Does international adoption harm the market for needed domestic adoptions?

• International adoption harms domestic adoptions because international adoptions are easier and cheaper.

Many families make the decision to adopt abroad because of the mountain of bureaucracy and staggering costs that have to be met when adopting domestically. With a fraction of the money and time, a family can procure an infant abroad. Often, the process takes only a few months, compared to a process that can sometimes take years when adopting domestically.

Posted by: J Lamb 43
  • I believe that international adoption harms the market for needed domestic adoptions.

There are too many children needing domestic adoptions, and by having so many international adoptions, we are taking away from those domestic adoptions. Many people are adopting internationally because it is more publicized than domestic adoption. There are so many children that need homes in America, but we adopt overseas because it is easier to do.

Posted by: CuriousEdgardo53
  • Americans should adopt in this country before looking in other countries for children, because we have too many children that need homes.

There are over 100,000 children in foster care in the United States that need to be placed in a good home. Any American wishing to adopt a child should first look in their own country, before going elsewhere. Although it is noble to want to take children from countries with low standards of living and give them a good home, there are very needy children in our own country.

Posted by: GaudyTory37
  • No, because if people cannot find adoptable children in their country, there's no reason not to go abroad.

Given that there are children everywhere in need of a loving family, and given that parents can face significant difficulties adopting within the U.S., international adoptions are perfectly reasonable. My only qualm would be that if native children are being passed over because they are perceived as damaged goods, for whatever reason, and the parents want a baby without any problems.

Posted by: JaylinH
  • I think that international adoptions hurt domestic adoptions because it is easier to get younger kids from international adoption.

I have heard that the domestic adoption process is so lengthy and costly that many people look to countries other than our own to adopt. They can travel overseas where the regulations may not be as strict or time consuming. That leaves a tremendous number of children in this country in foster care or worse.

Posted by: Qu3yArtem
  • I would have to say that international adoption does harm the market for domestic adoption.

There would be more children adopted in the United States if Americans could not go abroad to adopt. The paternal instincts are very strong and for those who cannot conceive a child naturally adoption is the only possible way. For those couples the adoption process in the U.S. can be very long and painful. They may want a baby instead of a toddler or older child. Going abroad to adopt a child can be less restrictive. However, if this was not an option then parents who really want a child may be more willing to take a toddler or an older child instead of a baby. With that being said I would also like to add that no matter where the adopted child is from I have nothing but respect for those who would take another persons child into their home and raise it like their own.

Posted by: w00tboycomic
  • International adoptions does not prevent domestic adoptions, but new "open adoption" laws do.

Prospective adoptive parents have increasingly sought out children internationally. Many of these parents choose to find their children overseas, because of adoption regulations in the United States that require adoptive parents to keep in contact with the biological parents throughout the child's life. While some new parents, such as writer Dan Savage, have found this arrangement to be a welcome addition to the family, others have concerns about disruptions to their families. Since international adoptions do not carry these requirements, many parents choose that route.

Posted by: P3nrIin
  • No, because there is as much a need for international adoption as there is for domestic adoption.

No matter where orphaned children come from, there will always be a need for families. It is important that parents in the U.S. are able to go elsewhere to adopt. It benefits the culture in the U.S., as it allows for more of a melting pot of people. Because of long waits to adopt domestically, it only makes sense to allow international adoption.

Posted by: TedieDelight
  • No, because a lot of people who adopt international babies only do so because they are fascinated by the prospect of having a foreign child.

People who adopt don't always do so for the benefit of children. There are many children in need of good homes and are never adopted. I think people who adopt international babies are drawn in by the allure of being more "cultured", and they may never have chosen domestic adoption if foreign adoption had not been a choice.

Posted by: lacharas
  • International adoptions are still needed.

There are so many children in the world who need permanent homes why just limit adoption to domestically? Doing so does not harm domestic adoptions. As a parent of two children adopted from China, I can speak from experience. When my husband and I began the adoption process we did consider domestic adoption. Every state in our country had different laws regarding adoption. In the state we lived in the birth mother could change her mind and keep the baby up to 30 days after the child was born. Also many women in the US give up their babies for adoption only to later change their mind or have the father or relatives want to take the child back. Adoption is a wonderful way to have a family but limits on where a child can be adopted from are not needed.

Posted by: M Albert 103
  • The international market does not harm the market for needed domestic adoptions.

The needed domestic adoptions are very few. In that sense persons looking to adopt have to be in a waiting list that may take from a few months to a few years. There are many needed adoptions in other countries, so persons and couples waiting to have a child at home as soon as possible prefer to go to those countries and they do not have to be in a very long waiting list.

Posted by: l0olllooi
  • The adoption of any child should be considered a blessing and a chance for them to have a better life, regardless if the adoption is international or domestic.

I don't think that international adoptions hinder the market for domestic adoptions. Children all over the world need loving homes and parents. Domestic adoptions carry greater risks and can take longer than international adoptions but that should call into question the process, but not the results. If our government would allow homosexual couples to adopt, I believe we could see an increase in domestic adoptions as well.

Posted by: D35General
  • I don't think international adoption harms domestic adoptions because it's already a flawed system.

I think people choose international adoption because you are able to get a baby more quickly, and because people are less likely to have a baby that was born with drugs in it's system. The days of getting a healthy baby from a 16 year old girl "in trouble" in the US are long gone. Girls are choosing abortion or even to raise the children now. Those placed for adoption are more likely to be children taken into custody due to abuse and neglect, and therefore prone to learning and behavioral problems. I think people are seeking international adoption because they are less likely to end up a with a child with deficits, and because their system is more efficient than ours is.

Posted by: CestbardeI
  • International adoptions are popular because domestic adoptions are so costly and difficult to achieve.

Having been through the process myself, I can tell you that the domestic adoption program is a mess. The requirements to qualify are taxing and burdensome, and usually have little to do with the child's well being. Overseas adoptions, by comparison, take very little time and about the same amount of money. And usually come with the feel-good idea that you are taking a child out of utter desolation and poverty.

Posted by: R0II4Icy
  • Most people who want to adopt are so desperate to be parents, they do not care where their children come from, be it America or afar!

From all of the stories I have heard of people trying to adopt, they have tried to adopt inside this country, but were told that the wait would be extensive. They would have possibly preferred an American child, but knowing how long the wait would be, chose to take another option. Regardless of where a child comes from, it is very expensive and the process to make the adoption happen is very rigorous. I think given the choice, most people would not want to deal with all of the legality of adopting a foreign child, if there were more children, probably more babies, in America to adopt. Most people who make it through the adoption process go through so much, that only the most loving and loyal people make it through, people who do not seem to care where a child comes from, just that they get to have their own child.

Posted by: lachercheuse
  • International adoption does not harm the market for domestic adoption because the markets are very different and have unique customers.

The international adoption market is very different from the domestic adoption market in that most people that adopt domestically are not likely to adopt internationally and via versa. Also families that adopt tend to adopt more than one child. I know that in my family we adopted two kids and it was in the domestic market. Those who feel adoption is important tend to adopt domestically. Generally movies stars adopt internationally and make a big deal about it. These are very different customer bases and I feel they won't be affected by each other.

Posted by: T Richmond