• Not at all.

If anything, it helped to showcase the atrocities that occurred in that era. The movie shows how a husband and wife were separated because their 'owners' didn't approve. For trying to live free together, he was whipped and scarred then sold off and she was branded to purposefully ruin her face and assure she would never be allowed as an 'inside pet' again. Showing the mandingo fight scenes and how business was conducted only highlighted the atrocity rather than downplaying it.

• Showing reality doesn't mean the same thing as approving of it.

The movie shows the utter brutality and injustice of slavery. Some people think that that is racist or means that the movie endorses slavery, but that is completely wrong. Making a story about something doesn't mean that you endorse that something. In fact, it can be a way to show just how terrible that something is.

• No it does not trivialize slavery

No, I do not think that the movie "Django Unchained" trivializes slavery, and instead explores just how deplorable slavery really was. I think that the movie is an accurate representation of what times where like back then, and that the movie does an excellent job of showing just how bad slavery really was.

• Django was an illustrative fantasy

I thought Django Unchained was a fantasy that illuminated the state of slavery in a way a documentary never could. Do I think everything in the film is true, or even plausible? No. Do I think it was objective? No. But somehow it showed me about slavery in a visceral way. And it was funny, which is a no-no when discussing touchy topics like slavery.

• Not at all!

I think that if anything, it supports how strong African Americans were during that time period. I think it speaks volumes for what people would do if they could revision history. I think there's nothing wrong with the film. That's like saying that Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards somehow trivialized the holocaust.

• No, it provides insight that many are missing

The film "Django" does not trivialize slavery. Many scenes show the brutality faced by slaves during the time period (such as the torture methods used as "punishment" for perceived wrong-doings); it also provides insight into the the "types" of slaves and their corresponding roles on plantations. The distinctions made between house slaves, field slaves, mine slaves, and the mandingo fighters as well as the corresponding treatment of these individuals offers vital insight into the stratified "slave" society that existed at the time; something that many individuals had no idea even existed prior to the film.

• No, Far From It

'Django Unchained' doesn't diminish slavery; it shows the complexity and brutality of that in American history. There's the dynamic of 'house slave' versus 'field slave' that's depicted, as well as the brutality of mandingo fighting. Sure, it's more of western in its approach to film, but there is something more to the film than just the violence.

Posted by: rpr