Does Obama deserve to be Time's 2012 Person of the Year?

• Yes, Obama deserves this title.

President Obama is, after all, the President of the United States. This alone is a fascinating position to be in, and President Obama's efforts to better the country and his re-election were both huge topics this year. The interviews the President has done this year also give the public the sense that he is a family man and has an approachable personality. This, coupled with his prestigious position is likely why Time magazine chose President Obama as the 2012 Person of the Year.

• Its Time's magazine

Their magazine their call. If they want to call the person of the year President Obama they have that right and I'm sure they feel they can support that decision. I personally disagree and could spell out my opposition but it would be of no avail. His supporters follow blindly and that includes the media.

• Where is the evidence?

The question isn't whether such an organization as Time magazine has the right to nominate any given individual as "Person of the Year" but rather does the individual deserve the distinction in question. It is my understanding that this honour is intentioned to reward, through the process of democratic debate, an individual deemed to be most influential within a given period of time; in this case 2012. Since Time magazine does not provide a static list of criteria to measure against, we can only challenge the prevailing reasoning or arguments, for example Rick Stengel wrote “We are in the midst of historic cultural and demographic changes, and Obama is both the symbol and in some ways the architect of this new America,” He concluded: “For finding and forging a new majority, for turning weakness into opportunity and for seeking, amid great adversity, to create a more perfect union, Barack Obama is Time’s 2012 Person of the Year.” . On the simple basis that it is still unclear whether any of the supporting arguments mentioned will actually achieve the positive effects intended, in other words is yet to be seen whether the implications of such supposed accomplishments will better the society or not and because the reasoning for his nomination is unmeasurable and based purely on subject opinion I do not believe president Obama deserves this recognition.

• Even though I support him, no.

President Obama hasn't really done anything this year that would warrant that title. I mean, he's a great president and I am thrilled he was re-elected. But, what has he done besides that? The fiscal cliff is looming, the country is mourning the Sandy Hook victims. There are others more worthy. When Obama gets the economy back on track, then he will be man of the year.