• Yes and we need it to stop

The cost of college education is thousands each year for in state tuition, and more for out of state or private schools. Almost no teenagers (the age going into uni most often) can afford that, even the ones who are employed, because the only jobs available are not high paying enough

• Yes, for sure!!

That's why so many people that graduate end up in thousands of debt. Trust me, I'm already getting hounded about paying back loans and I'm only going to be a sophomore!! I think people coming out of high school need to do aggressive research and apply for grants and scholarships. Loans should be a last resort.

• College is a hustle

College is a means of maintaining the class hierarchy. Attendees are even taught in class-rooms. It is free in some countries that are less economically wealthy than this one. It should be free here. Most have to get loans that they will have to work a long time to pay off. This is a form of debt slavery. Besides, it's not what but who you know. College is more about programming you to be a worker for someone else than it is about educating you to be a conscious individual.

• Straight up expensive!

I know about scholarships, but they don't cove EVERYTHING. Some people can afford college and are really smart and deserve to be in college but its just too expensive. My parents saved money from they day i was born to put towards my college funds, when I was young, I thought, "Dude, I want a scholarship so bad." I thought, "I'll fight to get a scholarship." But later on I was like, "Scholarship? Meh, I Don't need it, I bet I'll be able to afford college, I mean, its nice to have a scholarship, but I don't need it." I'm lucky to be able to afford college.

• College is still for the elite

The cost of tuition has always made it something for the privileged. Students can get loans, grants and scholarships but they don't always cover everything and some students drop put because they can't afford to live, or their studies suffer if they have to work. It deprives some of a chance to make the most of their intelligence and fees deter people rather than encourage and inspire.

• The cost of going to college has skyrocketed while the value has stayed the same

According to the Institute of Education Sciences, the cost of undergraduate tuition, room and board in inflation-adjusted dollars rose 40% at public schools and 28% at private schools. The average – not elite, average – four-year private school education now costs over $150,000. As a country, we should be trying to find ways to bring these costs down so that the children who deserve the educational opportunities these colleges provide can afford to take advantage of them.

• Yes, It College Costs are Outrageous!

The cost of college is crazy! College is more-or-less a requirement to get any sort of job these days. Most students are forced to apply for student loans to pay for college, because part-time jobs aren't enough to cover the costs of books, room and board, classes, etc. It's a shame because most of the time students will have a hard time paying back their student loans and there is no promises they will even be able to find a job after they graduate.

• College costs far too much

College costs too much for the average student to afford it without saddling massive debt. The increase in tuition has far outpaced inflation. College professors and instructors are not seeing those increases. Colleges charge so much because the focus is no longer education; it is on amenities. Colleges offer dorms, workout facilities, and dining options that rival those provided Olympic athletes, and students have to pay for them even when they don't use them.

• Not Everyone Needs a College Education

Tertiary education remains a luxury and not a necessity (though that may change in the near future). Not all jobs require a college education, and in some cases it is actually not worth it.

In addition, the United States is primarily a capitalist economy. There are many factors that go into running a college/university that drives up the costs. This is especially true for private colleges. For universities, the best way to deal with these costs is to distribute them to their paying customers (the degree-seekers). Universities typically do not consider the benefit to the degree-seeker as much as they consider their own costs of operation.

The issue is not that the university costs too much, the issue is that people believe a college education is the magic bullet to having a financially rewarding life. In reality, obtaining a college degree is more of a pursuit of knowledge and of broadening one's horizons than of the promise of a cushy job after finishing the program.

Most employers have noticed that college graduates have something that most high school graduates do not have...The ability to learn and think on a higher level. Employers are willing to pay a premium for that expertise, but they are also bound by their own income and expenses. They cannot offer as much money as it takes (in the short term) to completely justify obtaining a college education. Thus, making the argument that in some cases obtaining a college degree is not worth the pay-raise is perfectly valid, but the argument that the employer or the college should raise their wages or lower their costs respectively is invalid (because of basic economics).

It is just common sense that if long-term benefit of college education isn't worth the short-term cost, then that person should not pursue a college education (and thus end up worse off than they would have been without a college education). If it is worth the short-term costs, then the person should unequivocally pursue the degree.

The only thing that has changed from decades ago to now is the number of people who feel that college is the only logical choice after high school and who feel that they must get a college education regardless of the costs. In prior decades, only those privileged enough to afford it received the education. In recent years, many people have felt entitled to more education (which is why more people believe college costs too much).

It might sound like elitism, but a college education *isn't* for everyone, contrary to what popular opinion states on the topic. It is only logical that a financial barrier should exist to separate those who really want the education from those who only pursue it because they think it looks good or is necessary to be successful.