Does Jimmy Swaggart's net worth throw doubt on the value of his ministry?

• Theft is not looked well on by God.

A man of the cloth if exstacting large amounts of money from his church will perish spiritually. When I see these ministeres on tv obviously fleecing People for money I cringe because I anticipate god striking them down right there on camera. There needs to be accountability for how they take advantage of people so they can live lavish life stiles. They should be prosecuted just like some body on Wall Street that steals from unsuspecting individuals. There is no difference. Theft is theft. Just like medicine this is a humanitarian profession. An middle class income should be earned. If you want to earn tons of money become a CEO of a large Corp or open a lucrative business. There is nothing different in passing the plate on Sunday morning or at what is commonly called a revival or camp meeting and televangelist that fleece people for money on tv the money should go back out to needy people not for buying jets and high dollar homes and cars. I I courage you to talk to your senator about passing laws to protect the unsuspecting people that get caught up in there deception.

• To Me, It Does

As a professor of a faith, I do not believe the people who preach should keep they money funded through the church. When a preacher does this and displays those monies for the world to see, I do believe it dilutes the value of their ministry. There is a tipping point between getting a wage for providing a service and taking advantage of people.

• Yes, it does.

The money making focus of his ministry is obvious anytime you turn on his SBN station. There are always expensive books, dvds, cds, and so on being sold. There are fund raisers to make money to keep the station on air. Yet, he lives in a large expensive house, has nice cars, and nice things. If the focus were truly ministry that money would have been used on it rather than getting his family rich.

• Jimmy Swaggart Needs to Retire

Jimmy Swaggart's net worth casts doubt as to the value of his ministry. If the pastor gets into massive amounts of debt while trying to live a lavish lifestyle, there is something wrong. Even looking at his life as a Christian is suspect--he's confessed to cheating on his wife, plus he makes a lot of money while those he ministers to need money. Swaggart needs to retire.

• Author, singing artist - that's how JS makes money

This is the same old argument used with every televangelist - they live a great life so they must be keeping the money folks donate. People, Jimmy Swaggart writes books and records his music on CD's which people then buy - HE owns the copyrights, therefore HE profits from the sales of same. No different than Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen and all the others who use the same platform. I wish the financial records were available for all to see, but it's not a requirement for a 501-3C to disclose them. $1.5 million isn't a lot for a lifetime of producing albums and books, and a $726,000 home for Donnie is spit compared to the compound Joyce Meyer lives in. If I had recorded nearly 50 albums I would certainly hope I could sell them for a million bucks. Stop this ridiculous jelousy over the Swaggart ministry. They work very hard and are spreading the true gospel worldwide.

• No, there is no doubt that net worth effects the value of Swaggart's ministry.

No, there is no doubt thrown around due to Jimmy Swaggart's net worth. I believe this to be the case because someone's net worth should have no effect on other aspects of people's lives. The two are completely separate from one another and should remain separate from one another. Swaggart's worth has nothing to do with his ministry.

• Swaggart's net worth does not devalue his ministry to followers.

People who follow Jimmy Swaggart and who donate to his ministry have a responsibility to themselves. That responsibility is to determine where their donations are going. Once they are informed, it is their choice where to donate their money. There are many people who have benefited from the message that he sends.