• It does what it can.

As the other two answers have stated, ESPN is a company. A company in a capitalistic market who needs to make money to survive. The NHL doesn't bring in the money that the other sports do. The NHL has a decent amount of coverage from ESPN, and if it wants more, it'll need to stop doing stupid things like the lockout and attempt to introduce more fans to the sport.

• Yes, ESPN covers the NHL fine.

As the other answer stated, ESPN is a tv station and company like any other, and money is their paramount goal. NHL may be a fine league, but here in the US, it just isn't nearly as big a market as, say, football or basketball.
    As such, it makes sense that ESPN would cover the sports the most that get the most attention.
    However, whether or not ESPN is causing people to watch more popular sports over less popular ones is another matter.

• Yes

ESPN is a company that tries to make money. Simply put, the NHL isn't as profitable for ads revenue as the NFL, NCAA (basketball or football), NBA, or MLB are. The NHL has a smaller fanbase and as a result sees less airtime. ESPN shows as much hockey as it can, and indeed, shows it quite often despite the lower revenues.

• Less than non big four leagues

WNBA gets more coverage. So does PGA tour, NASCAR, and MLS. ESPN reduced coverage with the 04-05 lockout. Still though the NHL has some of the best playoffs in sports. If not the best. Compare my NBA playoff bracket challenge and my NHL bracket challenge. My only mistake on the NBA bracket was the finals. In the NHL bracket I had three mistakes, VAN vs CAL(Calgary, not California for non NHL fans), MIN vs STL, and I predicted the east right until the conf. Finals NYR vs TB. Much better playoffs and a surprising regular season as well. The defending NBA champions were a sixth seed in the West, where they could be a much higher seed in the other conference. The defending Stanley Cup Champions missed the playoffs. Unpredictable. Second time in the last TEN years. A much better league than the NBA and for me I love the sport every bit as much as I love Football. Spurs didn't surprise me. Kings did.

• No, hockey gets less coverage than the WNBA

Hockey is barely covered on ESPN, and the only 2 analysts ESPN has are Barry Melrose and Linda Cohn. Compare that to the dozens of NBA analysts that ESPN has and it's easy to see that ESPN doesn't cover hockey enough. Now, ESPN doesn't show hockey since they don't have a tv deal in place, but they cover international club soccer more and they don't have tv rights to any of those leagues.

• Not in a decade.

You have to go back ten (plus) years to find an era when ESPN covered the NHL adequately on television. Of course, ESPN's sportscenter coverage has long since devolved into a silly parody of news and reporting. At times, it seems as though TMZ has more journalistic integrity than the WWL.

• Not in a decade.

• Ignoring the Cup finals is weak

It is the chicken vs egg. ESPN drives public opinion instead of the other way around. They can come up with any excuse they want. If ESPN were to broadcast hockey they would find it unacceptable that the talking heads on radio and TV ignore the most exciting Cup finals in years. Instead, it is encouraged because ESPN does not have rights to the broadcast. Meanwhile, Bob Ley is in Mexico with coverage of a soccer friendly. That's right. I am sure ESPN would say Soccer spurs all kinds of interest from Americans. No. It is ESPN trying to revive a sport that has never had a pulse in this country in the first place. ESPN drives the importance of a sport by their coverage. Not the other way around.

• Not in a good while

Ever since the NHL made the (stupid) decision to leave ESPN for what was then Versus, ESPN has drastically dropped its coverage of the sport. They're still upset about the decision and it shows in their reporting, hockey doesn't exist until the playoffs on ESPN unless something nuts happens in a game.