Do you think this generation of young adults feels like they are entitled to everything without giving much in return?

• For the most part, yes.

Okay, first things first. Not ALL of this generation sucks. We still have very good kids who can very much run our country some day. Those kids have ideas for our future, and work hard. They know what's important.

They're not like the other 90% of kids who...Just...Ugh. Here we go.

A lot, a LOT of kids nowadays, are spoiled silly. Absolutely silly. 5 year olds getting their own iPad so they can play games. Their own cell phones, laptops (I'm not kidding about the laptop thing, I personally know one kid...). What happened to the good ol' days where the only electronics a kid owned himself were video games?

I'm not one of those people who think technology is a bad thing. Our society has greatly benefited from it. However, it can also..*sigh*

Don't you hate it when you see those kids? You know, those ones sitting in front of the TV all day? That don't do anything else, and when their parents try to get them to do something else, throw a tantrum saying "It's not fair!"? Whatever happened to respect? Does it just not exist anymore? Is it just some word that was only known in ancient civilizations? Seriously, kids should know to be kind to other people, even if you dislike them. You dislike Mrs. Simonson? Well, suck it up kid and be polite. It's hard, I know, but *sunglasses* Deal With It.

Oh wait, there's another word from ancient times. "Polite." Oh, and there's also that other long forgotten one, "manners".

Yeah, sorry you didn't get the Christmas present you always dreamed of, but you know what? That person spent their money and time getting that for you, so at least say a "Thank you" and pretend to like it. It's the least you can do.

Oh, and there's another word. Or, phrase rather. "Thank you". As much as I hate to say it, I rarely hear that from kids these days. I can't tell you how annoying it is when I see children at the check-out line:
    "Mom, mom please, can I have candy? Please? Please please? Mom! Why not?! I just had candy? But mom, that was an hour ago! And that was, like this much! Moom! I want candy! I want candy! Give, me, candy!!"

(There's more, but limit is 500 words..)

• Tired of Ungrateful Young People

My grandchildren, five of them in their teens, don't appreciate what is done for them. They feel they deserve whatever they want. My children were brought up to acknowledge gifts, etc. And to be grateful for what they have. Social skills aren't being taught today, and kids don't realize how necessary they are in getting ahead in life.

• Can We Say Kids With Cell Phones?

I think kids are feeling entitled because some parents are just lazy now and instead of making a child earn something they just give in at the first sign of tantrum. Kids have iPhones/iPads/Kindles/gaming systems, I'm in my 20s and only have an iPhone that I saved for and I still have my Super Nintendo from when I was kid. I earned an allowance of $5 a week so it took me 3 whole months to save up if I wanted a new video game. I got my first cell phone at 17, it was the most basic thing, no camera, no apps, no color screen. I'm just appalled when I see CHILDREN carting around iPads and fancy cell phones -- they are freaking 5 yrs old, who are they calling?!? And all it takes is one set of parents to think parenting consists of giving their little angel anything they scream loud enough for, no matter the cost, then every kid on the block wants an iPad "cuz Grayson got one"..

• The young generation, today, thinks everything is like the Internet: unlimited access, with no cost.

I am a big believer that the current generation has been spoiled by the Internet. You can get access to almost anything you want for free. And, the current generation seems to be addicted to video games. In the video games, they are the star of the entire world, and they can start over if they make a mistake. Then, they seem surprised, when real life is not like that.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • Absolutely, And I'm young

I grew up in a small town and went to public schooling. I have also spent alot of time with adults and it is clear as day to me the difference in attitude. Older people would tell me how they had to live when they were young and it wasn't anything like it was today. Young people today are spoiled and feel they are entitled. We don't get punished for doing something bad, because laying a finger on your child is now considered abuse. By that, we were raised to think that everything we do in this world will be acceptable. This generation of mine has the highest dropout, crime, and unemployment rates of all generations who have lived. Liberal views have brought in this " Do whatever you please" mentality and has changed our beloved culture into a big free for all which this new generation uses as its playground. People my age sit around for a living. People who are in their 80's when they were my age were working 12 hour days to make a living and didn't go home until the job was done. Technology has made society lazy and gave them an easy way out of life. So is our culture now.

• Young adults today expect to get what they want.

Young adults expect to get anything they ask for without giving anything in return. They are disrespectful to their parents and only treat them decently temporarily when they want something or when they get what they want. They are not happy with what they currently have, and continue to complain even after they finally get what they think they are entitled to.

• I agree that young adults feel entitled, because they are unwilling to work for all the benefits that they demand.

Young adults are now demanding more and more of both goods and services, yet they expect to work less for such things. Instead of recognizing that they need to work more, if they are to receive more, they expect the opposite. This disease is largely responsible for our declining economy.

Posted by: PrettyVince50
  • Because of the young generation now, I fear for myself when I get older, because kids today are too spoiled.

This generation of kids that are in the their teens are what I fear most about my future. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, and I got spanked when I did something wrong. I grew up respecting my elders, parents, and authority figures. I know what it's like to have to work for a living and reaping what I sow. These kids nowadays don't get punished for anything. They throw a fit and, instead of being punished and told the right way to act, they simply get what they want, so the parents don't have to hear them whine. They are not taught to earn things that they want.

Posted by: 5h4yGlory
  • The generation of today are not used to hard work or delayed gratification!

No matter what my kids saw us do while they were young, they don't seem to know how to work hard themselves... They are so self-absorbed, it seems they think they are entitled to whatever 'comes their way'! My son (14) plays video games even though I tell him to read a book. He's a good kid overall, but his "almost" obsession with these games makes me want to detach the X-box right out of the wall!

• Absolutely and fully spoilt

Absolutely, And I'm young I grew up in a small town and went to public schooling. I have also spent alot of time with adults and it is clear as day to me the difference in attitude. Older people would tell me how they had to live when they were young and it wasn't anything like it was today. Young people today are spoiled and feel they are entitled. We don't get punished for doing something bad, because laying a finger on your child is now considered abuse. By that, we were raised to think that everything we do in this world will be acceptable. This generation of mine has the highest dropout, crime, and unemployment rates of all generations who have lived. Liberal views have brought in this " Do whatever you please" mentality and has changed our beloved culture into a big free for all which this new generation uses as its playground. People my age sit around for a living. People who are in their 80's when they were my age were working 12 hour days to make a living and didn't go home until the job was done. Technology has made society lazy and gave them an easy way out of life. So is our culture now

• Without technology we're all in trouble

Ok so everyone is saying that its because of all these new gadgets that we are in trouble......But i know so many adults who work in the computers field. Schools utilize so many apple devices from ipads to iphones.....If you take it all away, we are losing jobs, assets, and life saving features.....The city i live in is the safest in the US but we still hear about all sorts of issues happening. And if you look it up on the internet so many former child molesters live in and around my commmunity. I would rather have children with smartphones so parents can track where they are going (the find my iphone app for example which can track where the iphone is and therefore where your child is) and children equipped with being able to call 911 than have them molested and raped. Sure in the 70s we did not have iphones but how many rapists and child molesters were around back then??????

• Technology is a necessity

Most of the complaints about the kids having technology come from people who are mad about not having access to it when they were young. In today's world not having access to technology like laptops and iPads and things of that nature puts you at a disadvantage. It shouldn't but it does and if we accept that reality and realize that "hard work" today is different than physical work. The internet has changed the world and the people who grew up with it and understand it as well as the technology are the ones making the biggest changes in the world. Remember what the older generation said about you when you were young. They're contributing in that aspect exponentially more than the older generation who generally reject technology. I'm 21 and work at a Verizon.

• Look at History

What the older generation needs to understand (and remember) is that for all of history, there has always been that young generation that has been the subject of scorn and criticism by the elders of their generation. Young people are generally not the brightest tool in the shed, and they lack the experience needed to be considered wise by their elders. Why is that any different for this generation? In addition, the time period in which we are currently living in is a unique one due to the rapid technological advancements that have occurred within the last century. Yes, hard work should always be rewarded and praised, but I think the older generation is forgetting that times have changed and certain types of work are simply not needed anymore. We now live in an information age where we have practically everything at the tip of our fingers, so why should we expect young people to have the same mentality as the young generations living in centuries past? A good amount of young people actually do work hard. It's just simply not the same type of work that the older generation is used to.

• Don't think so

It depends on the person. Im a young adult and Im not like that. I accept some things I have to give to get. Some young adults are like that. But sensible young adults like me know and accept that to get we have to give for some things. You can't get everything for nothing these days

Posted by: DF
  • I think every older generation feels that way about younger generations.

There are people in every generation that act this way. I recently had a roommate that was from the younger generation, and he did act like the world owed him something. The way I see it, when we are young, we might think that way, but, after a few times of getting knocked down, we learn this is not true.

Posted by: 5c0tJung
  • I don't think any particular generation feels any more entitled than another.

Part of growing up is figuring out what one's role is in society. While there certainly are young people who take things for granted, these exist in any generation. There are also many young adults who take on extra responsibility and aim to make the world a better place, and they should be given credit, as well.

Posted by: KevonA
  • Young adults of this generation are no different than young adults of historical generations.

I believe that we lack perspective and historical insight when we condemn or harshly criticize the modern world. Aren't adolescents of this century subject to the same growth patterns, impulsiveness and difficult choices of generations past? Didn't parents of flappers in the 20's pull their hair out, just as do parents of hip hop kids today? The trends change, but the underlying search for identity and meaning that all youth experience is the same.

Posted by: TaryHenr
  • We are constantly evolving

Now teachers are assigning homework that requires the usage of a tablet or a computer. And with issues like rape and violence happening so often, most parents find it a valuable asset for their kids to have cell phones. People go on and on about how expensive all these items are but i got an iphone 5c a few months ago for just $30 from walmart!!!!! So there is no credibility to your claims. And each generation has a problem with the one right after-its the circle of life!

• Young will eventually pay for themselves and their parents

All the younger generation wants is the same opportunity to work hard and be rewarded for it. Unfortunately, there are six things that the previous generation have caused that have made Britain uninhabitable for young people (I advocate emigration as a solution for ambitious young people):

1) Housing. The average house price today equates to about six or seven times average income. Various factors have caused this but they are exacerbated by Government meddling, using taxpayers money to keep one generation wealthy at the expense of another. Help to Buy is inflationary and should really be called Help to Sell; government bail outs of banks has allowed public money to be used for buy to let mortgages and the Bank of England keep interest rates ridiculously low to avoid shaking bad debt out of the system and allowing house prices to fall to their true level. A knock on effect is that a lot of young people now live in overpriced rental properties owned by inadequate buy to let landlords who enjoy all kinds of tax benefits you don't get on other types of investment.

2) Rail fares. The postwar generation privatised British rail. Now it costs so much to commute to London that young people couldn't afford to work there on some of the starting salaries offered and they can forget doing internships. For about £3,500 you could buy a train ticket in Germany for unlimited use of their rail network for a year. In Britain, it would cost about £18,000 for the same type of ticket.

3) Unpaid internships. A recent and abused phenomena that often leaves young people without paid work for years after graduating and unaffordable to those who cannot receive other financial support.

4) Tuition fees. A student in the 1960s would have tuition paid and would be eligible for the dole. Now students leave university with thousands of pounds of debt. Whilst the Government say it's the individual's responsibility to fund their education, they don't seem to mind benefiting from it in the form of cheaper skilled labour. Young people don't like paying National Insurance because few doubt that the ladder will be kicked away when they try to claim their state pension.

5) Debt. The Blair government spent billions using public private partnerships, basically a big buy now pay later scam. The older generations got hospitals and the younger generation got the bill. The younger generation did get schools, but no one can deny that they will actually pay for them themselves.

6) Income tax. Today, someone is a high earner when they earn a little over £40k. That's about a fifth of the value of a house in most of England although considerably less in places like London. It would be the equivalent of everyone earning about £17k or more in 1995 being a higher rate taxpayer, when in fact back then the higher rate started at £24.3k.

• Yes on Technology. No on the rest of life.

Sometimes I really do not like things that are setup to answer in only a dual dichotomy like this. First of all, I do think the current "millenials" are spoiled from a technology aspect. However, I think that if I had grown in this time (I am now 40) then I too would have a very similar connection to it. Actually, I do to some extent anyway by working in IT and the fact that i use my smart phone more than I do my computer at home. The young men and women are correct in saying that they have to be connected through technology to some extent.

Now, getting to the point about work. Many of the younger generation are not spoiled on this anymore than anyone else was in previous generation at their age. Yes, the climate is different because people do not work on farms and in dual shifts at a factory like they once did. However, as some have pointed out, many of today's younger group graduate from college and wind up with a huge amount of debt and then stuck in a job that doesn't pay what my generation would have been able to find at the time of graduation from college back in the "good old roarin' 90's". Additionally, many cities and areas are so ridiculously expensive that the job they frequently can find will NOT PAY ENOUGH to live off even if you are a complete scrooge midas tight butt penny pinching thrift master that the world has never seen before!!!

Another factor that I think must be considered is that a lot of the jobs that the younger crowd used to be able to get into such as service, part time, retail, restaurant, summer and seasonal jobs have been taken (understandably) by people that are older due to the entire job market having shrunk quite a bit in recent years during the recession period. I have read and heard that the unemployment rate for people 18-24 is TWICE what it is for any other age group. This is not as a result of being lazy. Its a result of not having enough decent paying jobs to go around. And before you tell all the 20+ % of the younger crowd who is unemployed that they should go out and invent a new widget or reinvent a better wheel keep in mind that not every one of them will be able to do that. Some people will definitely do that but please do not push such unrealistic expectations on people living now just because YOU are STILL living in a fantasy world of the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's. Some of this business is true but you are not growing up now are you? Use current information and listen and pay attention.