Does Chile remain a largely male-dominated nation despite the election of Michelle Bachelet?

• Chile remains a largely male-dominated nation despite the election of Michelle Bachelet.

Chile remains a largely male-dominated nation despite the election of Michelle Bachelet. While Michelle Bachelet is a female president, the government of Chile is comprised of a male dominated senate and a male dominated chamber of deputies. Both the Senate and Chamber of Deputies are virtually all democratically elected men.

• Yes, machismo dies slowly.

It is a good sign that many nations today, including Chile, now have elected female leaders such as Michelle Bachelet. However, the culture that spawned machismo dies slowly and in the street there is still going to be male domination. Even in the government there is still going to be a majority of males trying to make the decisions.

• Yes, Chile remains male-dominated.

Chile remains a largely male-dominated nation despite the election of Michelle Cachelet. While Michelle Bachelet's election was a positive thing for women's presence in the political stage, it is clear that the political stage in Chile is still predominantly male. I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing though.

• No, I do not think so.

Having visited Chile, the women are very open and independent there, and I do not get the sense that it is a male-dominated nation. There is a lot of old school European ways taking place there, but for the most part it seems equal. Especially because of Michelle Bachelet's election.

• It Is Doubtful

I have my doubts Chile remains a largely male-dominated nation despite the election of Michelle Bachelet. The election of female is a strong note in political and social change in a country. More women may stay in traditional roles in Chile, but that doesn't mean it is still a male-dominated society.