Does Edward Snowden deserve the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought?

Asked by: chrumbelievable
  • He Deserves Something

I believe Edward Snowden deserves some kind of recognition for taking the steps to make people more aware of the privacy breaches created by the United States government. I believe an award that gives heed to freedom of thought would be a great honor for him and I believe it would be well deserved.

• Exposed Treacherous NSA

Edward Snowden is the hero of many Americans as he exposed his own agency, the NSA, for spying on innocent Americans by taking electronic communications and monitoring them. Snowden did so at his own peril and will never be allowed back on his native soil because he will disappear without a trace. Snowden should be awarded the prize for his bravery in standing up for what is right despite working for the very agency he swore to protect.

• No, he is not a hero.

No, Edward Snowden does not deserve the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom and Thought, because his actions are controversial. In time, Snowden will become known as either a hero or a traitor. Right now people are divided on which of those he is. Until there is a consensus on his role in history, he should not be rewarded.

• Snowden is a trader

No, I do not believe that Snowden, in any way, deserves an award, he deserves to be punished for his, in my opinion, treasonous acts. There are some things that are secret for a reason. Some information is able to cause harm to security and in some cases Soldiers that are housed in other countries. His actions were reckless and inconsiderate.

• Snowden does not deserve the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.

Snowden does not deserve any prizes because he is a thief and a traitor. If he wanted to protect his country, there were other ways to do so. He cannot claim to be an advocate of freedom of thought and civil liberties if he now works for the Kremlin and Vladimir Putin.

• Edward Snowden does not deserve the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.

Edward Snowden does not deserve the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought. He did do his job at the NSA for the American public but giving him an award seems to me to be a little premature for someone who was a whistle-blower. I do not think he deserves the award European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.

• Let's not lionize Snowden just yet.

While Edward Snowden did provide a vital public service to the American people and the rest of the world regarding the USA National Security Agency's spying, painting him as an award-worthy whistleblower might be premature at this point in time. Let's wait a decade or two to see what the lasting results of Snowden's disclosures are on the world stage.