• It's Healthier to Believe Plus Science Still Allows It via Quantum Mechanics

A study showed that disbelief in free will reduces motivation, so in the first place it's healthy to believe in free will.
    Second, quantum physics shows that the 3 quarks that make up protons and neutrons that are inside of them consistently make up only 1% of their mass. The rest are gluons popping in and out of existence. From where? Science doesn't know. Now, maybe someday science will show where, but maybe not. It remains possible, even likely that our minds go down to this level, including where ever the gluons are coming from, perhaps our souls? We don't even know if the gluons come from anywhere within spacetime? This could go along with the simulation theory of the Universe that in all odds this Universe is a simulation made in another Universe, a video game basically, perhaps this "simulation" goes on infinitely which would mean we would too, and then you could have effects that essentially come from nowhere, nowhere that is except our "soul".
    This doesn't mean free will is pure. A great deal of the time I just do things without much thought. I know that then I'm just following programming from before. These are called our habits. However, we all can and do go against our habits, and changing the habits and attitudes into new habits and attitudes takes time and effort and you can feel it when you do that. If we don't have free will then what are we feeling and why are we even feeling it?
    Yes, there is most likely free will and it is exercised the most when you are working on something very very hard.

• Takes away human responsibility

To say that humans do not have free will is to then say that all human actions, thoughts, ect are determined to happen or that they will happen without choice being involved. This is a terrifying concept as it takes away responsibility from humanity. If a person kills another person then they can not be held responsible because they did not have a choice in the matter, if we follow determinism. This would be true for all crimes.

The real question should be: Can we prove that humans have free will?

• Cause and effect...

Everyone is familiar with cause and effect. But if the effect is predetermined then the cause is just an entangled illusion. The results of this very debate were determined before the debate itself was even considered. Without free will then debate is pointless, as are medicine, science, politics, etc. Why vote for a candidate when the winner is set in stone? Most of the time objects and events ARE predetermined, as mindless processes can only react to other mindless processes. But consciousness allows living beings to begin an action instead of merely reacting to one.

• Anything we do requires free will part 1

What if I said that there is not one universe but many, Could you believe that? In fact, What if there were more than anyone could ever conceive? What if I said that love lay at the center of all of them. Evil would be present in all the other universes as well wouldn’t it?, Even in heaven there would be evil but only in the tiniest trace amounts because Evil is necessary, if evil weren’t there, there would be no free will, it would be impossible, and without free will there couldn’t be any growth, no forward movement, no chance for us to become what God longed for us to be. Horrible and all-powerful as evil sometimes seems to be in a world like ours, in heaven love would be overwhelmingly dominant, and it would ultimately be triumphant over evil, so the free will would be minimal. So I choose to believe there is an afterlife because of these facts alone. Just think about it for a min. Well in that case if there were no evil then would there be free will? If everyone and everything was all love then there would not. Because… To Be Continued

• always a choice

Even when someone is peer pressuring or forcing you to do something there is always a choice. Even if someone is holding a knife to your throat or the consequence for choosing the wrong thing is death, there is ALWAYS a choice. No matter what, you can always choose to make your own decision, therefore choosing to die.

• God created free will

If Free will does not exist then why god created evil, for god loves us and raised us as his own child. The decisions we make are not in god's control but god controls the outcome of our decision. Therefore God created free will and wants us to be his faithful servant

• Free Will for everyone

If I choose to do something, is it not of my own choice?
    There is action and inaction but the choice is mine/yours.
    To me, this is Free Will.
    I have read the pro's and cons for yes or no.
    There are some who say "it's in your genes!"
    Well I have the genetic disorder, Klinefelter's Syndrome.
    My genetic make up is different to to my family, extra chromosomes.
    So much for being made in God's image!

• Yes. Free will exist; The key is on quantum physics.

You may think everything, including our thoughts, is no more than physical, chemical or electrochemical reactions that don't depend on anything else but on the status of material and energy in the previous instant, and so until the start of universe. That's not necessarily true; quantum physics have already proved that there are particles with absolutely "random" behaviours, which could dramatically change the future at every moment. Actually, according to quantum physics, EVERYTHING is possible. Everything has a given probability to happen, but absolutely anything could happen; this makes room for such things as miracles, and free will. I don't personally think that those particles that control the world are really random; I believe they are the interface layer between our world and the dimention in which our minds, spirits or souls live; allowing us to control our thoughts and decisions in this world that seems to be restricted by its laws.

• Yet you are here.

You are here because you willed it so. You are here because either you believe that free will exists, or you believe that free will does not exist. Yet this belief of yours is a thought that you created, not a thought that was fed to you. You did not have such a thought at birth. You developed such thoughts because you willed it so. If free will does not exist, then we would not be here debating whether or not free will exists. Surely if our lives were predetermined, we would not feel the need to debate about it.

• I have no choice but to say yes

If there is no free will, then everything is determined. If everything is determined, then even my beliefs are determined. If my beliefs are determined, then I'd have my beliefs whether there were good reasons for them or not. If I hold my beliefs regardless of whether there are good reasons for them or not, then my beliefs are not rational. But my beliefs ARE rational. Therefore, I have free will. It's irrational to deny free will because if you deny free will, then you undermine any basis for rational thought.

• That we do not enjoy free will does not mean that we are powerless.

Here's my opinion which I am eager to amend or revise based upon the sound arguments and proofs offered by others. Free will is an illusion. The choices we make are determined by the various factors of our life experience leading up to the moment of choice. Influences such as genetics, parenting, schooling, friends, associates as well as environmental factors and chance, including when and where we were born, all have the effect of channeling our bias towards a single decision at every life juncture. If the universe were to be replayed over and over we would likely make the same choice every time given the same conditioning circumstance. Some claim that quantum randomness has the effect of introducing the opportunity for free will though I disagree. The indeterminate nature of some sub-atomic particles only means that the universe could never truly be replayed or repeated. However, in every possible scenario even remotely like our own the sentient beings who are deciding must again find themselves as mere actors in a play produced not by their own will, but instead by the innumerable forces of precedent which brought them into a position of making a choice.

That we do not enjoy free will does not mean that we are powerless. Instead of seeing myself as an impotent puppet being guided by the invisible strings of my makeup and past experience, I instead prefer to view myself as a potent agent with the power to make a positive contribution to the life circumstances of my peers as well as generations to come. By understanding the significant force the example of my own life may have I can then actively follow my inherent bias towards optimism, love and joy and become a positive influence on my friends and family and a role model to my child and students, which will impact their choices and subsequent impact on others. This shift in perspective gives me something reassuring that the loss of free will takes away. Life becomes less a chain of unwilled choices and more a striving to make what I perceive to be my "better" choices something of worthwhile consequence to others and the world to come.

• Cause and effect

All particles follow the laws of nature, so our brains are only input output machines that evolved over time to be structured in a way that would cause the brain to "make" rational decisions. As for certain quantum particles that are completely random, they do have some affect on the physics of a brain, and make it impossible to predict everything that will happen with 100% accuracy. Despite being random, the particles do not give us free will. I cannot control the physical outcomes of those particles nor can I control the current positions and velocities of the atoms in the space time that my brain occupies.

• You can choose, but you were fated to one option.

In the same way that a ball rolling up a hill cannot just suddenly roll upwards, a person cannot suddenly make truly free will decisions without an input pushing them that way. The inputs to a person control their outputs.

Imagine you have the option to choose two forks, one is plastic and the other is metal. You've always preferred metal cutlery and have used it all your life rather than the plastic ones, so due to your past experiences and your preferences (which themselves are controlled by the brain, which is basically an advanced computer), you'll choose the metal fork. To the person making the decision, it looks like they have the option to choose either, and it could go either way until they've made their choice, but remember it wasn't random; the choice was as a reaction to various facts (such as the present options, past experiences, and genetics, among others). Your hand cannot move to pick up the plastic fork in this case, because your brain would have to permit it. You brain will not permit it because of the mentioned factors. You're presented with the options, and are unable to choose until your brain has decided on the one it'll allow the hand to pick up.

Of course, it would be silly to say it's absolutely impossible to pick up the plastic fork, so there MUST be free will, unlike the ball which has no choice but to keep rolling down the hill, right? Not quite: In order to pick up the plastic fork, the brain needs another factor to overcome this mental block for the hand to reach for the plastic fork instead. Perhaps you look closer and see the metal fork is dirty, so you choose the plastic fork. This extra factor is the equivalent of someone coming along and kicking the ball back up the hill; it's one more factor that decide's the path you take. A number of factors, impossible to measure, determine your actions.

It's only possible to either do something or not: You cannot simultaneously pick up just the metal fork, just the plastic fork, both forks and neither forks. The one you choose is decided by these factors, which were decided by other factors, which were decided by other factors. Think about it: If you were doing something, you could say you have the free will to stop, but could you really without a new input giving you a reason to? Could that factor have existed without something else causing it? For example:

You're watching tv. Without a reason to stop, you don't even think of stopping..... How can you have the free will to do something your brain is giving you a mental block on? In this case, you stop watching because you can hear the kettle's boiled. Why did the kettle just boil? Because you set it to boil, because you wanted some tea, because the shop had tea bags on offer, and so on.

• Why do it?

There is no free will. Everything we do is a sum of earlier events. The very existence of the word "why" is an argument against free will. Why did you do that? Because if I did X, Y would to that.
    Answering to a question with "why" in it claims you believe in determinism. You are just calling out the events which lead you to doing the thing that is asked. Even subjective things like personal preference are explained by events earlier. Free will is an illusion. The Matrix trilogy explains it pretty well. Neo thinks he makes a choice at the end of the last part but it was his fate anyway. How can the oracle predict the future if there is a free will? Simple, there isn't.

• Science says a big NO!

There's more scientific evidence indicating that free-will is non-existent than there is supporting evolution or the Big Bang theory.

If people can accept those things as proven then why can't they accept that free-will is non-existent?

Modern science tells us that human beings feel inside that they can choose and make choices when in reality they always uncontrollably act.

The reason why people act the way they do is because of uncontrollable reactions in their brain and body, not because they "chose" to.

Most people would already accept that there is no free-will involved in involuntary decisions, accidental decisions, certain medical conditions, seemingly impossible decisions....The only case left over is the case where you feel as if you chose.

Like for instance someone can feel as if they can run 100 mph but that's impossible...They just feel as if they can.

When you question "why you chose to do something" did you really choose to or was it because of an uncontrollable reaction? The answer is an uncontrollable reaction.

Why did I choose to type this message? It's because I felt compelled to because I strongly feel that there is no free-will. But why do I feel compelled to and that way? It's because of uncontrollable reactions in my brain and body...I didn't choose these reactions.

Conclusion: Free-will doesn't exist, contradicts all of modern science, and is just impossible.

• Influence is a Subjective Ventriloquist in Oblivion.

It is influence that dictates human behavior, choice, thoughts, ect. As this may be one of the most incredible things ever to exist in human understanding, I will explain simply. There is no human constant. No constant can be derived from human behavior, thought, or even emotion. Humans are different! Nothing binds people besides the universal subjection of influence. It is not possible to define human choice or behavior. A choice can always be fallowed with a WHY? And no one can answer that question because we don't have an understanding of influence. Sure we can say there are certain kinds of influence, but none of them can tell us why. It is because influence exists in oblivion and is quite comfortable there.

• One must be the 1st cause (God) to have free will

Free will is an illusion, and who claims to to have free will is a person with a short sight, i don't think anyone decided where to be born, what education to recive, what appeareance to have... Etc we do not chose anything, we merely respond in a predetermined way to already existing things and events

• Free will is a lovely allusion but that is it.

Yes, we feel like we make choices everyday, and we do. But no matter how many times we think "damn i shouldn't have done that" we will always have picked that same path in that initial moment of choice. We are puppets of society, our genes and the past. So yes you can decide to pick a fork over a spoon... but that's because you like forks... plus Stacy used to lick all the spoons in your house and you still feel nauseous just thinking about it. See? We think we have free will but we are just moving with the tide of cause and effect.

• Switching it off

Say you do have free will. Then presumably you have the 'free will' to switch off 'free will'. Once you have no longer got free will, how will you act any differently to when you did have 'free will' in the first place. Would you not have the ability to do one thing instead of countless other things?

• Same input, same output

Any instance, is brought into being by all that went before. So if I re wound the universe and then replayed it, the same cause effect relationships would bring about the same results. (of you want to add random quantum stuff in there, you may lose determinism, but you won't add free will with the injection of un unknown, unthought random event.

Anonymous says2013-06-02T22:54:30.870
If God - assuming that God exists - is both omnipotent and omniscient (as surely any God worthy of the name MUST be) then how CAN free will exist, as God, knowing what the future holds for all of us, had predetermined our lives even before we were born.
Anonymous says2013-06-21T05:21:13.517
I can't think of any evidence that would prove either way that free will exists or doesn't exist. So I am interested in how the question of free will arises and what role the question plays.