• Serving Detention Duty Right Now

As an educator in the profession for more than 10 years, I find that detention is often misused. However, it can constructed to be an effective deterrent, which is all we can hope for with any negative punishment. Detention is best used, not as study hall or cleanup time, but, rather, as a means of getting students attention by exhausting a students free time. In an time when parents are quick to yell at their children, a 100% silent, respectful punishment often heard... That is, if it's structured correctly.

• Yes it does

Children and adults need to look at what is right and wrong and sometimes not having someone to lead them may cause mis-behaviour needing them to be punished so that don't make the same mistakes. Its for their own benefit, and a great chance for someone to learn from them.

• Yes it does

Kids should get detention because it takes away there freedom at lunch or after school. This is an effective form of punishment because no one wants their lunch time with friends taken away. Also it scares kids into not acting out and teaches kids how to be respectful and respectful to other kids and adults. Students will try not to make the same mistakes after they have had detention also detention gives the student time to think about what they have done wrong.

• Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. No form of discipline is 100% effective for 100% of it's recipients.

For instance-for me getting a disappointing look from my teacher wounded me for days. I would never get as far as detention. My brother on the other hand could care less about looks from the teacher hated detention because he would miss the first 30 minutes of sports after school. My sister hated lunch detention because that was when she got to hang with her "girls" because they didn't have any classes together. So, missing a lunch meant you were out of the loop when it came to pertinent information like who's "going" with who, who no one was speaking to that day or who's house everyone was hanging out. I also knew kids who had detention so often one would think it was officially part of their class schedule. I believe what is important, is to make sure whatever form of discipline that is issued out is effective-which means there must be much thoughtful consideration for each individual student in that consequences should be "tailored" to fit the misconduct and the student to bring about a positive change in behavior.

• Lesson is learned

Children will know not to repeat their bad actions to have them end up in detention in the frst place, resulting in better behaviour. And better behaivor means less distactions during lesson. And less distrations means more learnig time. And learning time affects pupils futures. I think detention improves behaviour.

• How are they not?

I once read a statement saying that detention is the modern equivalent to prison, but is it really? A pupil will only have to spend a little amount of time in a clean classroom, compared to someone else who has to sit in a grotesque cell for years. Detentions are humane and discipline. However, no punishment is 100% effective, but this way is the nearest we can get as a society.

• Yes it does,

I think that detention does a student good. I myself am a Sophomore in high school and I can tell you I hate being in detention. It takes up my time having to spend it at the school. I believe that if a kid stops caring and just keeps getting detention after detention he could put a few community service hours. After all what better way to get a kid to stop doing something than punishing him/her with labor

• Herga Florga Blorga

Wow are you seriously reading this. Wow I'm just making this to make something. Wait did this actually work. No way your still reading this. I feel so accomplished i just want to say thanks for making this happen and is this 50 words yet. Five words left two DONE!!

• Herga Florga Blorga

• Herga Florga Blorga

• Nope

As somebody that was in it plenty, I can say it was a punchline more than it was anything else and nobody in it cared. I'm a college grad, I was not some rotten lost cause but that's pretty much how you're labeled when you're in there. It's not an incentive to avoid whatever got you there, it's a minor inconvenience at most.

• Not really

Detention only starts the children on a long line of understanding that when they do something wrong, they are simply pulled apart from their peers for an extended amount of time to think about what they did. I think more constructive punishment, such as forcing the kids to help around the community or help the high school or middle school with projects will spark an interest in community service, as well as giving the kid a sense of purpose. It may even keep them more busy and likely to use their time in wise ways.

• No, detention does not serve a purpose!

I do not believe that dentenion serves a purpose, because the same children are uselly back in dention for doing the same thing. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If detention, did not work the first time, the school system needs to be creative and implement another cause to correct the behavior!

• No, detention doesn't do much to improve anything.

Detention doesn't do much but prove that someone has the power to cause you an inconvenience. It's my understanding that kids that are put on detention are just basically made to waste time not doing much of anything. There's no attempt to correct the behavior that got the kid in trouble, just supposedly a set amount of time to "think about it" while not being free to do what he wants. As a form of behavior modification it really isn't very effective.

• From experience, I believe it's bad.

I believe detentions starts students to acknowledge that when they do wrong, they are pulled away from 'society' for an extended amount of time. I would consider having an adequate punishment, such as helping around the ethos. For instance, they could help teacher's during lunch and break. Also, they could help clear litter. I believe there is a better way to think of what you did other than being in the characterless room. Being in this vague place, I think students take it as a time to, instead of thinking of what they've done, mess around as there's nothing to do.

• Cool sexy body uhhhh moaning

• Detention has no purpose to students and teachers.

The children in detention might feel inferior because they are constantly being picked on and being sent to detention. They could also feel left out of the class because they are considered 'naughty'. Then you get some people that will never change their naughty ways and never learn to deal with their mistakes.

• This is the real they serve detention

This was inspired by the other funny post that does not serve a purpose and wow why are you still reading this. It does not serve a purpose but to entertain you, the teacher, and wow this post is just like detention. Serves no purpose to. Man i really think your into this if your still reading, good bye

• Worst thing ever

Nobody cares if they spend time during lunch or after school. They will keep on clogging toilets and vandalizing buildings. They will find detention as a cool thing about how much of a rebel they are and never will account for the teacher. I am a class clown and really don't give a crap whether they put me in detention or ISS or whenever. I don't care if I get sent down to the office unless if that person has a knife and is gonna kill me.

• It makes them even more angrier

If you are a student and you keep getting sent to detention back to back, it will do nothing but make you angry. And at times students get to sleep in detention which does them no good at all. One more reason why detention doesn't help is because at times it just makes them angrier, which could cause a mass of problems.