Does Brock Turner deserve to be on the sex offender registry for life?

Asked by: ladiesman
  • He was found guilty of three counts of felony sexual assault and served time.

Our system may not work all the time, but people are innocent until proven guilty. That means the burden of proof is on the prosecution. Apparently it was met.

I am one of those people that thinks that if you have served a punishment, then that should be the end of it. If we don't think the punishments are effective, we should rethink them. IE I don't want a sex offender registry, I want sex offenders to be punished according to the offense and I want the punishments to be serious enough to work as a deterrent.

• He victimized an intoxicated and unconscious girl

Some people are questioning whether or not Brock Turner should be a registered sex offender for the rest of his life, asking if we should treat first-time offenders the same way we treat serial rapists and child molesters. That depends on the offense; in Brock's case he does deserve to be on the registry for the remainder of his life. His victim was physically unable to resist, that warrants harsh penalties.

• Brock Turner might be the victim of political correctness running amok.

This is another case of "if you're having the sex with the drunk girl then it is the rape no matter what!" stupidity. I reviewed the events and I'm not entirely convinced by Brock Turner's guilty because it's probably one of false rape allegations committed by the so-called victim to save her face from shame and embarrassment.

No forced penetration, both were drunk to the point of near-unconsciousness and puking. Not only that, Brock Turner claimed to have so-called victim's consent. Hence, this is not the case of date rape in where preparator fixed the victim's drink to induce the unconsciousness for the purpose of rape. Brock Turner might be stupid but probably innocent. In my opinion, Brock Turner shouldn't be on the list of sex offender for the crime he was falsely accused of

Anyway, I think Brock Turner and so-called "victim" should be punished for drinking irresponsibly.
    Source:
    http://heavy.Com/news/2016/06/brock-turner-full-statement-letter-judge-aaron-persky-court-victim-rape-stanford-rapist/

• Exactly how is registration protecting people?

How can a list of sex offenders possibly protect someone? In New Jersey if you receive notification that a neighbor is on the list, you are not allowed to mention it to anyone. If you do, that can be considered harassment. Do these people not receive the same rights as everyone else after their sentence is completed? Why are we not notified when drug dealers are released from prison? They affect children too. How about drunk drivers? Unfortunately we live in a land where there is law and not mob rule. Once anyone has completed their sentence, including parole, that should be the end of it. No registration, no notification. All of this is public information anyway if you want to find it you can, there should be no legal requirement to publish it.

Heterodox says2016-09-11T14:27:53.723
Hmm, well that's interesting. I put it in the "No' side, but it is on the "Yes" side.