Does it take more faith to believe in God than not to believe in Him?

• Absolutely it does

To look at everything in the universe and not think that it all had a creator takes an immense amount of faith. Believing that all life evolved from a common ancestor without sufficient tangible evidence takes a lot of faith. Atheism very much is a faith and maybe I just don't have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Which society? Ours, of course it is harder to be openly non-religious.

If a society is in a postivistic state (a society that is based on science and rejects religion) it takes much more power and 'faith' to believe in a God when you're society blatantly rejects the notion of religion, let alone a "God" figure. If the society is in a metaphysical state (a society that has religion as well as science- a transition if you will) then it is much easier to adapt to the concepts of a God or God like figures.
    I feel to believe in a God is easy when everyone else does but is much harder when most people do not believe in higher power. In American society today I feel that it is much easier to believe in God rather than not and needing to constantly defending your views while those are religious (specifically mainstream religion) do not suffer such ridicule on a regular basis.

• Religion takes faith, atheism takes critical thinking

It does not take any faith to not believe in God. It takes clear, critical thinking about what logically makes sense and what seems more likely to be a fictional story. It takes, perhaps, something harder than faith, though. You have to think. You have to listen to what YOUR mind says, rather than the thousands of damning voices around you. You have to let go of some difficult things, like the security religion provides. I don't know which is harder, but, no, it does not take faith to deny something that logically can not exist. It takes a clear mind.

• What a ridiculous question. What's more ridiculous is how many people miss the point.

Does it take more faith to believe in Ghosts than it does to not believe in them? Does it take more faith to believe in Witchcraft than it does to not believe in them? Does it take more faith to believe in Ancient Greece's Zeus or Ancient Egypt's Sun god Ra than to not believe in them?

Of course it does! Yet all of these were, at one time, accepted by a majority of persons in a significantly sized society, just as the Islamic Allah or the Christian's Jesus is today. Just because lots of people agree with you doesn't make it correct.

Plenty of people once believed the world was flat, and those who pointed out otherwise were just as reviled as those who point out the ridiculousness of religious belief today.

• You need much more faith for atheism than for believing in God.

I'm seeing a lot of atheists out there saying you just need science and logical/critical thinking for atheism, yet they give no examples of this "science or logical thinking". For anybody wondering the chances of the world "just happening" are insanely ridiculous. For further clarification please read the Wall Street Journal article, Science Increasingly Makes the Case for God, there is virtually no chance this world is survivable by accident. To say such a thing requires a huge lack of intelligence and logic, contrary to the way atheists tend to compliment themselves. It is entirely more logical to support an Imaginative Creator than the slim chances of whatever atheistic creation theory you might put your faith in. As for myself, I don't like to put down one solution and not present a different one; so I'll make my case for Christianity. Now there are countless arguments to prove God's legitimacy that don't require some mystical faith (please see an educated Christian for answers, and don't just browse the Internet). My favorite one is discovering God's existence through Jesus. Now pleeeease don't tell me Jesus is some fairy that never existed or that he didn't actually do the things described in the Bible. Please read the Case for Christ for further clarification; a book by an ex-atheist journalist who went on a journey to see just how accurate Jesus and the Bible are. I surely didn't (and I'm sure you don't either) have the time to go on a nationwide search for the answers to the Bible and Jesus, so they're all quite nicely summed up in this book. I can assure you this book will convince you of the accuracy of the Bible and of Jesus's life. So once you come to the conclusion that Jesus did what he did, you have to ask who he was. Down to the core there are only three options: he was crazy, a liar, or the Son of God. After contemplation and study (once again, please approach a real Christian with any questions you are struggling with, not the Internet) , you will find it obvious Jesus was the Son of God. And so, for there to be a Son, there must be a Father. Jesus's very life proves that there is a God. See, you just have to take things one step at a time. You don't start with the question, "is there a God?". It's like climbing a ladder, and at the top you will undoubtedly come to conclude the truth that there is a God. You must start a ladder at the bottom, not the top. God's legitimacy is apparent in several ways. Faith can be useful when dealing with Christianity, but it is not necessary. The same can not be said for atheism, not even remotely.

• Logical deduction ...

I feel that it takes far more faith to believe in something that has the evidence pointing against it. Whilst it is true that 'science' in itself can still be considered a 'belief system' (based on the idea that we can never really 'know' anything until we have experienced it ourselves, and thus accepting scientific research or theory has an element of trust to it), it seems that accepting an idea that goes against the best evidence we have at the time requires more faith than following logical deduction.

• No

Believing or not believing in "God" does not correlate to an individuals faith. If an individual was born into a religious background that believes in God does not make him/her more faithful than someone who did not get exposure to religion. Imagine, if religions were abolished from human culture would that mean we have lost all faith?

• No, Lack of Faith Requires More Faith

Not believing in god actually requires more faith than believing in him because you have to reconcile yourself to the fact that your actions are your own responsibility and that there isn't some greater power out there that is going to protect or save you if something goes wrong. Also, where death is concerned you have to have faith in the fact that when it's over, its over. There is no heaven or hell, we all just end up in the ground as worm food.

• No, not believing in God takes much more "faith."

Most people know that there is a higher power. While it does take some people a while to believe in God in a way that is logical or comfortable for them, it takes a lot of faith and willpower to believe that there is not God at all. Everyone sees God differently, but many people in the world, even those who are not Christians, would say that there is, indeed, a God. The notion that there is no spiritual being looking out for the well-being of humankind takes a tremendous amount of faith.