Does Federalism function the way the Founding Fathers intended?

Asked by: heardc
  • HeardGov Britton G

I believe that federalism is working how intended. It may not be as efficient as the founding fathers intended, but the main idea of federalism is to involve more than just the national government. And as far as I am concerned that is exactly what is happening, to an extent.

• HeardGov Britton G

• HeardGov Gannon, T

I believe that federalism is still working today but just not working as good as the founding fathers thought or planned that it to work. It helps the government stay somewhat efficient but not as efficient as what they planned on it. It also allows the local gov to be more involved.

Http://www.Wwnorton.Com/college/polisci/american-politics-today3/essentials/ch/03/outline.Aspx

• HeardGov Gannon, T

• HeardGov Killion, N

I believe that Federalism is working as the founding fathers intended. Federalism allows for a flexible system of law in which the states have the power to make specialized laws that cater to their specific area, while also giving a limit to what they can do through the laws made by the national government.

• HeardGov Killion, N

I believe federalism is a good thing as it gives the states their own individual entity while still giving a limit to the power of each individual state. Federalism also makes it easier to regulate laws as the minor laws can be laid out by the states, and the major laws by the national government.

• The founding fathers chose federalism

I think since the founding fathers chose federalism and it has been working i think yes it does. Federalism helps are country be more efficient and now the government has their moments but they still manage to keep our country together and run smoothly. Federalism divides powers between national government and state government. So with that being said i think yes federalism is functioning the way the founding fathers intend

• HeardGov Adamson Cay

I believe that federalism is a good thing, and is working the way the Founding Fathers had intended it to. Federalism allows the states and government both to have power. It also allows our country to run more smoothly and is able to to help decide on what is an important issue with a more regional manner. According to bloomp.Com "When some of the power of the government is dispersed among the states, giving states the right to solve some of their own problems, you allow for more efficiency within the system."

• HeardGov Salinas P

I believe that Federalism is being enforced just as the founding fathers had intended it to be. Every state had the choice to have its own laws, but at the same time abiding by the main governments laws. It is justified and has continued to this day in doing so. https://www.britannica.com/topic/federalism

• HeardGov Salinas P

• HeardGov. Sims, C

I think it is how they wanted it to be. They wanted powers to be divided between different branches of government so there would be no tyrants in charge. It is also so one branch does not have a lot more power than another. It is an opinion based subject though so I believe it is how they wanted it to be.

• HeardGov. Gierstorf, T

Splitting the power into three groups damages the effectiveness of those groups. If the states decide differently from the central government, it could cause a fight. Just like everywhere else, our government is corrupt and is not sharing the power. The Government can cancel out the states because they have more power.

• HeardGov. Gierstorf, T

• Heard.Gov Hawthorne J

I think that the National Government has way too much power. I read an article on Atr.Gov and it states that 60% of all Americans believe that the Federal Government has too much power and had grown to unprecendented levels. The Gallop did a recent study on this on Friday September twenty seventh

• HeardGov Sparks A

I think that federalism is a good idea, however I don't think the Founding Fathers intended for it to get this way. The Founding Fathers wanted federalism to limit the powers between the National Government and the State Government. The United States took that out of hand. The American Government book perfectly says that the powers were intended to be shared between the National Government and the State Government. But between the two there is too much power and they don't know how to handle it.

• I believe that federalism was a good idea

However the Founding Fathers wanted it to be so that the powers were limited and not so that the powers got to their heads. And today there's too much power and people just aren't sure what to do. If people knew how to control the power then the U.S. wouldn't be this bad.

• HeardGov Dickson C

The initial goal of federalism was to prevent abuse of power. In theory I think that was a great idea. But, I believe federalism is not working the way the founding fathers intended. The federal and state powers are supposed to work together, however, the national laws override the states laws. Medical marijuana is legal in 29 states. According to Huffingtonpost Gerald Duval lives in Michigan, which is a state that allows farming and the use of medical marijuana. He believed his farm was protected under the state law, but because it is not protected under the federal law he is serving 10 years in prison. This is just one example of how the state and federal governments are not working together.

• HeardGov Olson E

The American Government book states that Federalism is: "a system of government in which a written Constitution divides power between a central, or national, government and several regional governments." Nowadays, Federalism is not working. It is giving the Federal government too much power over the State government. The Huffington Post states: "Regress back into your childhood and think of your father as the State law and your mother as the Federal law. You want to go to a party and stay out a little later past your curfew. Your father (State) says yes but your mother (Federal) says no. Who ultimately has the final say? 'Go ask your mother.'" Federal government has such a heavy sway over State government that it does not matter what laws the State has. Due to this imbalance in power, it is clear that Federalism is no longer functioning in the way it was first intended to. We must restore the balance of power in order to restore the true meaning of Federalism.

• HeardGov Brown G

The idea of Federalism was designed by our Founding Fathers to divide powers between the States and the Federal Government. At that time, each State had their own powers which lead to the States having too much individual power and the National Government had little to no power. Federalism was meant to strengthen and bring our Country together as a whole. Today, Federalism is not working the way that our Founding Fathers had planned that it would. Back when they had designed it, they could not have known what type of world we would be living in today or the people that would be here. “It is in decline today only because of the appetite and ambition of the federal government.” This statement is very true, we have many people at both the State and National level, that are trying to do things, that they shouldn’t or don’t need to be doing, to show who has the most power. This is definitely not what the Father’s planned. They wanted both levels to work together, which is not happening.

-https://www.Huffingtonpost.Com/kevin-price/is-federalism-practical-t_b_6605718.Html

• HeardGov Kennedy, N

I don't believe Federalism is working the way the Founding Fathers intended. I think today, the federal government possess more power over the state and local governments. Basically, the federal government has the right to suppress money from the states if they do not follow their law. Quora.Com says, "When the federal government has a right to control something, its power in such matters is greater than the states’ powers." The powers in the country need to be more balanced. This is one reason the Founding Fathers originally made the Constitution. They wanted to insure the states had equal power to the federal government so the people would feel more secure.

1234.greenecounty says2016-12-08T21:07:32.190
HeardGov(Sarah Broadbent) Federalism is a good thing because it protects the separation of powers. It gives states it's reserved powers and it still maintains national government requirements in certain powers. The constitution protects also and provides checks and balances and list certain powers to protect ever having one big source of power. Federalism provides separation of powers. " The purpose of the United States Constitution is to limit the power of federal government not the American People" - Alexander Hamilton
http://quoteaddicts.Com/i/184570