• F f f

Ffffffffffffffffffff f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f ff ff ff f ff ff fffd dddddvvvff f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f

• Altruism Exists Because.....

If someone needs help in everyday life some other person does it on instinct. When they do it on instinct this is an act of altruism. Especially in love. Like when your parents take care you. They spend money and sacrifice their life just for you. Of course this may be an act of responsibility, but there's always love involved to help the child.

• It does exist

Altruism can come in all kinds of forms, whether it being a mother's love for a child or by simply being nice to a stranger. I see altruism as a instinct rather than an emotional act. One must see how animals treat other animals. They don't have a reason to be kind towards each other they just are. However while animals simply "are" humans need a reason to be a certain way or think a certain way. Like it has to have a meaning. But does it really? I understand people are for themselves, because that is how society is, that is how we were taught, that is how we survive. Although I believe altruism is true. It can come in many forms. Overall it is the perspective of the person and how they see life and how they see how other people are. Altruism is not about being selfish . The reason it feels 'warm' and 'nice' after you commit an act of altruism is because its our instincts responding its the right thing to do. Rather than if you commit something morally wrong, it will make you feel bad after words. Maybe "pure" altruism is not there but there is a bit of altruism in everyone.

• Human nature and linguistic logic.

If there were two humans left on Earth, would one watch the other die as a result of their own inactivity? What response would that create?
    There is a problem of definition here. Does any action, including an opposite of altruism (egoism or selfishness) leave no logical or even emotional residue? Why apply this condition to one but not its antonym?

• Yes it does

• What about love?

One has to only look at the love in a parents eyes for a child to understand that there is such a thing as altruism. If altruism didn't exist, then why have children when they serve no immediate advantage to the parents. We now live in a society (at least in most modern countries) where offspring are no longer a necessity (except for the continuation of the species). If caring for a child at the cost of almost everything that is individually good for the parent isn't an act of altruism, I don't know what is.

• Altruism does exist

Of course it exists. There are people who help others because they actually require help. Helping others is not always based on self interests. For example people who immediately help others without thinking about their own benefits. Even though they might benefit from helping that person later they didn't think about it at that time because there only intention was to help that person. There are true altruists out there.

• Altruism does exist

• Yes, alturism comes in small doses

We are so used to "Big Evils" (ie. Global climate change, economic recession, global terrorism) that when we think of altruism and what it takes to make a change for the better (and I'm talking about the better for all, not just the better for you) we think that the change has to come from large sources. Altruism doesn't work that way, in fact, when altruism comes from large sources, all too often it is abused or maligned. No, altruism exists, but on small scale, personal, levels...and you never see that level on the news.

• Altruism as a form of ethical acts

Let us define an ethical act to be of such nature that this course of action is, to the best of the person's knowledge, going to result in more overall benefit for all of humanity than any other alternative. Assume humans have collective ethics that the majority believes in, such as that it is more important to feed a random human in starvation than an obese human.

Altruism as I understand it is having such a mindset that one will, when given the choice, choose such an option that with more likeliness benefits humanity in the long term (and hence is an ethical act) regardless of this action's deterioration of the chances of this person obtaining better chances of getting through his biological imperative of surviving and carrying on his/her genes.

An example of an altruistic act would be, in a great majority of cases anyway, for a person to choose to choose to feed and hence likely save 10,000 starving people as opposed to saving himself.

In concise, an altruistic act is such a deed that helps humans as a species put through their imperative of evolving and surviving to the best possible extent, as opposed a single individual putting through his genes and surviving as infinitely more important than humanity.

• It is not real

It just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real it just is not real

• It is not real

• It is not real

• It is not real

• It is not real

• It is not real

• Tax Write-Offs for Charitable Donations

/\ One example of non-altruistic behaviours.
    If altruism did exist, we would have more people donating time and energy (not just $$$) to the literacy programs. There's nothing in it for anyone to make a teaching plan. The only thing one might possibly gain is a blurb on their resume. But there is a severe shortage of volunteers in ANY program where there is no incentive--mostly monetary--for the volunteer.
    Free adult ed has been canceled in most areas because people are not utilizing the services.
    I once went to a beginner Spanish class that cost only $20 per semester. The class was only 2 hours per week at the local high school, for adults. We couldn't even fill the classroom and by the third week the classroom was almost empty due to drop-outs. A chance for a practically free education, but no incentive to follow through. Just imagine who one could help with a second language!
    And for those who do volunteer--and I say this as one of them people as one myself--it's more of a feeling of 'paying back society' for all the help I've received in my time on this earth combined with filling an empty time slot that would be spent only walking on the treadmill or updating my Facebook status.
    Basically, it curbs boredom and stagnation. I saw my grandparents as stagnant beings, doing nothing with their life but taking up oxygen and space. They retired way to early. I had never seen them work a day in their life and they never did anything in the way of societal gratitude. I vowed to myself that I would never get that way. And THAT'S the main reason I would do something with no obvious reward. But the reward is hidden. I can look at myself in the mirror every day and remind myself I am not a leech on society like my relatives were.
    It feels nice to make an impact. But there has to be a reward, something in it for me.
    And we're all that way.

• Its simply not possible

When helping another person I believe you do it to satisfy yourself. To make yourself feel as if you are making change when doing this you are not thinking about the other person but about yourself. You may also do it for not only how you want to see yourself but how others see you . When with your friends you may give to homeless man so your friends perceive you as nice or caring therefor boosting your image

• It is impossible.

The only way an act can be altruistic is if there is no gain in on behalf of the person committing the act of altruism. This is impossible because we are programed to find pleasure from "altruistic acts". If we did not enjoy being altruistic, then people would be essentially sociopathic in behavior. So no, true altruism is an impossibility.

• Altruism only could exist if we acted on extinct and not emotions in every decision we made.

No matter what decisions we DO decide to make, we will either have pre-meditated egotistic thoughts or we will enjoy the feeling of helping others, whether it be obvious or just that small "warmth" you feel inside after giving $5 to a homeless man. True altruism is a joke, unfortunately.