Does '12 Years a Slave' accurately depict slavery in the United States?

• '12 years a Slave' is based on a true account of slavery

The film '12 Years A Slave' is based on a true account of slavery in the United States. Slavery was practiced in many regions of the United States over a lengthy amount of time. Like any thing that varies in time and location, we would expect there to be many different aspects to slavery in the United States. This film is just one account. There could be others different in many ways and no less true.

• It was that bad

Slavery in America was more than a tragedy. Slaves were malnourished, tortured, raped and killed at will every day where the practice was legal and took place. As horrific as the movie made slavery look, it might have in fact not done slavery enough justice as to how harsh it really was.

• Yes, I think '12 Years a Slave' accurately depicted slavery in the United States.

12 Years a Slave won universal praise from critics for being a well rounded and emotional movie that really touched the audience, I believe as always that the directors may have over dramatized some aspects of slavery to make them more intense then they were in reality but overall I think the movie accurately depicted slavery in that time period.

• Yes, 12 Years a Slave accurately depicts slavery.

I think that 12 Years A Slave did accurately depict slavery in the United States of America. I think that it did a good job of portraying what it might have been like to be a slave back in that time in American history. I just didn't think that the film was that great.