• Answering the Constitutionality

The Framers intended the Constitution to be a living document, changing with the technology and social development of the times. They never saw the fully automatic, large-capacity magazines of today. It is up to us, as modern-day Americans, to take up their job. Their intent was for local militias to be able to arm themselves. This obviously is not the majority of usages today, as massacres occur annually and yet we do NOTHING!

• Why the Hell do we need assault weapons?

Tell me why in fact you need assault weapons. In the matter of defense they are useless, since the most you would need would be a pistol at most. If someone in fact attacked you, would you not need an assault weapon for defense. The fact that so many backwoods conservatives see the need for "Gun Rights" Befuddles me. We have proven the lack of need for assault weapons, and should not blame our sensible president for this matter.

• Congress Make Laws, Not the President.

You need a lesson in government. The president does not make the laws. The people of the United States make the law through Congress.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that is happening anymore. Most American want more gun control legislation; but the wealthy gun lobby and the NRA are controlling Congress so the gun manufacturers can make billions.

It just another example of Americans being screwed by the wealthy. Congress can’t even force the return of over 20 million jobs that the big corporations have outsourced to third world toilets, while middle class America is being destroyed; just as long as the stock market goes up and the Plutocracy makes billions while the 99% is screwed.

Anyway, Congress will pass the bill that will ban Assault Weapons. President Obama can only sign the bill or Veto it. Please take a course in US government so you will understand how the branches of the Federal Government work.

• Yes, the empirical evidence is unyielding

All other European countries have some sort of gun law, some in immediate response homicides and massacres. And they've mostly worked. Simple as that. Americans should look toward foreign policies to see that gun control is an inevitable truth. We only have to uncover our eyes and discover that the world is laughing at us.

• The question should be asked, why shouldn't Obama ban assualt weapons?

I can only speak as a foreigner as I don't live in America. However I do believe abolishing the right to own assault rifles, would make America a safer place to live. I am a South African, who knows what it's like to live in a country that can be considered dangerous. Now according to world rankings of "Most dangerous Countries", North America isn't ever listed, yet when there is news it's usually something associated with school shootings. And I wonder how it is possible? In South Africa, one can own an assault rifle as long as one has a permit to own one. Yet we never hear about shoot outs in schools. So what makes America so dangerous?

• I love my freedoms and i dont agree with the prompt

However, I believe that guns do not hurt people like any sane person would and instead believe that people hurt people. Just by owning a weapon you do not become dangerous to society, but a person dangerous to society may just become lethal by owning a gun. We should first try to tackle the recent problems of gun control not by banning weapons but by enforcing stricter controls over gun ownership so as to prevent guns from getting into the hands of those who would use them to harm others.

• No, Obama is going against the Constitution

Assault weapons are surely not needed for everyday self defense, however, it is protected by the constitution, and people use it responsibly, (ie, hunting, target shooting, as an item to sell, and sometimes self-defense). Sure, assault weapons are not mentioned in the constitution, and so are handguns, BUT, all weapons are united under one word in the 2nd amendment: ARMS. Arms defines ALL conventional guns for people to own, so the argument of assault weapons no mentioned in the constitution IS INVALID. So, basically in conclusion, Obama IS the violating 2nd Amendment. Besides, responsible gun owners never killed anybody (exception for self-defense) with their own assault weapon.

P.S Mayor Bloomberg, an AR-15 CANNOT shoot down a commercial airliner you idiot. And Piers Morgan, and AR-15 is NOT exclusively an assault weapon.

• What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do people not understand?

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do people not understand? I mean, you can't take away our guns, because I got 5 guns in my house, I use all of them, and I WONT give them up without a fight. (Like of you agree). People don't understand that we built the country with guns, and when the government takes away the tools to defend ourselves, we are powerless to them.

• No he does not

The only legal way is to ammend the constitution, which requires a 2/3 majority in congress. An executive order that in any way impedes on someone's right to own a gun of any kind, is unconstitutional as the constitution strictly prohibits any ammendments that doesn't pass congress with a 2/3s majority. So no, President Obama in no way has a right to ban assult weapons.

Obama has no right taking away our freedoms. They were place there for a reason and they shouldn't be changed or messed around with, and anyways its not the gun that's the problem it's the person who is shooting the gun. Assault weapons might be a little more scary but so are all the other guns. They all can shoot people if you hit them in the right place. There are more people dying every year by a .22 than any other gun, why not make that one illegal. Over all its wrong.

• It Is Our Right If Anything To Ban Assault Weapons

If anyone should be banning assault weapons it sure the hell shouldn't be him. While I support the use of assault weapons, if it ever had to come to a decision like this it shouldn't be left in the hand of any president right winged or left winged. It doesn't matter. What does matter is the thoughts and writes of American beliefs. We have the free speech to go out and say stuff and that's why if it ever comes to this it should be left in OUR hands as a nation.

• Perhaps the ability, but not the right.

In the USA we pretend to be a democracy. Changes to weapons laws, should be passed through the voters (or at least congress).
    However as so few people understand the definition of weapon types, we should probably just fall back on the constitution, as it was very well thought out; seemingly to predict many pieces of our stupidity (a popular majority can still be wrong, but we don't even care about the majority for who becomes president).
    Guns are dangerous in the wrong hands. I say we find something else dangerous, and test a ban on it to see if criminals all cease using it for their crimes (yeah this is getting into fallacy territory, but those fallacies all make me laugh!).

• The Inalienable Rights of the USA are not given. They are merely defined.

Assault weapons are no more a threat than a semi automatic 9 mm with a full clip. The chance that you will die from such weapons is less than that of dying in a car accident. Do bad people do bad things? DUH! Should fear outweigh common sense and my rights? NEVER.

Anyone that even poses the question. "Can the president take away a right" has no credibility in the first place. It is not up for negotiation. I really wish people would actually READ THE CONSTITUTION. It was written to cause effect over FOREIGN and DOMESTIC threats. It was
    purposeful in construction. And always remember that they wrote it in the shadow of an opposing, tyrannical, oppressant, government that kept its citizens from descent by thwarting their right to arms. Always remember, the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, etc., officially see our founding fathers as terrorists. That should explain the current state of our government.

• American's rights And libertys

Ok first of all the US CONSTUTION says right in it "You have the right to bear arms" If that doesn't sum up this point I have no idea what will. This is going against the constution which built america it would be stupid of us to not uphold what made america,america!

• That is something he can't and shouldn't

One man should never have that huge of a decision. If that ever did happen(and it shouldn't), it should be passed by the senate and congress. The american people should decide that. On whether or not it's okay to disarm and harm millions of legal citizens because of less than 300 deaths a year. (stats come from Expanded Homicide Data Table 8) from Fbi.GoV
    He has much more to worry about than "assault weapons".

• The constitution said no!

The constitution directly says that we have the right to bear arms. If Obama goes against this, he's gonna be impeached because defying the constitution is considered high crimes and misdemeanors. If the constitution says it, it's our right and it can not be messed with, because it is literally a law of the land.

Bullish says2013-05-03T21:20:45.493
OBAMA doesn't. Congress does.
GWL-CPA says2013-05-05T18:41:41.290
Many of these folks are confused. The President does not write bills. Congress writes bills, e.G., to ban Assault weapons. Then Congress votes on the bills, both the Senate and House of Representatives. If the bills pass Congress, then they are sent to the President. If the bills are signed by the President, they become law. If they are vetoed by the President they must be sent back to Congress for more votes - 2/3 vote in both the Senate and the House. If Congress has enough votes, the bill can become law without the President's signature.

Therefore, President Obama is not banning anything. He may want them banned as does most of America, but he is powerless and so is everyone else because Congress write the bills.

The USA already had a ban on Assault Weapons in 1994.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), or Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, was a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a federal law in the United States that included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms, so called "assault weapons". The 10-year ban was passed by Congress on September 13, 1994, and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban only applied to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired on September 13, 2004, as part of the law's sunset provision. There have been multiple attempts to renew the ban, but no bill has reached the House floor for a vote.

Why is this so difficult for so many to understand? Is it the lack of education about how the US government works? I thought government was a required course in public high schools.

Anyway no President, including President Obama can Ban Assault Weapons.

leojm says2013-05-06T12:12:01.253
Yeah well he has a right to sign off on it. The bill that they present.
Ragnar says2013-05-07T02:45:45.180
If they present it... Also can encourage them to pass laws, as he's a very influential politician.
leojm says2013-05-07T12:02:29.933
leojm says2013-05-09T13:51:03.773
Well, I guess the Congress can over ride his bill.
GWL-CPA says2013-05-09T17:26:30.437
Leojm, the president does not write the bills, Congress writes the Bills.
leojm says2013-05-09T17:48:49.857
I know. The president though decides if it should be passed , and there are a lot of liberals in Congress and they proposed the bill. The good thing is the bill was turned down. So now we don't have to get background check, and we can still have our assault weapons.
GWL-CPA says2013-05-09T18:08:06.240
The President either signs the bill making it law or it goes back to congress for 2/3 votes in both houses. The bill then becomes law without the President's signature.
Assault weapons were banned for ten years in 1994 under a bill signed by President Bill Clinton.
It is just a matter of time before the USA bans all Assault weapons, limits the size of clips, etc.

And, you currently have to have a background check in all states to buy a gun from a retail gun dealer.
The Brady Bill
This is a result of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, (The Brady Bill), which was enacted in 1994. At a minimum, each state requires a firearm background check to include a search of the National Instant Check System (NICS), which identifies anyone barred from owning a gun.
However, states vary widely in their requirements for enforcing the law. Twenty-one states require only the NICS check. In the states of Connecticut, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Florida, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, and Virginia both state and federal firearm background checks are required. Residents of Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Missouri are only required to pass a federal firearm background check but they do need a permit. One problem with the law is that only licensed firearms sellers are required to comply with it.
So, enjoy your assault weapons while you can; they will be illegal soon.
GeekiTheGreat says2013-05-09T19:07:50.357
Congress can override the Presidents Veto though if 2/3s voted to overrule his Veto.
leojm says2013-05-09T19:11:21.493
I know. I said it already. >:C
GeekiTheGreat says2013-05-09T20:13:15.127
That is not what you said. You said the bill was turned down which i assume to you mean vetoed, but if enough people in congress overruled Obama's veto, then it still can be a law. If i am wrong anybody except you leojm sorry) please correct me.
leojm says2013-05-09T23:16:05.657
You know what, I'm not going to argue anymore. You are so dang hung up on your self, just go and get lost. You are aggravating me. You must have a thick skull, because nothing gets through your brain. Anyways You don't know much about politics. My dad is involved with politics and he knows exactly whats happening with politicians. I also job shadowed in Congress, and I heard what type of bills they passed and everything else. I'm not going to ever talk to you again. I will never respond to your comments or what ever. If you vote on my debate and make me loose, I will report you for not fallowing the rules. You are just a pain. Keep out of my life.
Bullish says2013-05-09T23:39:25.240
LOL some nice bigotry right there..
leojm says2013-05-10T00:02:46.667
Lol. :D
Bullish says2013-05-10T01:09:22.050
See what I did there.. I pointed out that your speech was toward the side of being bigoted without being a bigot myself. Lollipop. Now we're friends but not necessarily best friends for the time being. BTW I have about 6 close friends in real life, as opposed to your 100. But anyhow.. You don't think background checks are a good idea? (I realize the proposed background check law is a bit flawed and filled with earmarks..)