 to the 13th power, or $17 trillion, not to mention our $1 trillion + deficit. If I made $30,000 a year and spent $45,000 that year, you would tell me to reduce my spending. Why hasn't that same logic entered Congress' notes?

• Way too much money for military and surveillance

I don't think that the United States Government should waste that much money for military services and surveillance. Instead they should reduce taxes or use it more for more useful things like education, infrastructure, research, scientific programs (e.g. space programs), environment protection, animal protection, and so on. (sorry for my english)

• One Man's Waste is Another's Bread and Butter

Unfortunately, 100 people will have 100 different ideas as to what constitutes "waste." However, I think it is clear that too much money leaves the federal coffers en route to the Pentagon and to oil companies in various forms through subsidies, not to mention subsidies given to the big banks.