Does home-schooling provide a decent education?

Asked by: myk97
  • Yes, homeschooling can be very effective.

My only problem with homeschooling is the fact that homeschooled kids don't get introduced to as many people, which could potentially lead to social problems in the future. However, I have several friends who were homeschooled and turned out great. Like myk97 said, it has to be done right for it to be effective.

• Yes; Although it all depends

Personally, I was home-schooled from 1st through 12th grade. For high-school, I joined the home-school program, Classical Conversations, which is a Christian-based program that I believe provided me with an incredible education. Do I believe home-schooling is a decent education, yes, depending on the way you do it. There are home-schooling families I know whose children wake up at 6:00 am, begin work at 7:00 am, and don't stop until 5:00 pm, with the exception of a half hour lunch. They go above and beyond int their work and their standardized testing scores are mostly above average. In this case, yes, home-schooling is most definitely a decent form of education. However, there are other home-schooling families I know whose children wake up no earlier than noon, work until about 3:00pm, and don't accomplish more than reading the chapter or two of a book and completing a few math problems. In this case, home-schooling is not being done correctly and is thus depriving the kids of a decent education. Bottom line, when home-schooling is "done right", it can go above being just a decent education; it can be incredible.

• No, only to a certain point.

Although I've never been home schooled, I would say that the Education differs greatly from actual school education. Mostly because your parents are usually the teacher, so he/she can probably help you more than you need to be helped. You most likely wouldn't learn as much, you probably cheat a lot, and you can really never fail.