Does being a Christian immediately make you a hateful person?

• It's because of hegemony

Being Christian in the USA makes you part of a tribe that's become accustomed to getting their own way about everything, and having their religious beliefs and whims catered to by everyone else, no matter how much it hurts or inconveniences others. Like LGBT people. It neither picks their pockets nor breaks their legs to treat LGBT people with kindness and tolerance, but they don't care to even try it, preferring to be hateful and nasty about it.

• It's because of hegemony

• It's because of hegemony

• Of course not. Look around

All those nice elderly grans that regularly go to church are not hateful. Look at Songs of Praise on TV, Do they look hateful? Christians are generally joyous, kind and speak of love for thy neighbour. Christians started the tradition of giving gifts at christmas which is all about giving not receiving as the underlying message. Many Christians raise money through The Salvation Army and other charities. They also embody what Jesus taught which is to love our enemies not to hate them.

PEOPLE can be hateful. That's whats true of society whether you are christian or not.

• No, and it's a hateful thing to suggest too.

The most progressive movements in history, from the abolition of slavery to modern science, have been championed by Christians. Why? Well certainly not because their Christianity made them hateful! The very notion that being a Christian makes someone hateful suggests that the notion-holder is him/herself quite hateful of Christians, but even worse, that he/she is at the same time quite ignorant about Christians.

• No way at all

There are hateful people who call themselves Christians (KKK, slaveowners, imperialists, bigots, haters of the homeless) but that is in no way reflective of the religion in of itself. Many Christians run charities to help the homeless who have nothing and feed them. Many of them, Catholics included, fought against slavery too. So being a Christian doesn't make you hateful.

• No, of course not.

The nicest person I know is Christian, so that's a direct refutation to anyone that votes on Christianity immediately making someone a hateful person. It's not someone's religion that shapes how they act, it's just how they are as a person to begin with. It just seems like people will believe whatever they want to, regardless of whether it completely contradicts their life style (Read: Any Christian that's a capitalist) or if it's completely consistent.

• Many are, but to claim a causation is absurd.

While it is certainly true that Christian Scriptures and beliefs, if followed literally, can lead to a great deal of intolerance, violence, and hatred that doesn't mean anyone affiliated with that religion will automatically do so.

Being a hateful person is never solely due to religion- a host of other factors come into play, like home environment, the people you associate with, and even your education level. It's a complex issue.

• Generalization is a Dangerous Thing.

What is hate. Hate, as define from dictionary.Com, is an intense feeling of dislike. The reason why people generally say that being a Christian makes you a hateful person because of past events. These some of these events are: The Spanish Inquisition, Pope Alexander VI, etc. However some people do not know that some Christian, like David Livingstone and Florence Nightingale, they are Christian they showed great compassion for others. Livingstone is considered a Protestant missionary martyr, working-class "rags to riches" inspirational story, scientific investigator and explorer, imperial reformer, anti-slavery crusader, and advocate of commercial empire. He is also one of the most popular hero of the 19th century. He a missionary in Africa, he was against the Arabs Slave Traders. He also is considered one of the top 100 greatest Britons. Florence Nightingale was a nurse who managed to sharply reduce the death rate of soldiers in Crimean War. She risked her life to help mend these injured soldiers. She unfortunately died of mental conditions. Simply because someone is a Christians doesn't mean that they are hateful people. There are different type of people in this world, their are different types of Christians too. It is important to know that in every society their are loving people and their are hateful people. So it is important not to generalize a group of people because of a couple of peoples actions

• No its the exact opposite

Jesus said the two most important commandments were 1.Love the lord your God and 2. Love your neighbor as yourself. As a christian you are supposed to love everyone because God loved us first. I find it really sad when I see things like this. I try my hardest to love everyone including my enemies.

• Christians believe in loving others.

The idea that Christians are a hateful bunch of people is not well grounded. The reason one would think this would be the idea that all Christians are like SNL's The Church Lady, condeming every single supposed wrong thing that non-Christians do. This not at all an accurate description of what a Christian should be like.

• Christians aren't hateful

Jesus called us to be loving that's why he died on a cross. To day I heard some people disrespecting Jesus. People don't understand what his love is like. If people would read the bible and pray and spend time with God they would know that true Christians are not to be hateful. CALLING ALL CHRISTIANS TO BE LOVING TODAY AND FOREVER. This world is in a very dark place it's time for Christians to be a light so the world can see Christ through you. The bible tells us that those that love abide in Christ. God bless

• It Depends On the Person. (continued)

I do understand how some people think Christians are "mean". I have an aunt who saw a homeless man and his family outside of her workplace. She tried to gather money from her co-workers for the man so he could feed himself and his three children. Only two people contributed money out of approximately 40 people working that day. One of the most "diehard Christians" said no and ended up calling the cops to have them removed from their property . I understand that some people believe the Bible contradicts itself, which is true. I personally don't believe in the full bible itself. The Bible was written by self-righteous men. Not by Christ. They simply would spread the word of Christ. Some stuff in the Bible doesn't sound like something Christ would say at all, but some does. So this is why I believe in only parts of it. That being said, some Christians believe in the full Bible which can take things pretty far. I just wish people would stop bashing Christians, thinking all of them are the same because there are many different kinds. I wish people would not look at me with a "how dare you" look on their faces when I say "Merry Christmas". Or when I say "God bless you". Or when I say "you have a blessed day". It is a free country where you have freedom of speech and religion. I'm not rubbing it in your face when I say things relating to God (although, yes some Christians do). I don't mind if someone wants to say anything relating to their belief, whatever it may be because that's their decision. I'm not going to give you a rude look and make you feel bad for what you believe in. Because who's to say I'm right? There is no proof of God, only faith, which is what religion of any sort is all about. I wish Christians would start to learn how to be true Christians by being more accepting of others, along with other people who are not Christians as well.