Does electronic voting make debacles like the Florida recount in the United States presidential election of 2000 more unlikely?

• Electronic Voter Must Have Paper Backups

Electronic voting will make debacles like Florida in 2000 much less likely. Electronic voting machines must have a paper trail so that they can count votes in case of a close race. Newer machines will prevent hanging chads. However, there must also be safeguards against tampering and computer programming glitches and paper ballots must be sealed away in case something weird does happen.

• Why didn't they do it sooner

There is only one reason they have not used technology sooner in election's. Well, I guess you can say because of tradition but that would be a bit disingenuous in my opinion. It seems more like our leaders wanted to keep the option open to rig elections. That is the only reason I can think of. It is common sense to do them electronically. Politics does not have common sense though

• Yes, electronic voting will prevent the "hanging chad," but with limitations.

Yes, electronic voting machines will keep Americans from re-experiencing the political nightmare of the Florida recount in the 2000 Presidential election, but this does not mean that it makes our votes more safe or secure. Electronic voting machines are subject to tampering and hacking, and since only one or two corporations are responsible for most of the new voting machines, we should question the integrity and intentions of those who are counting our votes, whether manually or electronically.

• Yes, electronic voting is superior to traditional paper voting.

I believe electronic voting is much better than paper voting. As seen in the 2000 presidential election between Gore and Bush, paper votes are often times hard to decipher. Many paper votes were incorrectly filled out and "hanging chads" left election officials unable to decide who a voter was intending to vote for. Electronic voting is as easy as the click of a button with no ballot holes to punch.

• Yes, I think that electronic voting does help prevent problems.

I do think that electronic voting makes debacles like the one that occurred in Florida in 2000 more unlikely in Presidential elections. I think that electronic voting is a lot easier and efficient in terms of making sure the votes are accurate. I also think that voting by using paper ballots are a bit outdated.