• Serving Detention Duty Right Now

As an educator in the profession for more than 10 years, I find that detention is often misused. However, it can constructed to be an effective deterrent, which is all we can hope for with any negative punishment. Detention is best used, not as study hall or cleanup time, but, rather, as a means of getting students attention by exhausting a students free time. In an time when parents are quick to yell at their children, a 100% silent, respectful punishment often heard... That is, if it's structured correctly.

• Yes it does

Children and adults need to look at what is right and wrong and sometimes not having someone to lead them may cause mis-behaviour needing them to be punished so that don't make the same mistakes. Its for their own benefit, and a great chance for someone to learn from them.

• Yes it does

Kids should get detention because it takes away there freedom at lunch or after school. This is an effective form of punishment because no one wants their lunch time with friends taken away. Also it scares kids into not acting out and teaches kids how to be respectful and respectful to other kids and adults. Students will try not to make the same mistakes after they have had detention also detention gives the student time to think about what they have done wrong.

• Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. No form of discipline is 100% effective for 100% of it's recipients.

For instance-for me getting a disappointing look from my teacher wounded me for days. I would never get as far as detention. My brother on the other hand could care less about looks from the teacher hated detention because he would miss the first 30 minutes of sports after school. My sister hated lunch detention because that was when she got to hang with her "girls" because they didn't have any classes together. So, missing a lunch meant you were out of the loop when it came to pertinent information like who's "going" with who, who no one was speaking to that day or who's house everyone was hanging out. I also knew kids who had detention so often one would think it was officially part of their class schedule. I believe what is important, is to make sure whatever form of discipline that is issued out is effective-which means there must be much thoughtful consideration for each individual student in that consequences should be "tailored" to fit the misconduct and the student to bring about a positive change in behavior.

• Detentions Help Students Realize Their Mistakes

It is true that detentions are quite boring and could be spent doing activities such as sports and making friends, However, the student must take responsibility for their actions and face their punishment. Detention helps realize that the student has done something wrong. They have all of detention to mull over the cause of their punishment.

• Hi hi hi hih hih

Hi my name is i i i ii i i i i i i ii i ii i i ii ii i i ii ii i i i i iii i i i i i i ii i iii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiii ii i i i i i ii i i i i i

• Hi hi hi hih hih

• Serving detention is a great thing

Yes because when something the kids love and really want to do , and they cant do it that bothers them , so if you put them in detention , they will def learn . Trust me i went through that with mine , and it worked great she didn't do anything bad in school for about a couple of months , and then she went back to it again and then she just went back in detention , and she was good for a couple of months and then it started again and we just the same thing until she really learned. Trust me it works great

• Agtwthwtjgn jhbreglwh er

Efhqa;igt hb ih iu oiu giulg iulg iuhilugh ieurh islu hlu gliuhgl iuhgl iuhgi lug iluhr tiluh liu hiuh liu hliut iutl iuh idu iuh iuh igud rhiu giu giug iurt dguihgt iu iuiuliduh ligudidru ghlidrtughidh liudh iug liuhlugt liud ilughiug liudr giudrg liughligu hliug iugh iu guih iugh l gi

• Nope

As somebody that was in it plenty, I can say it was a punchline more than it was anything else and nobody in it cared. I'm a college grad, I was not some rotten lost cause but that's pretty much how you're labeled when you're in there. It's not an incentive to avoid whatever got you there, it's a minor inconvenience at most.

• Not really

Detention only starts the children on a long line of understanding that when they do something wrong, they are simply pulled apart from their peers for an extended amount of time to think about what they did. I think more constructive punishment, such as forcing the kids to help around the community or help the high school or middle school with projects will spark an interest in community service, as well as giving the kid a sense of purpose. It may even keep them more busy and likely to use their time in wise ways.

• No, detention does not serve a purpose!

I do not believe that dentenion serves a purpose, because the same children are uselly back in dention for doing the same thing. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If detention, did not work the first time, the school system needs to be creative and implement another cause to correct the behavior!

• No, detention doesn't do much to improve anything.

Detention doesn't do much but prove that someone has the power to cause you an inconvenience. It's my understanding that kids that are put on detention are just basically made to waste time not doing much of anything. There's no attempt to correct the behavior that got the kid in trouble, just supposedly a set amount of time to "think about it" while not being free to do what he wants. As a form of behavior modification it really isn't very effective.

• I'm in a detention right now

So, you might be wondering why did this girl get a detention she just a kid she doesn't understand well, the reason why I got a detention is stupid beyond demand. The reason I got a "D-hall" is because I was absent 10 times from my Spanish class....Yup I know stupid right I got a D-hall for being sick. That explains why they shouldn't exist enough. You also might wonder oh its probably a 30 min but no I got a 2 hour D-hall and my friend got an 8 hour D-hall. Point stated.

• No there is no purpose

Because they are ripping student apart from other students then being shamed for what they did. They need to let the parent handle there childrens punishment . At home they have more stuff to play with or watch like a tv or phone or a tablet and more . But the parents can take that away one by one and then the child can not call or text a freind i have more to say but that is going to take to long

• Punishment is needed, but not in this manner.

Hello, I am a freshman at a 300 student high school in a small town. This opinion is mostly bias, but this is for good reason. In our school, they do not do punishments correctly. If you wake up late for school, you get a detention. You could say anything in any way to the secretary, but they still will give you a detention. Now as this isn't a proper answer, I will go more into detail about the actual question. Detention is meant to, as seen multiple times from this debate, give students time to think about what they did. But recently, and I've seen this start to happen around 2012 to now, teachers, or Staff themselves, do not know how to give out a proper detention. They automatically assume that whatever was done was for bad reason, unless of course, it actually was. When I was in 8th grade, I almost got a detention for wearing my hood. That would make a regular detention completely useless. In all honesty, wearing a hood is nothing. What I believe is we should drop the, "Think about what you did" punishment. I do believe that we should get the "Boredom" and the "Loss of freedom." This is because, if you did do something bad, you do need a punishment. It's like getting grounded. But one more thing that is needed. Teachers; learn how to give out detentions properly. Don't abuse power, only do it for good reason. Thank you all for reading.

• NO, TRUMP fuck off!

Savage, boobs, Justin Bieber, TRUMP, elephants, hoot hoot, eating, sleeping, dancing, ballet, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, d d d d d d a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a......

I'm done now.

• It does nothing

Savage, TRUMP, eating, iqgdbdkbg y uk gxqy y id gyg k a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aa a aaa a a a a a a aa a a a a a a a a aa aa a a a a....I'm done now

• Because..No just no

I go to middle school and after 2 study halls they give you detention and
    I only had 1 real study hall this week i went to study hall to finish something that was due the next day and i dont want that study hall to be real one because im a really good person i've never had a detenion and just thinking about it is really scary and stressfull HELP ME!!!!!