Does having only one seat in the state Congress appear discriminatory toward potential female candidates?

Asked by: Yapsda
  • one seat at-large in congress limits the chance of women candidates because preference goes to men during election..

This has been the case in the Federated States of Micronesia Congress since its establishment of its Constitution in 1986. Men only have been taking that one seat. Debating issue is seeking to amend ARTICLE IX Section 8-Legislature to add additional seat for women only from each four states on the basis of state equality for a four-year term.

• Not inherently it isn't.

Due to having only one seat in the state Congress, there does seem to be a potential discrimination towards female candidates, however that unfortunately is the state of society of a whole and even if there are more seats, they would still be filled with men as the majority believe men make stronger leaders based on the view of sexuality in the country and the world. Is it right? No of course not, but sadly it cannot be changed so easily.

• You can't help people's preferences.

I'm not a mysoginist. I understand that women should be given the same rights as men in every aspect of american government, even for the executive office of President of the United States. However, I do not think that having only one seat in the state congress appears discriminatory in any way shape or form towards potential female candidates. Male candidates are much more popular candidates only in the eyes of the people. Women candidates have been picking up steam but men are still the much preferred choice. This is not because all of america is a bunch of women-hating people, it simply means that psychologically we see men as a much more favorable leader than a woman, and probably so because we are not used to having women as candidates for any office until very recently in comparison to other countries and in american history itself.

• I am against afirmative action.

My hope is that one day, race, creed, gender and sexual orientation will not be a factor in what job a peson gets, what officce they hold, how much money they make or how they are treated by society. If is my belief that if we start treating everyone equal and discourage all types of discrimination, positive and negative, we will move towards a world that truly non-descriminate.