Does mankind have a purpose? If so What is it and why are we here?

Asked by: rarecrusader89
  • Nihilism is Bunk

In order to even argue that mankind does not have a purpose you have to presuppose that nihilism is true.

Nihilism is bunk. Nihilism is intellectual hypocrisy. Here is an easy disproof of nihilism via a fictional conversation.

Nihilist: You can't get an ought from an is!
    Moral Realist: Are you trying to correct me or something?
    Nihilist: Yes.
    Moral Realist: Oh, so are you saying I ought not to believe in this thing called morality?
    Nihilist: No, I'm just saying you're factually incorrect.
    Moral Realist: So what? Why does that matter?
    Nihilist: Because I would prefer that you not be factually incorrect.
    Moral Realist: So then your preference for the truth is subjective?
    Nihilist: Yes
    Moral Realist: Why do you have this preference for the truth?
    Nihilist: Because it would make me happy if you were factually correct.
    Moral Realist: Why pursue happiness?
    Nihilist: Because it feels good.
    Moral Realist: Why pursue things that feel good?
    Nihilist: Because I wouldn't want to survive otherwise.
    Moral Realist: Why survive?

The nihilist here on out will do one of three things
    a) They will say "I don't know" which indicates an arbitrary reason for holding the preference.
    B) They will reason in a circular manner/perform an infinite regression which indicates arbitrary logic.
    C) They will say their will to survive is instinctual which is factually incorrect given that human beings can choose to commit suicide. That which can be negated by choice can't be "instinct". This would indicate bad logic.

The conversation may not go exactly like this if you do get into a debate with a nihilist but no matter what the nihilist is guilty of employing arbitrary reasoning in order to make his argument. This is the nature of nihilism. You have to employ arbitrary reasoning in order to go about your way. If they did have non-arbitrary reasons for holding their preferences then they wouldn’t nihilists. They would be moral objectivists.

Now, if Nihilism is bunk that means moral realism is true.

The only axiomatic form of moral realism is this

1)You should pursue virtue.
    2)Truth is the prime virtue.
    3)Therefore, you should pursue truth.

So therefore, the purpose of mankind is to a)Pursue virtue and b)specifically pursue the virtue of truth above all other virtues. Anyone who disagrees will inevitable perform a contradiction.

If you argue against "thou shall pursue virtue" you are presupposing that you are correct and that one OUGHT to be correct.

If you argue against truth being the prime virtue then you have a duty to explain what other virtue other than truth is a higher virtue than truth. That is an impossible task. For example, let's say one wishes to pursue X preference Why would one do that? Well, the only good reason to pursue X preference is if X preference IS IN FACT a virtue. Which of course presupposes that one ought to base ones actions in knowledge of facts (IE the truth)

• Nihilism is Bunk

Nihilist: Yes.
    Nihilist: Yes
    Moral Realist: Why pursue happiness?
    Nihilist: Because it feels good.
    Moral Realist: Why survive?

The conversation may not go exactly like this if you do get into a debate with a nihilist but no matter what the nihilist is guilty of employing arbitrary reasoning in order to make his argument. This is the nature of nihilism. You have to employ arbitrary reasoning in order to go about your way. If they did have an non-arbitrary reason for holding their preferences then they wouldn’t nihilists.

• We have a purpose,

But I don't know what it is. Right now, the only known purpose is to figure out what our purpose is. Once we discover our purpose, we'll figure out where to go from there. I don't know how I'm supposed to stretch this across 50 words. :-) :-) :-) :-)

• Yes but don't exactly know for sure

I think we do have a purpose here on earth but I don't know for sure. My theory is we are here to endure a world plagued by suffering, injustice, fear, and disease. Its no secret that life is a struggle its not a sprint but a marathon with a ton of obstacles one must overcome some people have it harder than others but I feel that we are here to learn something or prove something and what that something is I don't know for sure.

• We smell very bad

We have done nothing but ruin the world we live on we should all die to make the world better. We are just like apes and guess what apes apes apes don't have a purpose on the earth either. We aren't good for the world we live on we should go to mars

• From a scientific perspective, no.

People only ask if humanity has a purpose because they instinctively want to feel special. That does't actually mean that we do, or that searching for one is even worth it. From the perspective of evolution, we're just animals that evolved to climb trees, then live tribally and hunt. But because we have properly working brains we started pondering questions that matter.

However, asking whether humanity has a purpose is just humans emotionally asking whether they're more significant than they really are. And is not one of those questions that matters.

• We suck at life!!!!!!

Why we suck because we are ruining the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! W e s u c k a l o t ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!

• We are big turds

All humans have done since we existed is wreck the beautiful earth provided for us! God didn't tell jesus to tell the shepherds to tell Chernobyl to blow up, so who did? The humans, that's who!!! We are all so stupid and we think that there is such things as aliens living in mars caves and on the moon! We never invent anything new and we are losers, we are hairy and smell! Technically we are a mix between apes and skunks, skunks bums stink and so do ours. Apes have thumbs and so do we. Everyone should just go and jump off a cliff and let jesus deal with this problem we have created

• We r all butts

We r all just a hole bunch of tards we r stupid and only been living for bout 269 years and my family has been living in it for none of it baaa humbug! ! !!!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• It has none. But you are free to put some, but this means extreme responsability. This is what scares the human mind.

If had a true and absolute meaning, life would be a menace, a duty, a obligation. Thats why we live in terror, because we think it has a meaning instead of take a responsability and put a meaning.
    We make the mind anxious, trying to figure out a meaning, because we live in espectation, in the future.

• We make our own purpose

Purpose is something that's more man-made. If mankind were to have a single purpose, I think that would go against us having individual freedom. I believe we all make our own purpose in life and choose our own path. And even if there was a true reason for us being here, I don't think we would ever know that answer. It would be something beyond human comprehension.