Does a ton of feathers weigh more than a ton of bricks?

• Well, depends how you weigh them.

If you get together enough bricks that should weigh a ton and all the feathers that should weigh a ton, then bricks will take up far less room since they're denser than feathers.

Therefore, if you piled your ton of bricks onto a weighing scale, the pile would be smaller than the feathers. In particular, the top of the pile of feathers would be further away from the centre of the earth.

Since the force of gravity drops off with distance from the centre of the earth, the feathers would weigh slightly less than you expected because the feathers at the top of the pile would weigh less. This is true of the bricks at the top of the brick pile, but that pile is not as high, as I've explained, so the difference would be less.

Therefore, if you actually weighed a ton of feathers and a ton of bricks, you might well find that the ton of bricks weighed more!

• Not the same thing anymore

The word ton has become an overused word, I would say, "I have a ton of work to do." this isn't meant to be taken literally it only means a lot. Therefore a ton of bricks no longer classifies as 2000 pounds but as a lot, maybe 50 bricks, the same goes for feathers, so because ton has become an abstract measurement, it is now plausible to say that there is a difference in weight.

• No it doesn't

This is a trick question, obviously a "ton" of feathers does not weigh "more" than bricks, but does weigh the same amount because it weighs the same as a ton of bricks.

BEAT THAT SUCKERS! YOU "WERE" OUT SMARTED BY A 6 YEAR OLD GENIUS ( I say were bucuase by the time you read this, I'll be off my computer and somewhere away from my computer. :3 )

• Yes it can

Yes, a long ton of feathers weighs more than a short ton of bricks. I'm really not quite sure how to dig deeper than this. I suppose I could discuss other ton options. I might include a comparison of British tons, but then again that might be spelled tonnes which would probably technically not be a ton in the t-o-n sense of the word.

• Just for Fun..!!

- Take a pan and weight one ton of bricks.
    - Now take a spaceship and go to the moon. Also take the second pan with you.
    - Weigh one ton of feathers there.
    - Come back to earth. Put both the pans on the either side of a balancing pan. You will find that the pan with feathers weighs more than the pan with bricks..

What to do..I'm an Engineer.. ;)

• No. But the opposite is possible.

Since a ton of feathers is significantly less dense than a ton of bricks, it would take a much larger volume of space to host them. With that being said, the block of feathers would weigh ever so slightly less because they would be slightly further away from the centre of the Earth (because the pile would be taller). This does not apply if they are in empty space, or laid flatly against the Earth. Though, in empty space, they'd both be entirely weightless.

Posted by: Ubbi
  • No, of course not.

Everyone knows bricks are MUCH heavier than feathers. Who doesn't know this? I can't believe this is even a question. Have you ever picked up a brick? Now pick up a feather. Which one is heavier? THERE you go. Just think people please just think, wow. I really can't believe this is a question.

• This is a fact

This is a fact. It is not an opinion, and it is not funny. A ton of feathers has the exact same weight as a ton of bricks. A ton is a ton, regardless of the material. No matter how many tons of feathers would need to equal a tons of bricks, it has the same weight.

• The question itself contains the answer

The question defines the weight of both the quantities as exactly one ton.If weighed accurately then obviously they would weigh the same.

I need to type 50 words, but i can't think of anything for to type.I really think i should type something funny, but now i realise i don't need to do that.

• No - but the bricks might.

A ton, used as a measurement of weight, is a precise number. One ton of feathers and one ton of bricks both weight the exact same - one ton.

However, if you had a ton of feathers and a ton of bricks on some comically large scales, you'll find that the ton of bricks actually has more mass than the ton of feathers. The simplified reason for this is that the bricks weight more in volume, i.E a ton of bricks takes up less space, so air resistance would affect them less than the feathers. If you laid a ton of feathers on a huge scale, they would weigh less than a ton.

• Learn your units of measurement

A ton is equivalent to 2,000 pounds, so most of you are saying 2,000 pounds of bricks is heavier than 2,000 pounds of feathers. 2,000 lbs = 2,000 lbs. There isn't anything to discuss. Just because an individual brick is heavier than an individual feather doesn't mean that a ton of each isn't the same thing.

• They are the same weight.

A "ton" is a unit of measurement. You cannot make a smaller or larger ton. It's just a ton (2000 pounds), like how an ounce is always going to be an ounce (1/16 of a pound), and a meter (100 centimeters) is always going to be a meter. So, a ton of feathers weighs exactly the same amount as a ton of bricks.

• NO its not

This is because the feathers takes more space which includes more air.So the we are actually weighing the feather AND the air. Where as the brick is denser and does not take as much space. That is why i say a ton of bricks weighs more than a ton of feathers.

• Guys. Listen to this.

One ton. Is Equal. To one ton. OMG WUT HOW DID I EVEN?! Who would have thought that a ton is a measure of weight, not a measure of quantity?! WOW!!!!!! This is crazy!!! A ton of bricks weighs the same as a ton of feathers because they are both weighted at one ton!! Who would've thunk it?! I must some sort of freaking Einstein with this knowledge!!
    But seriously, for you dudes who don't understand:
    1 ton = 2,000 pounds = 1 ton

• The answer is in the question

Clearly they weigh the same if you read the question again. It says a ton of feathers or a ton of Bricks. They weigh the same because it says they both weigh a ton. Simply put you just have to read the question to find the answer. Boom y'all just got schooled

• No, a ton of bricks doesn’t weigh more than a ton of feathers.

No, a ton of bricks doesn’t weigh more than a ton of
    feathers. This is the oldest trick
    question in the book. It actually fooled
    me the very first time I ever heard it when I was a little kid. But, a ton of bricks has the exact same
    weight as a ton of anything else.