• Think of the future folks.

I have thought in my life that i am only going to be alive for maybe 80 years, so why care about anything? Nothing really matters. But when you think that way, you are being selfish, i was selfish. There are going to be people on this planet after us. Just because they will not be around when we live, doesn't mean they aren't going to be in the same place as us. We have to have respect for future generations and make sure that the Earth we live on today will be an even better place for them to live in tomorrow.

• Not provable; value is a choice

I assume that by "matters" you mean "is of importance" or "has significance".

While you can argue that nothing matters by stripping any argument to the contrary down to its axioms and demanding proof of them, this doesn't really suit any constructive purposes. Things (in the broadest sense, including relationships, emotions, etc.) matter because we attach value to them, and their value cannot be definitively proven unless the sides can agree that SOMETHING has value in the first place (the unprovable premise).

I choose to live a life that ascribes value to things, accepting axioms like "happiness matters" as just that: an axiom -- unprovable, but accepted by me.

• Matters to who?

Things matter because the human race has put value on everything. If a nationwide boycott occurred on walmart for example, the business would crash. It would no longer be of value, so it would no longer be important in other peoples lives. If I died tomorrow my death would matter to my family, but seeing as I have left nothing of real value to the world it wouldn't matter to most people. So the word "matter" has a very flexible meaning.

• If nothing matters, then why are you responding to this debate.

Why do you go on living? Why did you go to work today? Why did you come home today? Why did you do anything? Why don't you just end your meaningless life?

Because it matters! Survival matters - our basic instinct - the instinct we share with all other living things. If survival did not matter to us then we would not bother surviving.

• No, it does not

In the grand scheme of things, nothing matters. Surely the general actions that everyone takes will have cause and effect, and affect future generations. The universe is infinite as we know it, and Earth hardly makes a dent in all that. Once we die, we're gone, forgotten by the future generations, and one day earth will end as the sun dies, and we will all go extinct.

• Yes it is

I always think the life was not gonna give me the best in my life. My future will in dangerous if i stop struggle. Because, all the people in my family had never got high in the school. And nobody in my family had never got into the university. So, my parents thought: You go to school for what? For the future in this time. Even though, many of people they couldn't get a job. They told me " Dont waste your time with poo shit thing" But, I'd never give up. I kept telling them what i think? What i want for my life. And they let me go. They agreed with me a little bit. My way now is very unsure. So i won't stop thinking about my future everyday

• Evolution says Yes

In my opinion, the genetic selections occuring moment by moment since life began demonstrate both the matter and the randomness of life. Life competes on a cellular level to dominate and reproduce. Life is the only thing that matters, with out life, this debate would not exist because there would be no one to ask the question or consider the answer. Life Matters all Life Matters.

• Evolution says Yes

• Choice and the right to make unwise decisions/choices.

We all make a choice to behave/make the choices we do.....And this matters even if we do not recognize this at the time or ever.

We are all transient travellers on this planet.

We human beings, need to take our heads out of our arses and start being more considerate to every living thing on this amazingly, wonderful planet. To date, humans have achieved many astounding things. But, we have still not grasped how to, on a mass scale, consistently treat sentient beings with kindness and tolerance.

Planet Earth and its inhabitants is, so far, strange and unique in this solar system. The ability to sustain life and repair damage done to ourselves is nothing short of amazing.

However, humans are accelerating our own and its destruction on a catastrophic scale.

The desire for profit and unimaginable power & wealth of a few million individuals/families/companies presents as being, all that matters. How ironic that it isn't, in the grand scheme of things.

We all have some kind of choice. What is yours?

• If nothing mattered then why bother even living?

Seriously the people saying no down there honestly come off as seriously depressed individuals because crap in there life did not go there way. I find their argument weak because they keep repeating the same pattern of "on the grand scale of the Universe" or "on the grand scale of things" nothing matters. Yet they don't take into the account just how rare as a whole life is in our part of the Universe for one thing. The other thing that's frequently not taken into account is the single most important thing they frequently leave out and it's ironically the most simplest one.Families and communities because nothing matters more then family. Family is where nearly everyone started and for those who have a broken family or a dysfunctional family, I'm sorry but going back to previous arguments on here, it's either time to reassess what you values and actually go receive help because that in itself is a matter or you can go back to being sad sacks and guzzling down copious amounts of alcohol or whatever it is you do and continue believing nothing matters while frequenting the Internet.

• Unless life in this universe never ends, then nothing matters.

Assuming that there is no afterlife, then on an individual basis, nothing matters. On a more societal basis, everything would only matter is life in general never ended. If every living thing were dead, all bad and good things that ever happened would essentially be erased. Considering the multiple theories that the universe will one day end, the idea that nothing matters is most likely true.

• There is no significance in anything we do.

The quality assigned to things that humans denote as "something to be mattered" is just another way we mask our fear of death. By assigning value to our daily meaningless activities, we fool ourselves once again into thinking that our lives have purpose, that by the time we die our lives will have somehow found significance. But there is none. In a hundred years, a thousand, a million years, the so-called achievements of today will be insignificant, a microscopic speck of dust flowing down the river of Time. Your entire life, the lives of everyone on this planet at this time, will just be similar specks of dust flowing down the same river. Even after humanity is wiped out and the sun has gone nova, destroying most of the traces of our existence; even after the last spacecraft sputters and eventually dies; even after the Universe has dissipated or collapsed in on itself; Time will go on, uncaring. Accept the end; it is inevitable. Buy the shoes. Eat that damn donut. Give into your inner darkness. In the end, it doesn't matter.

• Nothing Really Mattress

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think a whole lot really matters. Of course, there's that whole heat death of the universe thing. But I assume the question refers to our own lives and what we humans do. In that case, not really. We're just a dust speck in an infinitely large cosmos, and the effect we have on anything regarding the big picture is so insignificant that it may as well be nonexistent.
    Of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to live our lives to the fullest. Might as well make our short stay here as pleasant as we can.

• Nothing technically matters but thinking makes it so

Our human egos have us believe things matter
    everything is temporary nothing lasts forever so how can it matter
    when you die nothing matters anymore
    so i guess thinking makes you believe things matter
    its a weird question and tough to answer but this is kinda my opinion to it

• It doesn't matter. The universe is so large that nothing matters in the grand scheme of things.

This doesn't mean you have to sad and do nothing. This means you need to try as hard as you can to be happy. This is the only life you're going to have, so you better make the best of it. That's just what I think, and i'm not trying to force my opinion on y'all.

• In the end, nothing matters unless you believe in humanistic ideals of secularism.

Our lives are simply biological functions carried out to serve out simple responses. Repopulate, hunt, etc. But after we die, then what? Will our kids, family, friends, even remember us after 50 years? Even if we go down in history as a hero, a legend, there is an inevitable end to Human Kind. Once we are gone, what will be left of any of us?

• No we don't

Think about it. When you look out into the stars and see the cosmos, does you telling a stranger they're an idiot doesn't matter. Everything goes on the same in the rest of the universe. It only matters on the micro scale and even then it's debatable because on day we will all fade into nothing. Everyone you love, care about, value, will turn to dust and nothing matters. Saying that, you should do what you want because , "when you know nothing matters, the universe is yours"

• No we don't

• No, it does not

• We are All going to die someday

In the end, everyone will die, and that's a Fact. That TV show you watched last night? It was just you entertaining yourself and distracting you from what is going to happen, and that's ok. You want to make life matter? Go ahead, it wont matter in a million or so years.

simpleman says2013-09-05T04:44:55.727
Apparently something must matter for the question to be raised in the first place. I believe it is unrealistic to assume nothing matters, elsewise we should all be silent. Our answers mean nothing in that instance, so why would we even have the motivation to elicit a response?
Jokobomb says2016-02-03T18:28:12.500
We would like to think that our decisions matter, wouldn't we?