• Serving Detention Duty Right Now

As an educator in the profession for more than 10 years, I find that detention is often misused. However, it can constructed to be an effective deterrent, which is all we can hope for with any negative punishment. Detention is best used, not as study hall or cleanup time, but, rather, as a means of getting students attention by exhausting a students free time. In an time when parents are quick to yell at their children, a 100% silent, respectful punishment often heard... That is, if it's structured correctly.

• Yes it does

Children and adults need to look at what is right and wrong and sometimes not having someone to lead them may cause mis-behaviour needing them to be punished so that don't make the same mistakes. Its for their own benefit, and a great chance for someone to learn from them.

• Yes it does

Kids should get detention because it takes away there freedom at lunch or after school. This is an effective form of punishment because no one wants their lunch time with friends taken away. Also it scares kids into not acting out and teaches kids how to be respectful and respectful to other kids and adults. Students will try not to make the same mistakes after they have had detention also detention gives the student time to think about what they have done wrong.

• Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. No form of discipline is 100% effective for 100% of it's recipients.

For instance-for me getting a disappointing look from my teacher wounded me for days. I would never get as far as detention. My brother on the other hand could care less about looks from the teacher hated detention because he would miss the first 30 minutes of sports after school. My sister hated lunch detention because that was when she got to hang with her "girls" because they didn't have any classes together. So, missing a lunch meant you were out of the loop when it came to pertinent information like who's "going" with who, who no one was speaking to that day or who's house everyone was hanging out. I also knew kids who had detention so often one would think it was officially part of their class schedule. I believe what is important, is to make sure whatever form of discipline that is issued out is effective-which means there must be much thoughtful consideration for each individual student in that consequences should be "tailored" to fit the misconduct and the student to bring about a positive change in behavior.

• Gives them an oppurtunuty to understand their mistakes

The children cant go to lunch or recess with their friends but are instead kept in and have to either remain silent or do punishment work.
    If they are supposedly allowed to waste a teachers time during a lesson, why shouldnt the teacher be allowed to waste theirs? Its simply not okay to be ble to get away with bad behaviour

• Love detention ha

It is effective towards the student in the line of their social life because they might have made plans with their friend or lover as u may call it. So it may be minor for students that are antisocial...But, for those who are the most troublesome are usauly accepted in society...So it should at lest serve as a minor inconvenience. But, what I'm going at is that it depends WHO u give it to. Although picking up trash gives humiliation to the student which is more affective however, the student may cause more trouble.....

• Love detention ha

• Serving detention is actually affective

Detention is effective rworads students and therefore be kept.
    Ughhhhh wat I'm really trying to say is that it depends who ur giving it to.

• Detentions Help Students Realize Their Mistakes

It is true that detentions are quite boring and could be spent doing activities such as sports and making friends, However, the student must take responsibility for their actions and face their punishment. Detention helps realize that the student has done something wrong. They have all of detention to mull over the cause of their punishment.

• Nope

As somebody that was in it plenty, I can say it was a punchline more than it was anything else and nobody in it cared. I'm a college grad, I was not some rotten lost cause but that's pretty much how you're labeled when you're in there. It's not an incentive to avoid whatever got you there, it's a minor inconvenience at most.

• Not really

Detention only starts the children on a long line of understanding that when they do something wrong, they are simply pulled apart from their peers for an extended amount of time to think about what they did. I think more constructive punishment, such as forcing the kids to help around the community or help the high school or middle school with projects will spark an interest in community service, as well as giving the kid a sense of purpose. It may even keep them more busy and likely to use their time in wise ways.

• No, detention does not serve a purpose!

I do not believe that dentenion serves a purpose, because the same children are uselly back in dention for doing the same thing. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If detention, did not work the first time, the school system needs to be creative and implement another cause to correct the behavior!

• No, detention doesn't do much to improve anything.

Detention doesn't do much but prove that someone has the power to cause you an inconvenience. It's my understanding that kids that are put on detention are just basically made to waste time not doing much of anything. There's no attempt to correct the behavior that got the kid in trouble, just supposedly a set amount of time to "think about it" while not being free to do what he wants. As a form of behavior modification it really isn't very effective.

• Waste of time

Homework should be optional. Many people have many demanding lives and they might not get it done and they have to pay the price. Some will continue to not do their homework. It serves no actual purpose. What use is sitting in a classroom writing lines for half an hour if they will just do it again. Repeat offenders sure...But someone who forgot it once shouldn't be penalised and as for not non-homework detentions...Again they will re offend. Detention will not solve anything. It will just make things worse

• Detention is not needed

For me detention is the worst thing that could ever happen to me and prob everyone else on my side we all have been sent there for our ressonse and mine is because I ran from a teacher and down a flight of stears and I ran into the princible almost braking the door and he had fallen but then again I'm on both sides because we all have our resonse some might not have done anything and got blamed for it!!!????!!!!!

• Detention is pointless

Click bait headline, but I am currently in Detention right now contemplating on why I am here. I am learning nothing, because the reason I am in here is because I ran to my bus and a teacher wrote me up, because she said stop running; and I ignored her and kept on running while repeatedly saying, "Nah, Im gon' miss my bus." I hate her fat ass, probably jealous because she can't run anymore :)

• Detention is useless

I have been i detention alot and i never learned anything except what i can get away with in detention. It is just a quiet lunch with my friends because we get sent together. Detention is so useless i probably have it today for being tardy to science class those bitches

• There is no purpose

Students do not need a time to think about their "bad actions". The parents should be able to handle it. Some teachers abuse their power when it is not needed-STUPID. This is not helping kids learn- it is giving them a free period while missing class to goof off, wow, just what they need.

• Detention is stupid

It does not turn a bad person into a good person at all in detention. It will only want the kid to do more bad stuff. You can not turn a persons' past behind them in detention. It will be the kids' choice if he/she wants to turn into a good person.