• Serving Detention Duty Right Now

As an educator in the profession for more than 10 years, I find that detention is often misused. However, it can constructed to be an effective deterrent, which is all we can hope for with any negative punishment. Detention is best used, not as study hall or cleanup time, but, rather, as a means of getting students attention by exhausting a students free time. In an time when parents are quick to yell at their children, a 100% silent, respectful punishment often heard... That is, if it's structured correctly.

• Yes it does

Children and adults need to look at what is right and wrong and sometimes not having someone to lead them may cause mis-behaviour needing them to be punished so that don't make the same mistakes. Its for their own benefit, and a great chance for someone to learn from them.

• Yes it does

Kids should get detention because it takes away there freedom at lunch or after school. This is an effective form of punishment because no one wants their lunch time with friends taken away. Also it scares kids into not acting out and teaches kids how to be respectful and respectful to other kids and adults. Students will try not to make the same mistakes after they have had detention also detention gives the student time to think about what they have done wrong.

• Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. No form of discipline is 100% effective for 100% of it's recipients.

For instance-for me getting a disappointing look from my teacher wounded me for days. I would never get as far as detention. My brother on the other hand could care less about looks from the teacher hated detention because he would miss the first 30 minutes of sports after school. My sister hated lunch detention because that was when she got to hang with her "girls" because they didn't have any classes together. So, missing a lunch meant you were out of the loop when it came to pertinent information like who's "going" with who, who no one was speaking to that day or who's house everyone was hanging out. I also knew kids who had detention so often one would think it was officially part of their class schedule. I believe what is important, is to make sure whatever form of discipline that is issued out is effective-which means there must be much thoughtful consideration for each individual student in that consequences should be "tailored" to fit the misconduct and the student to bring about a positive change in behavior.

• Gives them an oppurtunuty to understand their mistakes

The children cant go to lunch or recess with their friends but are instead kept in and have to either remain silent or do punishment work.
    If they are supposedly allowed to waste a teachers time during a lesson, why shouldnt the teacher be allowed to waste theirs? Its simply not okay to be ble to get away with bad behaviour

• Love detention ha

It is effective towards the student in the line of their social life because they might have made plans with their friend or lover as u may call it. So it may be minor for students that are antisocial...But, for those who are the most troublesome are usauly accepted in society...So it should at lest serve as a minor inconvenience. But, what I'm going at is that it depends WHO u give it to. Although picking up trash gives humiliation to the student which is more affective however, the student may cause more trouble.....

• Love detention ha

• Serving detention is actually affective

Detention is effective rworads students and therefore be kept.
    Ughhhhh wat I'm really trying to say is that it depends who ur giving it to.

• Detentions Help Students Realize Their Mistakes

It is true that detentions are quite boring and could be spent doing activities such as sports and making friends, However, the student must take responsibility for their actions and face their punishment. Detention helps realize that the student has done something wrong. They have all of detention to mull over the cause of their punishment.

• Nope

As somebody that was in it plenty, I can say it was a punchline more than it was anything else and nobody in it cared. I'm a college grad, I was not some rotten lost cause but that's pretty much how you're labeled when you're in there. It's not an incentive to avoid whatever got you there, it's a minor inconvenience at most.

• Not really

Detention only starts the children on a long line of understanding that when they do something wrong, they are simply pulled apart from their peers for an extended amount of time to think about what they did. I think more constructive punishment, such as forcing the kids to help around the community or help the high school or middle school with projects will spark an interest in community service, as well as giving the kid a sense of purpose. It may even keep them more busy and likely to use their time in wise ways.

• No, detention does not serve a purpose!

I do not believe that dentenion serves a purpose, because the same children are uselly back in dention for doing the same thing. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If detention, did not work the first time, the school system needs to be creative and implement another cause to correct the behavior!

• No, detention doesn't do much to improve anything.

Detention doesn't do much but prove that someone has the power to cause you an inconvenience. It's my understanding that kids that are put on detention are just basically made to waste time not doing much of anything. There's no attempt to correct the behavior that got the kid in trouble, just supposedly a set amount of time to "think about it" while not being free to do what he wants. As a form of behavior modification it really isn't very effective.

• Detention doesn't discipline enough.

I have friend who gets detention every day in math because he doesn't get his homework done. I am not going to name this guy because he is in the class with me. Ok now let's get to the facts, detention is basically a punishment from teachers, but I think the parents should take care of them (if you know what I mean) because I am pretty sure he will straighten up really quick.

• No they are disgraceful detentions or as we say in Dixon's corrections

What do they corrections teach us nothing! Why? They just make you write or copy out a sheet of what bullshit no one learns from detentions only if your a goody tooshos then of course you will learn your lesson as your stupid don't be embarrassed for getting a detention !!!!!! You will obviously not learn your lesson. Some teachers are helpful and some are not . To tell the truth kind teachers are the best so be kind to them and the mean bitches that are mean and give a detention hate them as much as possible but remember be mean to them

• If anything, its a reward

Schools are giving students who did bad "a time to think about what they have done." Since when has time-out ever worked, especially on a middle school student? In reality, your actually helping them, giving them a nice, peaceful study hall to do their homework in without any distractions in a work environment. Its pretty ideal, but that doesn't mean students should try to get detention. Absolutely no one reflects on their bad decisions in detention, and frankly it just wastes the adviser's/overseer's/teacher's/everyone's time.

• I got lunch detention for not doing what was asked of me and for being late to class !

I am supposed to serve lunch detention tomorrow for not doing my assignment that wasn't even for a real class ! In my defense , the video that we were expected to watch to go along with the assignment was too low ! I couldn't hear it ! It was on 7 ! I needed to re watch the video to be able to complete the assignment but by the time i had re watched it class was over and i had not time to get the assignment done and now my teacher is saying if i don't serve it , she will give after school detention . Is that stupid or is it just me ?

• I'm in a detention right now

So, you might be wondering why did this girl get a detention she just a kid she doesn't understand well, the reason why I got a detention is stupid beyond demand. The reason I got a "D-hall" is because I was absent 10 times from my Spanish class....Yup I know stupid right I got a D-hall for being sick. That explains why they shouldn't exist enough. You also might wonder oh its probably a 30 min but no I got a 2 hour D-hall and my friend got an 8 hour D-hall. Point stated.

• No there is no purpose

Because they are ripping student apart from other students then being shamed for what they did. They need to let the parent handle there childrens punishment . At home they have more stuff to play with or watch like a tv or phone or a tablet and more . But the parents can take that away one by one and then the child can not call or text a freind i have more to say but that is going to take to long