• I heard Fort Leavenworth is nice this time of year

When you join the Army (or any other branch) you take an oath that says "I solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and Domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, and *I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice." In addition, from day one, every bit of training you receive as a US soldier, revolves around the 7 Army Values : Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. Not only did he break his oath to obey the officers above him, he defiled that first value that is the core of all the rest. LOYALTY. You must be loyal to your country, and to your team and if you're not, how can you possibly be expected to perform on the battlefield. He should have reported to his chain of command of to the Inspector general, because leaking information like that no doubt put lives at risk. MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ARMS. If you think he did the right thing, you may want to reexamine your stance. If you intentionally do something to get your Battle Buddies killed, you might as well be put away for the rest of your life, because soldiers everywhere will be looking at you like the traitor you are. You can't betray your country and expect them to give you a medal for it.

• Yes. Bradley Manning is a traitor.

Bradley Manning is a traitor. Bradley Manning is an arrogant traitor that wanted to push limits and risked the safety and security of his country in doing so. None of his actions have resulted in anything that can be considered beneficial for the country. There are consequences for these kinds of selfish, ego-driven actions. He should absolutely be locked away for a long time!

• He should be executed; but he only got 35 years and will out in maybe 6.

Guy is really a sad case.

He now wants a sex change operation and wants the military to pay for it.

Total nut job.

Not sure how sicks people like him even get in.

The USA is slowly falling apart. Women don't belong in combat, gays don't belong in the military unless they stay in the closet.

• Yes, if he is found guilty!

The United States military is supposed to protect the civilian citizens.When one member has helped the enemy where lives could be at stake, life in prison should be the least he receives for treason! I feel there needs to be a investigation and collect proof to verify that he did commit treason. If he is found guilty, then yes he deserves what ever comes his way!

• Bradley Manning is a Traitor

Bradley Manning is a traitor, not a whistleblower. The information he stole and provided to our enemies was of no use or interest to the public and revealed no war crimes. I support Edward Snowden, who blew the whistle on unconstitutional violations of the 4th Amendment. Bradley Manning, however, provided aid to our enemies and no aid to us. He is a traitor and lucky he did not get the death penalty.

• Validation or justice?

Manning released over 700,000 piece of sensitive items. Having reviewed the time he actually sent in the military you can not tell me it was for justice. With that many items in such a short amount of time there is no way he sat and read ever piece, nor did he read the reports that led up to the reports he carelessly loaded on his personal items to smuggle this information out. A quote from Manning himself says " he doesn't mind send 35 years in jail, I just don't want my picture taken and plastered around the world as a boy" this ignorant child didn't care about the values and oath he took, he just wanted to fit in. Well he does, he fits right in IN PRISON! I served in the military myself and find this an absolute selfish act. If he was truly that concerned why place your fellow soldiers in harm by releasing this? Does he not care about their safety? Slam the cell doors shut, and leave them that way!

• He got caught

Bradley or Chelsea Manning had other avenues that were available to him at the time I’m sure those documents in the hands of the right politician could have exposed the issues without being released to the world. I don’t like America as such, I’m not American, but the damage done to the countries reputation in some cases is irrevocable. People don’t consider the big picture and even now people are making assumptions based on 1% of the available evidence. Additionally Manning was clearly disgruntled with the military about to be discharged for his gender change/homosexuality. This to me is more likely the driving force behind the leaks, not some sense of greater good. I don’t think releasing these secrets have done any real good in the grand scheme of things other than to embarrass the United States and in some cases damage unilateral international relationships. The govt is to represent the people and sometimes people are better off in the dark, under democracy that is exactly what you elect, its people to represent you in your best interests. People can’t handle the truth; people can’t make the hard decisions that at times are needed to protect a country and its interests. With most first world countries, mine included, people lose sense of the reality of life, people wander around buying new gadgets living on social media being spoon fed this unsustainable levels of tolerance and global love that is an illusion. Enemies of western culture are not so forgiving, as the west as a whole becomes bloated on social niceties the “other side” is hungry and focused. Look at history, Rome became civilize and tolerant, the Mongols embraced Buddhism and became a peaceful people they are all long gone, destroyed by others not so civilized. So when you are sipping a latte reading about the poor gender confused Manning other people behind the scenes are keeping you safe and your children safe and you elected them to do that.

• He's a traitor

You cannot simply release classified information and expect to be treated like a hero. Our national security is paramount, and the release of such sensitive information not only makes it harder for the U.S. To pursue goals via diplomacy, it also scuppers many on-the-ground operations and puts lives in jeopardy. He is not only a traitor, but also a murder.

Posted by: bsh1
  • Wrong way to be a whistle blower

He did this through WIKILEAKS. Julian Assange is nothing but a glory and attention seeking man who will not hold back on releasing sensitive information or hold information hostage. There are many avenues here to be a whistle blower. Further, his download of thousands upon thousands of records was indiscriminate. He sought to expose anything and everything without regard to how sensitive the information is. I do not believe one bit that he had the interests of the US or any other country, for that matter, in deciding to do what he did. Just as with Snowden, they were in it for their own selfish reasons.

• Traitor and thief

He leaked sensitive information and betrayed the trust of the service and country he swore to serve and protect. He could very well have put the lives and security of the country on the line. He should serve time for the damage he has done but he seems to be quite mentally unstable so he should also be given the opportunity to have mental health treatment while incarcerated.

• Manning broke the law and risked himself, for justice

It's very brave of someone like Manning to be confident and strong enough to leak information about his own country with the motive of worldwide justice - not just between politicians but also for working class people.

After all, naturally, humans should be one team together and not split into groups to then become enemies? Everything we see are created by humans, nothing in the world is impossible to change, but not many use this fact.

Manning is one of the people who has made a good impact on our global society by offering his to better yours. And just because he's homo or whatever, doesn't mean that he's not strong. When he got the sentence of 35 years he told his lawyer that "it's fine, I'll make it through this". Would you say that if you were in the same place like him?

• No, and thankfully he didn't get it.

There's no way Manning deserved life in prison, and luckily the aiding the enemy charges were eventually dropped anyway. His sentence of 35 years seems harsh to me. Hopefully Obama will approve of his appeal (haha, YEAH RIGHT). In all seriousness though, this man should not be behind bars. He is not dangerous.

• No, he exposed our government lying to our faces!

Bradley Manning is not necessarily a hero by any means, but he exposed our government lying to us. He gave us the truth on what our military what up and what our government didn't feel like telling us. And he is not comparable to Snowden. Edward Snowden exposed something much bigger than the documents Bradley leaked and is a different set of circumstances.

• He is a whistleblower who exposed war crimes.!

Pfc. Manning did not cause harm to befall any American soldiers. Manning went out of his way to not leak Top Secret documents (which he had access to) that could have actually put Americans at risk. His leaks showed atrocities committed by the American military and embarrassed the State Department, but put no one in danger.

Posted by: xy
  • He's a national hero

In a democratic country, it is impossible for us to hold our government responsible if we have no idea what is going on. Usually, we can trust that the government will not hide critical voting information; however in this case we see that it was not. Whistle-blowers should be evaluated on a case to case basis, and in this case, Manning showed the public what was hidden: that the war was largely unsuccessful and that it was taking more lives than it was saving.

• Exposing crimes is not a crime

He is a Nazi soldier watching his fellow soldiers rounding up and exterminating Jews failing in his voluntary "ethical" responsibility should he decide that his government was actually the party responsible for evil acts against innocent populations and he decides to make this information public to the world?

Bradley Manning saw our government committing crimes and decided he had an obligation above Nationalism and above his Oath and he acted.

Are we as transparently evil as the Nazis? I don't think so, but only history's assessment will know for sure. I am sure we don't know the half of what crimes are being committed in the name of God and Country all over the world, but what we do know is pretty chilling already both abroad and domestically. Murdering civilians... Children... Reporters... These things are already happening. What is happening that we don't know about?

Was he selflessly doing this? Doesn't seem so, but I think his conscience should be clear that he will be vindicated in the history books.

• What, is Snowden a traitor too?

Treason is an ancient crime to punish someone for. Manning may have sworn an oath to the US military, but he wasn't aware of the atrocities committed when he did that. Morals overtook patriotism. With all the whistleblowers this generation, the USA is an appropriate country to commit reason against. The Yes voters are using Ad Hominem, personal attacks on Julian Assange, callin him an attention seeker, despite the fact that it would still run without him.

• He was exposing CRIMES

Is a Nazi soldier watching his fellow soldiers rounding up and exterminating Jews failing in his voluntary "ethical" responsibility should he decide that his government was actually the party responsible for evil acts against innocent populations and he decides to make this information public to the world?

• No, I don't think he deserves life in prison.

Leaking sensitive information should be punished. However, I don't believe Bradley Manning had any idea that what he leaked would have such a severe impact on the country. He seems to me to be a lost, lonely person, not someone who set out to aid Al Qaeda. He should go to jail, but not for life.