Does heavy metal music cause violent tendencies

Asked by: skyler743
  • It is science

Music in general can change your mood. Your prefrontal cortex changes based on sounds and determines impulses. Heavy metal music is typically very loud and obnoxious, meaning your prefrontal cortex will determine that the music is making you on edge. Studies have shows that loud music can effect your state of mind. It is simply Nurture with Nature on this one. OP is biased in his views.

• It is simple science.

Music effects your prefrontal cortex, the area that helps process emotions and decision making. This part of the brain is trained to determine that loud sounds will make you on edge, due to human development. OP is clearly biased in his views and is trying to give himself a sense of pathos from himself. He is completely disregarding science.

• Nah probably not

Performers like Slayer, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne and Marilyn Manson (among others like Megadeth) have all been the proverbial scapegoat in numerous suicides. Many parents of victims have brought bands to court, claiming that backwards messages (messages heard when music was played in reverse) and blatantly aggressive lyrics were the cause of their children's violence and/or suicide. This was often to no avail, however. Most cases were thrown out, whether it was due to a lack of evidence or the "Freedom of Speech" amendment.

• Let me just ask you this

First off you said that music does effect your dicisions and that might be true but you have not provide any sientific studies nor any examples of murder, sexuall assult, or just violence in genral caused by heavy metal. Therefore your arguments are supported an even if you found a case of violence and the person listened to heavy metal you have no eidence that this guy was caused to do this by heavy metal. Peace out :)

• It influences emotions, but the person ultimately makes his or her own choice.

It influences emotions, but the person ultimately makes his or her own choice. Music does affect the chemicals in our brain but so does many other inputs. A human can resist their own emotions. No matter ho big the emotional pressure is, some people can resist it and choose no to be violent, ask MLK.

• Metal music doesn't cause violent tendencies

Yes for some people it will give you an angry feeling but that feeling always passes. Also it is extremely good to listen to while you work out. There are also multiple types of metal you can listen to. There is uplifting metal like Demon Hunter. There music talks about being a better person and helping people. But there is also bands like slipknot who's lyrics are pretty dark and will get you angry. But i still don't think it will lead you to violent tendencies.

• It does the opposite

We cannot say ALL metal has pure meaningful lyrics to make us calmer, but most of it really does. People say all this "screamo" just says "I AM GOING TO KILL YOU" but if they have ever heard a metal song they would know they are wrong. It makes me a a lot calmer, I am a dedicated fan and i never feel violent, in fact i am a very passive person

• Wow just wrong

Jhbcjhsbvhshvjhsvhshujhs jhn d d d d d d d dd dd d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d slipknot is bae

• I am ok

I dont feel like killing anyone, instead i feel more calm. Metal conducts the heat, letting the heat, meaning anger, escape through the thoughts of the individual as it is played. A hot headed person always find ways to cool themselves, or i could say conduct themselves, by listening to metal. And thus proving that metal soothens the listeners

• Not my fault society.

I have listened to Heavy Metal Music my whole life. To say that it causes violence is ridiculous. It is a cope out by parents and society. My parents raised me correctly and I am raising my kids correctly. Blaming music is an easy way out. Bad people will do bad things. Good people don't. I guess before heavy metal, no crimes were ever committed. Give me a break.

• It all depends on what you're listening to and how you're interpreting the lyrics.

Many heavy metal songs are about not caring what other people think. Just because a few songs talk about things like self-harm doesn't mean the entire genre preaches a bad message. If you actually take time to listen to a lot of heavy metal artists (i.E. Linkin Park, Sleeping With Sirens) their music mainly focuses on how they won't let other people change/control them. I won't deny that there are some songs about violent topics, but that doesn't mean that the music has negative effects on people. Some of this may just be people misinterpreting the meaning of the lyrics. For example, the song "Better Off Dead" by Sleeping With Sirens may be taken as a suicidal song, but the lyrics are really asking a question: Why didn't anybody see that this person was seriously depressed and considering suicide? Songs like that could potentially be heard wrong and give a completely different message than the artist intended.

• Calming our nerves

While the lyrics may be violent, this actually calms and relaxes many fans of the genre such as myself. I believe this is because it helps us cope in our own way. We mainly need to be relaxed because of how people are constantly making fun of our music. People would riot if the same things were said about metal was used to describe pop music.