Does having faith in something you can't see give you meaning in life?

Asked by: Adam2
  • It does. It makes it worth being happy

I believe that faith makes us part of something bigger. I am a Christian so I admit that my response is a bit biased, but I can't lie: having faith makes life so much more fun. It brings lasting joy to my heart and mind. It's good thing to have faith

• Yes because without faith what would people have?

Believing in something that is not visible or obvious allows humans to continue and be strong in situations where nothing tangible seems to be helping. For example if someone has lost there home, job or money then they need something to keep going, there is nothing physical or "real" that could allow this, it simply must be the belief that at some point everything will be okay again. This cannot come from something that you can see but instead is more spiritual.

• It Does For Me

Let me answer this the best way I know how. I have faith in my mother. I ask for help she will surely help me. If she doesn't then I won't feel bad because I have faith that her reasons for not helping me are genuine and not out of spite. She sometimes does this to teach me a lesson. When she doesn't meet my exceptions, I am puzzled and shocked. I love my mother, so I try and understand her personality in order to not lose faith in her. The point I am making is that in order for faith to have some meaning in my life, I have to work towards it. In my case, it's by having a good understanding relationship with my mom. If I take my mom for granted I won't have faith in her.

• Very open question,

Which leads to an almost universal answer. The question doesn't say anything about God, religion, or a higher-power, only in "something you can't see." I can't see next week's paycheck, though I believe it'll come. I believe my life will get better than it is right now. I believe the world won't erupt in a fireball tomorrow. I believe all these things, but they aren't religion-based, as I'm guessing the question was intended to reference.

Based on the wording of the question, if anyone actually said "no," they're saying they have nothing to hope for in life. I'm with "yes."

• Yes oh yes

However, on it's own having faith in an invisible man doesn't give any more objective meaning than not believing in him. What difference does it make if we believe that the rain is a result of the weather or that it came from a big guy in the sky besides one of them clearly being wrong? If you believe in heaven, then how does heaven give anymore meaning to life? It simply doesn't. Heaven is a nice incredibly unlikely outcome, but it's also a superfluous one which simply isn't needed and adds nothing. It's a lot like adding 'And they lived happily ever after' in a book but not resolving any of the actual plot or characters. So, yeah, it gives subjective meaning, but that's really it.Let me answer this the best way I know how. I have faith in my mother. I ask for help she will surely help me. If she doesn't then I won't feel bad because I have faith that her reasons for not helping me are genuine and not out of spite. She sometimes does this to teach me a lesson. When she doesn't meet my exceptions, I am puzzled and shocked. I love my mother, so I try and understand her personality in order to not lose faith in her. The point I am making is that in order for faith to have some meaning in my life, I have to work towards it. In my case, it's by having a good understanding relationship with my mom. If I take my mom for granted I won't have faith in her.

• It gives you whatever meaning you let it give you

However, on it's own having faith in an invisible man doesn't give any more objective meaning than not believing in him. What difference does it make if we believe that the rain is a result of the weather or that it came from a big guy in the sky besides one of them clearly being wrong? If you believe in heaven, then how does heaven give anymore meaning to life? It simply doesn't. Heaven is a nice incredibly unlikely outcome, but it's also a superfluous one which simply isn't needed and adds nothing. It's a lot like adding 'And they lived happily ever after' in a book but not resolving any of the actual plot or characters. So, yeah, it gives subjective meaning, but that's really it.

• I believe it does give you a meaning in life

I am a Muslim and believing in Allah ( God) someone not visible to the human eye gives me meaning in life, as it helps me to understand that even when things are bad in life you are never alone and that wherever you are facing whatever difficulties that arise, you have support and guidance when you need it most. It also helps when you lose loved ones as you are at peace in your heart to know that wherever they are they are being looked after and protected by Allah and that they are not alone.

• I believe that the answer is obvious

I believe in gravity, but my belief in it does not make me feel that my life has any more purpose than if gravity didn't exist. I suspect that this is simply a poorly asked question intending to ask "Does the belief in a god give your life a purpose." Then the answer would be conditional upon the god If I believed that a god made us and left us alone, that would give me no more purpose for my life than if I didn't believe in him.

• Faith limits the human experience

Living your life in hopes of a god and an afterlife is to live your life wasted. There is no meaning in that. By recognizing how finite and short life is, you realize how important it is to do something to better humanity and yourself. The point of life is to live right now.

• No it does not

This really all depends on what you define "meaning of life" as. Meaning of life for me is simply to do something with your life, not some giant philosophical or religious meaning of life. Some people believe meaning in life is to serve God or do something specific. I do't believe there is a meaning in life unless people want there to be a meaning and make a meaning. My mom has faith in God but that doesn't give her meaning in life. What gives somebody (and her) meaning in life is to use their life. For my mom, she believes in theism because it gives her reassurance and a sense of security which allows her to do something with her life instead of being scared about what might happen or what could happen. I don't have faith in God, but I have meaning in life because I decide to do something with my life each day. I don't see 'meaning in life' as some superb thing like a lot of people want it to be but more as more of just doing something with your life at all. My mom needs to be apart of something bigger than herself in order to think she has a meaning in life but I don't think she needs theism or faith in anything in order to have a meaning in life.

• No, not at all

Assuming by "something you can't see" we aren't talking about air, or magnetism, but rather, "something we don't have evidence for, faith is gullibility, and it is a very bad thing. Not only do I make it a point not to believe things without evidence, I can't even imagine how such a thing could give you purpose. It doesn't make sense.