Does a ton of feathers weigh more than a ton of bricks?

• Well, depends how you weigh them.

If you get together enough bricks that should weigh a ton and all the feathers that should weigh a ton, then bricks will take up far less room since they're denser than feathers.

Therefore, if you piled your ton of bricks onto a weighing scale, the pile would be smaller than the feathers. In particular, the top of the pile of feathers would be further away from the centre of the earth.

Since the force of gravity drops off with distance from the centre of the earth, the feathers would weigh slightly less than you expected because the feathers at the top of the pile would weigh less. This is true of the bricks at the top of the brick pile, but that pile is not as high, as I've explained, so the difference would be less.

Therefore, if you actually weighed a ton of feathers and a ton of bricks, you might well find that the ton of bricks weighed more!

• Not the same thing anymore

The word ton has become an overused word, I would say, "I have a ton of work to do." this isn't meant to be taken literally it only means a lot. Therefore a ton of bricks no longer classifies as 2000 pounds but as a lot, maybe 50 bricks, the same goes for feathers, so because ton has become an abstract measurement, it is now plausible to say that there is a difference in weight.

• No it doesn't

This is a trick question, obviously a "ton" of feathers does not weigh "more" than bricks, but does weigh the same amount because it weighs the same as a ton of bricks.

BEAT THAT SUCKERS! YOU "WERE" OUT SMARTED BY A 6 YEAR OLD GENIUS ( I say were bucuase by the time you read this, I'll be off my computer and somewhere away from my computer. :3 )

• Yes it can

Yes, a long ton of feathers weighs more than a short ton of bricks. I'm really not quite sure how to dig deeper than this. I suppose I could discuss other ton options. I might include a comparison of British tons, but then again that might be spelled tonnes which would probably technically not be a ton in the t-o-n sense of the word.

• Just for Fun..!!

- Take a pan and weight one ton of bricks.
    - Now take a spaceship and go to the moon. Also take the second pan with you.
    - Weigh one ton of feathers there.
    - Come back to earth. Put both the pans on the either side of a balancing pan. You will find that the pan with feathers weighs more than the pan with bricks..

What to do..I'm an Engineer.. ;)

• No. But the opposite is possible.

Since a ton of feathers is significantly less dense than a ton of bricks, it would take a much larger volume of space to host them. With that being said, the block of feathers would weigh ever so slightly less because they would be slightly further away from the centre of the Earth (because the pile would be taller). This does not apply if they are in empty space, or laid flatly against the Earth. Though, in empty space, they'd both be entirely weightless.

Posted by: Ubbi
  • No, of course not.

Everyone knows bricks are MUCH heavier than feathers. Who doesn't know this? I can't believe this is even a question. Have you ever picked up a brick? Now pick up a feather. Which one is heavier? THERE you go. Just think people please just think, wow. I really can't believe this is a question.

• NO its not

This is because the feathers takes more space which includes more air.So the we are actually weighing the feather AND the air. Where as the brick is denser and does not take as much space. That is why i say a ton of bricks weighs more than a ton of feathers.

• This is a fact

This is a fact. It is not an opinion, and it is not funny. A ton of feathers has the exact same weight as a ton of bricks. A ton is a ton, regardless of the material. No matter how many tons of feathers would need to equal a tons of bricks, it has the same weight.

• Same mass, different space.

When you hold a brick, it's heavy, but when you hold a feather, it's light. This gives us the impression that a ton of feathers would weigh more/less than a ton of bricks. However, it would be easy to picture a ton of bricks. It would probably be as big as a house. However, we can't picture a ton of feathers.
    That's because the size of a pile of feathers that weighs a ton would be considerably LARGER than the ton of bricks.
    So, they would weight the same, but the amount of space they take up would be different.

• No, this is like asking which is more: 5 or 5

The information of "feathers" and "bricks" are just extraneous information. Which is more, a ton or a ton? They're the same.

Saying that a ton-pile of feathers would be taller than a ton-pile of bricks and therefore be affected to less gravity (by a fraction of a percentile, like maybe 1.0 x 10^-50 or something) is introducing unnecessary info. Might as well say that if you got the feather wet they'd weigh more. If you crush the feathers down to the same volume as the bricks, then there is no difference

Saying that the bricks have more mass is also wrong, as Weight is Mass times Gravity. If the weight (ton) is the same for both objects and gravity is the same, then the mass must be the same too. If you took a specific volume of both piles and assume the feathers are not crushed down to the same volume, then yeah, that sampling of bricks would have more mass but then it'd also weigh more.

• Guys. Listen to this.

One ton. Is Equal. To one ton. OMG WUT HOW DID I EVEN?! Who would have thought that a ton is a measure of weight, not a measure of quantity?! WOW!!!!!! This is crazy!!! A ton of bricks weighs the same as a ton of feathers because they are both weighted at one ton!! Who would've thunk it?! I must some sort of freaking Einstein with this knowledge!!
    But seriously, for you dudes who don't understand:
    1 ton = 2,000 pounds = 1 ton

• The answer is in the question

Clearly they weigh the same if you read the question again. It says a ton of feathers or a ton of Bricks. They weigh the same because it says they both weigh a ton. Simply put you just have to read the question to find the answer. Boom y'all just got schooled

• No, a ton of bricks doesn’t weigh more than a ton of feathers.

No, a ton of bricks doesn’t weigh more than a ton of
    feathers. This is the oldest trick
    question in the book. It actually fooled
    me the very first time I ever heard it when I was a little kid. But, a ton of bricks has the exact same
    weight as a ton of anything else.

• No its not

Ok to everyone out there who is confused or said yes one ton of bricks weighs the same as one full ton of feathers so it cant weigh more obviously than a ton of bricks. So to finish my point one standard ton of bricks is the same weight as one standard ton of feathers

• The question itself contains the answer

The question defines the weight of both the quantities as exactly one ton.If weighed accurately then obviously they would weigh the same.

I need to type 50 words, but i can't think of anything for to type.I really think i should type something funny, but now i realise i don't need to do that.