Do you think there are instances in which free speech should be restricted or limited?

• Yes, but we must be careful not to go too far.

Yes, I believe there are times when free speech should be restricted or limited. People should have the sense and common courtesy to know when free speech has overstepped and become hateful or cruel. We should know when to stop, but sometimes we just don't seem to realize we are hurting others.

• Yes: There are Instances When Free Speech Should be Limited

The free speech of individuals and groups can be limited not just through law, but through social norms. The angry reaction of a crowd or the boycott of a product in relation to hate speech are both forms of limitation on free speech. When those limitations should be taken up by authorities is when the speech in question begins to degrade the quality of life of those it is targeting.

• When it disturbs others.

Yes, I think there are instances in which free speech should be restricted or limited, because there are times when the freedom of speech is disturbing. For example, a person shouldn't be allowed to shut down a major highway in order to stage a protest. A person shouldn't be allowed to enter onto private property.

• Yes, there are instances where free speech should be limited.

I definitely think that there are instances where free speech should be limited and restricted. I think that while it is important for Americans to support free speech and people's freedoms and rights, there are situations where it can be harmful. For instance, people do not have the right to yell FIRE in a crowded theater.

• Yes. Free speech can hurt.

Free speech is a wonderful thing, but there are people today who believe that they have the right to say whatever they think to whoever they want. A lack of common sense and mutual respect for fellow human beings. The way free speech is viewed today, is that we all should have the right to stop someone in the street, and to insult them for their faith, gender, race, sexuality or whatever reason we can find in our minds.

Hateful and phobic remarks don't help us advance as a species. The only to stop racism or other forms of prejudice is to stamp in out at the roots. For instance, if I wanted to, I could post a status on Facebook for the world to see that read: "America is the worse country in the world. Americans are dumb and how no idea about the world they live in apart from McDonald's and guns. If America didn't exist, the world would be a better place!". I am allowed to post this to Facebook despite it spewing hate and malice for the USA, and over a billion people could read. This would be an awful post to put up anywhere and many Americans would take huge offense to it. So if you feel that I shouldn't be allowed to say this then you can't say that you are for no restrictions on free speech.

After the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris, Pope Francis said "if my good friend...Says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch. It's normal. You cannot provoke." It was also following these attacks in Paris that they French government introduced anti-hate-speech laws in France. Laws that prevent people from publicly insulting another persons faith, race, sexuality etc. through through the written or spoken word. While this may be an encroachment on freedom of expression, it is necessary to stop hate from spreading.

We all fall into some category that receives hate from another category, be it gay, muslim, black, christian, female, or stripper. It should be common sense to keep your hateful thoughts in our mind, and not publicly bash these people for their beliefs or interests. Expressing your opposition to these interests are fine but once they are done in a way that doesn't spread hate or disdain.

We've seen what happens when people with free speech are allowed to say whatever they want, and the outcome can, and often has gone further than a fiery debate on the news. It can lead to people being killed. And until people learn what common courtesy and respect for their fellow human beings are, they need the law to tell them.

• No There Shouldn't

I do not believe there are certain instances where free speech should be restricted or limited. This creates a slippery slope where people end up being censored for viable points of view. Yes, there are people out there with opinions that are exactly the opposite of yours. That doesn't mean the other persons point of view should be restricted or limited.