Does Google, the search engine giant, provide so much information that it discourages traditional avenues of learning such as studying, doing one's own field work, and taking classes?

• Google makes information accessible.

Google is an amazing search engine that allows for information to be easily available. Now for the most part this is amazing because it let's motivated people able to have the same information and education available to them as every one else. However, it does make us lazier and less critical.

• Yes

I use Google everyday and for almost every assigment,cause Im too tired to open a book and start reading but it really affects our traditional values of learning which is more beneficial for us

• In the short-term, many people may overly rely on Google. But the search engine's limitations will soon become clear.

Google cannot replace more elaborate forms of research, although it can speed up aspects of that research by pointing to useful sources that merit more detailed study. Anyone who tries to master a complex subject merely by reference to Google (or Wikipedia, for that matter) will soon encounter peers who have performed more intensive research in the same subject area in academic, professional, or other institutional settings. Time and again, these scholars will out-perform the Google-dependent researcher, or will simply develop deeper and broader subject matter expertise. This pattern of results will motivate the Google user, who has a serious interest in achieving competence in that domain, to regard the search engine as merely a jumping-off point for research. Admittedly, younger students, who may not yet be very exposed to the norms of scholarship, may need more guidance to transcend what Google and other introductory sources have to offer.

Posted by: M4I4cFeIine
  • I agree that the search engine Google, discourages other avenues of learning like studying or taking classes. Instant gratification is more applicable than ever.

It is so much easier to just get on the Internet and find what we are looking for. We no longer have to search through book after book for information, when there is a tool that brings the information straight to our fingertips.

Posted by: jizzylizzie
  • To a certain extent, I agree that the Internet (including Google) has replaced traditional learning on many levels.

I believe that Google, and the Internet as a whole, has replaced traditional studying and learning on many levels. While many students used to go to the library to study or read a book, today, most just turn on their computer or laptop and type in whatever they are seeking or studying for.

Posted by: Quibarce
  • Google has created a culture of people who use it as a hive mind, therefore I believe it discourages traditional avenues of learning.

Google and Wikipedia have raised a generation of students who have access to information fast. This has a few effects on them. First, they become impatient when trying to find information and they cannot obtain it as fast as they would like to. Second, they are less likely to cross-check the information (as we all know, there's much disinformation on the Internet) and thirdly, they do not believe they need to retain the information, since any information they potentially need is at their fingertips.

Posted by: RayEar
  • A lack of ethics and hard work, not Google, discourages traditional avenues of learning.

Google is not the internet, it is one search engine. If Google didn't exist, there are still many other search engines capable of providing information to students who are willing to cheat themselves out of an education. This issue is not one of availability, it is one of ethics. Before there was Google or even the internet, students still cheated - just in different ways. The real problem lies in the lack of character and morals in students. If students don't care how they get their grades, then they will turn to multiple sources to cheat, not just Google.

Posted by: EweIICist
  • Google, and other search engines, are just the mechanism of learning, because they supply the information.

It is up to the learner to know how to use these search engine results to their advantage. Google, case in point, gives the best basic information. But, it is still up to the researcher to find out the finer details. What we need is actually a better learning environment, suited to today's higher tech answers.

Posted by: GlisteningNelson
  • Google encourages learning, by taking fear out of asking questions.

Google does not discourage learning. It helps to encourage a learning environment. Often, students and workers are afraid to ask questions, out of fear they would appear weak or stupid. Within the safety of one's computer, individuals can research topics they have always wondered about, without the fear of looking ignorant.

Posted by: CowardlyVirgil31
  • Google is a valuable tool, but does not completely replace other avenues of study, because many of the search results are junk.

Although Google searches are sometimes very informative and valuable, the majority of most searches are junk and of no use to those serious about learning. Not everything found on the Internet is credible, and most people realize this. If Google had much higher levels of quality control, it could pose a more serious threat to traditional methods of learning.

Posted by: IgnorantCraig79
  • Although Google is an amazing service, nothing can presently beat the experience of real world learning.

As a student in college, I'm familiar with asking questions in class, reading textbooks, reading articles, and Googling. The difference between Googling to find the answer to a question, and looking it up in a book, is that when I looked it up in a book, I get a more exact, reliable, and in-depth answer, than were I to Google it.

Posted by: 54ndDavi
  • I believe that the search engine Google is a huge benefit to anyone wanting to learn more about any particular subject, because it makes the information more accessible.

The invention of the Internet and the addition of the Google search engine were the greatest additions to the field of education. Google allows the searcher to find endless amounts of information on whatever chosen topic. I think it allows the viewer to experience things beyond their front door. It has text, video, and and much more to learn, from many angles. There are a few people that do take advantage of the search engine with cheating, and not doing as much legwork as in the past. But, overall, I believe it is a great tool for learning outside the box, and users have a great advantage by using it.

Posted by: HalfDale33
  • Google's searches actually help with learning and searching by inspiring curiosity.

Prior to the availability of Google searches, if there was a topic I was wondering about but did know know much about, I would just let it go. Now with Google I almost always take the time to look into the issue that I have in question. In fact I find myself being more and more curious about things because of this.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • Traditional avenues of learning are not discouraged by Google and other search engines, but are important tools.

Information tools like Google Internet search are valuable to aid in traditional learning. They more quickly provide relevant information to assist the individual obtain knowledge. The results that are provided by search engines are obtained much quicker and can easily be assessed as to whether or not they will be worth the effort of study.

Posted by: P03tPoId
  • Google only makes information more accessible and makes researching more streamlined and time-efficient.

While many traditional sources for research material have dropped in popularity in favor of internet search engines like Google, I don't think that Google has detracted from traditional avenues of learning such as studying, doing field work or taking classes. Google is used as a supplement and as a source of fast access to information. Other methods of research have become outdated compared to Google.

Posted by: KBartlett20
  • No, Google can't answer questions in real time that people might have.

Although being able to access information on just about anything is fantastic, it can't replace live, real time, hands-on learning. People need to be able to have questions answered as they go along, they need to see for themselves how things work sometimes. Google isn't interactive, and that is where the human side of learning comes into play. Sometimes people need help from other people.

Posted by: PinkMych