Does banning gay marriage violate the constitutional right to religious freedom?

• Yes it does.

Banning gay marriage does violate the constitutional right to religious freedom. It is stupid that we have banned gay marriage in so many state, especially because we are a country that promotes freedom of choice. Eventually it will be allowed in all of the states, even though it is taking longer then it should.

• Marriage is a part of religion

No, banning gay marriage does in some way violate the rights to religious freedom. Marriage is practiced throughout many religions and is based on the beliefs of people. Depending on the religion certain things are acceptable and others are not. Gay and lesbian persons have a belief that they should be allowed to wed in marriage, so they should be protected by their constitutional right to chose whom they marry.

• Banning Gay Marriage Unconstitutional

Without a doubt, banning gay marriage is unconstitutional and fails to respect a person's right to religious freedom. The country was founded on various principles, and the right to freedom was one of them. Therefore, gay marriage shouldn't be banned in any corner of the country at this point in time.

• Religious freedom or religious oppression.

I as a natural born American have the right to worship in the way and or manner I choose. No religion has the right to force me to adhere to its methodology. Therefore, if I choose to marry someone of the same sex, then it is a non religious union. And if there IS a church that accepts my faith and would openly allow me to marry my same sex partner before God, then that is our right. If others don't agree then don't come to the wedding! It is their freedom to not come! But I don't have to follow one word in the Bible if I choose to, so when my freedom is being banned on religious values, then my religious freedom is being infringed upon.

• Banning Gay Marriage...

It does violate CIVIL RIGHTS, and also the Constitution. Here is why is why.

Religious beliefs should have ZERO part in politics of a country when it claims to be a country where we have religious freedom. If that is the case one single religion's belief system shouldn't be able to constitute laws. Such as banning abortion, and gay marriage. Both of these infringe on civil rights and the Constitution. How anyone with common sense doesn't get that is beyond me.

• "Gay Marriage" Violates Religious Freedom!

"Gay marriage" most certainly does violate religious freedom! There has already been a florist and a baker who were sued for refusing to cater to a "gay wedding". They refused to cater to this "gay wedding" because of their religious beliefs. The government sued them for it! Some people say that they were discriminating against these people because they were homosexual. That is not true. They were discriminating against what they saw as gravely immoral and sinful behavior and they were punished for it.

• Yes I think so.

Banning gay marriage stops on a lot of the rights laid out in the constitution. People are supposed to have the ability to think and choose what religion they want yet the second it is "strange" or "unusual" they are trying to backtrack it. That is not right or fair to do.

• No it doesn't violate the constitutional right to religious freedom, because being gay is not a religious issue

I do not believe that banning gay marriage is in any way violating a constitutional right to religious freedom. However, I do believe that banning gay marriage is wrong. If a religious organization chooses not to marry a gay couple, then that is their right. The state should not interfere. By that same token, I do not think that churches should have any say in civil ceremonies. I strongly support the separation of church and state as well as civil rights for all, regardless of sexuality (or religion, or race, or anything). If a certain religion says being gay is wrong, then that's the business of that religion. I do not want that religion deciding what is or is not okay for anyone outside of that faith. If a church won't perform a marriage between two people simply because they're gay, I find that morally wrong but perfectly legal. I think that banning gay marriage violates the Establishment Clause, though, because it's recognizing a specific religious view.

• No, but it violates basic civil rights.

Gay marriage is not an issue of religion. Bans on gay marriage do not violate anyone's religious freedom, but they do violate basic civil rights when it comes to discrimination. All consenting adults should have the right to marry whomever makes them happy, regardless of gender, religion, race, or any other classification.

• Of course not.

In no way does banning gay marriage violate the constitutional right to religious freedom because it does not interfere with those who do not support it. One's business is one's own business, and one's religious freedom is theirs; religious freedom does not mean the freedom to impose one's beliefs and life system on another.

• No, but it's still wrong.

I don't think that banning gay marriage specifically violates religious freedom. If the requirements of a certain religion included being gay, or being married to a person of the same gender, then it would be a religious freedom issue; but it's not. That aside, banning gay marriage still violates PERSONAL freedom.

• Banning Gay Marriage is NOT unconstitutional.

Everyone that says that banning gay marriage is unconstitutional, isn't using any evidence whatsoever.
    Religion is defined as the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    Homosexuality is defined as: sexually attracted to people of the same sex.
    Based on that definition, homosexuality is not a religion. Therefore it is not protected under the Constitution.

• Gay, or Lesbian, marriages aren't that different from a heterosexual marriage...

Banning gay/lesbian marriages only prevents love, and creates hate for the people who opposed their love. Religious people may look on it as an abomination, but really it might just two, or more, people who really love each other, but can't because of the law, it's like Romeo and Juliet; hate between their families didn't stop them from loving each other.

• No it is nothing to do with religion

I do not believe in banning gay marriage. However I do not think that it in any way violates religious freedom. Gay marriage is a social issue and should be adressed as such. It is not a religious issue as a gay person can be from any religon or no religion at all.

mizikesashez says2014-10-20T19:35:46.553
ACTUALLY THIS ABOMINATION PEOPLE CALL MARRIAGE IS VIOLATING RELIGIOUS FREEDOM!!! IN MY STATE A95 YEAR OLD CHRISTIAN CHAPEL IS FACING SERIOUS CHARGES BECAUSE THEY WON'T DO SOMETHING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN AND IS AGAINST THEIR RELIGION!!!! THEY ARE FACING A$1,800 DAILY FINE FOR EVERY DAY THEY REFUSE, JAIL TIME, AND BEING FORCED TO SHUT DOWN!!! THIS IS JUST LIKE RAPE A GUY FORCES HIMSELF INTO A GIRL AND FORCES HER TO HAVE UNWANTED SEX WITH HIM, THEN TURNS AROUND AND SUES HER BECAUSE SHE FOUGHT HIM OFF AND FOUGHT FOR SOMETHING SHE DIDN'T WANT!!!! WHERE ARE THEIR RIGHTS OF THEIR RELIGION AND BELIEF ALSO THEIR RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE???!!!!!! This is so wrong how GOD'S PEOPLE ARE BEING RAPED AND SUED BECAUSE THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN IT, EVEN NON RELIGIOUS VENDORS THAT DON'T BELIEVE IN HOMOSEXUALITY ARE FACING CHARGES, WE ARE BEING FORCED ON SOMETHING OUR STATE DOESN'T WANT, 80% OF MY STATE IS AGAINST THIS!!!