• Absolutely, I say.

Absolute truth must exist because the negation of the claim is self refuting. Suppose I say, "Absolute truth does not exist." The statement itself is either absolutely true, or it is not absolutely true. If it's absolutely true, then it must be false (it contradicts itself). If the statement is not absolutely true, then it must have an exception. If it has an exception, then that exception is absolutely true. Besides that, I can name some absolute truths. It's absolutely true that contradictory claims cannot be true at the same time and in the same sense. It's absolutely true that circles are round. It's absolutely true that the sum of the angles of any euclidean triangle is 180 degrees. Etc.

• It does exist.

Absolute truth does exist. For example God does exist or does not exist. One or the other is absolutely true. I still have not heard any arguments that proves it is impossible for absolute truth not to exist.

Just because we don't know what the answer is to a question, doesn't mean there isn't an absolute answer. For example we as human beings exist in this universe. There is no in between. And if there is, doesn't that mean it is absolutely true there is an in-between?

• If there is no absolute, why is that statement true

Saying there is no absolute truth completely contradicts itself. I really like Maahi's comment on the elephant and the six blind men. If there is no absolute why do we accuse Hitler of being such a bad person, I mean if there is no absolute then he had to be "true in his own way", but if you said that today everyone would disagree with you. And to michelle.Popov you said truth is relative, is that relatively true? Further more if I say you are dead wrong in what you said how can both of us be true, your statement is contradictory. To close with, since God is absolute truth it must exist as he does.

• Some absolute truth must exist

For example, my little headline on here could be taken as a true statement. Saying truth does not exist would actually be contradictory and illogical. That would be a true statement (truth does not exist). There are absolute truths everywhere even if they are just statements. Since truth is a reflection of reality all math is considered an absolute truth. 2 + 2 = 4 is true everywhere in the universe.

• Our lack of knowledge does not deny absolute truth.

Whether we are aware of it is inconsequential. Absolute truth can and does exist outside our knowledge of it. True, perspective does change truth to a certain degree, but strip away truth that is affected by perspective and eventually you will find absolute truth.
    Similar to matter, which is able to be simplified until we have the basest of particles in existence, truth too, can be simplified until we have absolute truth.

• Yes, but we can't be sure what they are.

There is every reason to believe there are absolute truths of some kind. I think therefore I am is a perfectly logical deduction which is necessarily true if I have any logical capacity at all. Even if I were wrong there would almost defiantly be some other truth in the universe. Maybe that truth could be that there are no truths.

But, simultaneously we can never be 100% sure of absolutely anything. To explain this I'll use Descartes example of an evil God(this was not his point but it is the truth). If there was a God that was all-powerful, supremely intelligent and solely dedicated to deceiving me of reality this God could deceive me of anything. This God would not be all-powerful if the God could not deceive me of even a single idea. I cannot rule out the existence of this God, so I cannot be completely sure anything is real.

In summary I cannot know anything completely for certain but, I do believe that there is most likely some absolute truths.

• Manifold nature of truth.

Six blind men were asked to determine what an elephant looked like by feeling different parts of the elephant's body. The blind man who feels a leg says the elephant is like a pillar; the one who feels the tail says the elephant is like a rope; the one who feels the trunk says the elephant is like a tree branch; the one who feels the ear says the elephant is like a hand fan; the one who feels the belly says the elephant is like a wall; and the one who feels the tusk says the elephant is like a solid pipe.
    A king explains to them:
    All of you are right. The reason every one of you is telling it differently is because each one of you touched the different part of the elephant. So, actually the elephant has all the features you mentioned.

*Due to extreme delusion produced on account of a partial viewpoint, the immature deny one aspect and try to establish another. This is the maxim of the blind (men) and the elephant.
    *It is impossible to properly understand an entity consisting of infinite properties without the method of modal description consisting of all viewpoints, since it will otherwise lead to a situation of seizing mere sprouts (i.E., a superficial, inadequate cognition), on the maxim of the blind (men) and the elephant.

Hence,I think that just because we can't grasp it,that doesn't make absolute truth non-existent.

• Yes, of course it does.

Absolute truth exists. We may or may not know it; we may or may not be able to know it, but this does not mean it isn't there. Put a coin in a box and shake it. Either heads is up or it is not; this cannot be disputed. Just because we don't know, doesn't mean there isn't truth out there.

• Logic and Math

While there isn't necessarily an absolute truth to EVERY question, there is certainly some scenarios which have a definite answer. Mathematical equations can often have exact absolute answers. The square roots of 16 are 4 and -4; this is always the case, and no one argues against it. Given, this depends on how you define your initial conditions, if you speak some language where "four" means 2 and "sixteen" means 1, this is false. However, the mathematical idea is always right, in this universe at least. Tautology is a logical word for an absolute truth, where an idea is self referential, and therefore necessarily true. For example, If A, then not "not A". No matter how you define A, the argument is valid. Thus there exists some universal truths, even if they are not necessarily helpful in finding out if God exists or whatever you are thinking about.

• The Pope is the Pope

All bachelors are unmarried. These statements I make with 100% certainty, therefore these statements are true, absolutely. Admittedly these are only true in the same way that the statement "all snorgles are snuggles" is true if I defined the word snorgles to be another tem for snuggle. Nonetheless these statements are unequivocally true. I will admit that this is probably the only type of truth that can be 100% true however it does show that absolute truth can exist. QED.

• No, everything we know is relative to our existence as human beings.

We take in the world through our five senses and process it with our brain. What we define as true are merely things that at best, are true for our existence, but not necessarily true for all existence beyond humanity. The reasons we use to explain the world can all be traced back to observations of nature. Abstract language itself evolved from tangible language. How can we be sure anything we know is truly "true." If there exists an absolute truth, we will have no idea when we discover some of it, for everything we know is relative to ourselves. Therefore, such a concept provides little utility.

• Depends On Viewpoint

Everything is defined by the viewpoint one may have. I am God, because I know that I am. No matter where I look at it from, I am God. I believe so fervently, yet you may think I am Satan, or at best a delusional crazy person. Take for example the color green; Green is what I say is green for me and for you it may look different, but we learned since infancy that a certain color was called green. Some color blind kids may not even know green at all, only multiple yellows. At a grand scale the same can hold true with anything. Nothing is absolute. God's existence can depend upon variables, and therefore it is not an absolute truth. "Truth is considered to be universal if it is valid in all times and places. In this case, it is seen as eternal or as absolute." Your truth will not be the truth of any of the people in a mental asylum, and guess what? That's a place and this is a time!

• Truth exist absolutely but there is no absolute truth that exists.

We can never hold the truth tight but we can only chasing behind it as closely as we could. Truth is an excuse, camouflage or label for what we are standing for. Throughout the history, the truth could be divine right and the truth could be democracy, the divine right did exits as truth and democracy did exist as truth too, they both led so many people struggle for that. Truth is a cover for human's changing, so the truth is ever changing from time to time. Therefore, there is no absolute truth at all because we are changing and this excuse has to change alongside our history.

• The Truth is Relative

People tend to have different opinions, which may I add is absolutely natural. Because of the divisive nature of these opinions some might view a certain topic morally right whereas others might see the same issue as completely immoral. Therefore we can never truly asses something as right or wrong and if assuming that absolute truth exist we assume that it is always right, but as stated before the idea of something being 100% right can always be challenged.

• Opinion vs. Fact

In every statement, there is, no matter what certain people might say, an ounce of bias in the particular statement, and bias is opinion, and opinion cannot be taken as fact.
    An example would be science itself. Just when something is supposedly 100% proven and TRUE, there is some evidence saying otherwise.
    Even the provided statement I am giving right now is merely opinion, which cannot be taken as the truth.

AresKnight says2013-06-14T21:58:40.327
Yes. Absolute truth does exist. But I think it can only be determined that someone is absolutely right if the things are properly defined. Like 2+2=4. Because of our definitions, we can prove that to be true.
savvga13 says2013-06-15T00:06:27.847
What is absolute truth?