Do you think wax batik style in African is uncivilized?

• The Agreement on Civilized-ness is dependent on the creator

Something could appear extremely uncivilized, but that is determined by the creator of the piece. Civility is not determined by the viewer, but by the creator. IF the creator but absolutely no time and effort into the creating of the object, then it would indeed be uncivilized. But if he placed undue effort into the project, then to reject it would be uncivilized in and of itself.

• Yes it is

Yes, I think that this style in Africa is uncivilized, because it makes them look like they are poor, and are still following their tribal origins. I think they need to try to slowly get rid of this style, and adopt some other new style to follow and look better.

• No It Isn't

Wax Batik style is a way of treating and dying using a manual wax-resistant technique. I do not believe it is uncivilized, its simply not common in the United States. I don't see any reason to judge this treatment or way of doing things as wrong simple because people aren't familiar with it.

• These designs are a matter of personal taste.

Wax batik style in Africa is not uncivilized. Example of this material will show it is simply highly creative. The designs are not in everyone's taste, and this is where the idea that it is "uncivilized" comes from. Every country and continent has different native design patterns. Some people are just more adaptive than others to another culture's creative goods.

• No, I do not think wax batik style is uncivilized.

I do not think there is anything uncivilized about wearing a traditional garment of clothing. There are many different types of cultures from around the world that celebrate their history and traditions. I think the wax batik is an expression of that. That is why I do not think there is anything uncivilized about it.