Does opposing same-sex marriage make you a homophobe?

• Yes, if you are against gay marriage, you are a homophobe.

This is for a simple reason. If you are NOT gay, you will never be in a gay union. As such, someone else's gay marriage does not affect you in any way. Arguments saying otherwise don't hold water. None of them. Not a single one. In short, if you're not gay, and against gay marriage, you are attempting to have a modicum of control over another group of people and control a situation you are not and never will be involved in. Trying to control a minority group's actions, in any way, is hatred by nature, and hatred of gays is homophobia. (the word phobia is in the word, yes, but homophobia means hatred of gays in modern English. We're not dissecting it into Latin here.)

So, yes. If you're not gay, this is none of your business. Never will be. Why do you care? Because you want to CONTROL this group and tell this group what to do. Which, ironically, is the antethesis of what conservatives say they're against. Doesn't pan out.

Yes, if you are against gay marriage you are a homophobe, pure and simple. But homophobes don't like being told this, just as racists don't want to hear that they are racist and sexists don't want to hear that they are sexists and bullies don't want to hear that they are bullies. Truth hurts.

Truth hurts and the truth is, all of you against gay marriage, you're homophobic. Period. At least own up to it and for once be honest for your reasons against gay marriage and really gay relationships altogether which is "I just don't like it."

Unfortunately, "I don't like it" isn't a good argument to limit someone's rights.

• yes it is.

i m not homosexual there for my thing is different from gays and lesbians so sorry whoever disagree with me but in my opinion same sex marriage create dirtiness in society so we should stop it and voice up against them. Actually homosexual are mentally dastard peoples therefor they think same sex pleasure is good but indeed its very fatal for society. i know homosexual and some normal people also not agree with me.

• Opposing same-sex marriage is a sign of homophobia.

The idea of homophobia is being 'against' homosexual people, seeing them as lesser beings or just plain wrong. Opposition of same-sex marriage is usually because of a belief that it is against God's intentions or that it will ruin the sanctity of marriage if homosexuals are allowed to be married. Being against same-sex marriage is saying that it isn't right, that homosexuality isn't right, and even though the marriage of same-sex couples will have no direct effect on anyone else or society, that it still isn't okay because of their sexual orientation. That is what homophobic people believe as well, so yes, opposing same-sex marriage does make someone a homophobe.

• Homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals

If you weren't homophobic wouldn't you feel that gay people should have exactly the same rights as heterosexuals. Marriage is a right everyone should have, and if homosexuals don't have that right does that not mean that they are less important than everyone else and shouldn't be on the same level as heterosexuals?

• Yes, because you're denying their rights

Just because you don't want to kill all gay people, it doesn't mean you're not a homophobe. You can say: ''Oh, I don't hate black people, I just don't want them to marry because god created white people!'' It's stupid! Why would someone be against gay marriage?! Two men or two women getting married doesn't hurt anyone. And for all you who say that it's their opinion I only want to say that Hitler had his opinion, too.

• Yes, opposing same-sex marriage makes you a homophobe.

Same-sex marriage is portrayed as a denigration of marriage so that homophobes don't admit they have a problem. Same-sex marriage is a civil rights issue similar to how slavery was a civil rights issue. Anyone opposing same-sex marriage has serious issues. The only reason that could be is because they are a "homophobe."

• If not, what possible reason can you have to deny someone the same rights you have?

I really have had to think about this long and hard but I really believe it's impossible to claim you're not in some way homophobic if you're against gay marriage. There's no justification for it otherwise!
    If you had no bias then why on earth would you be denying a same sex couple the very same rights that you are allowed? Who gives you the right to decide (and you do when you back the people in power who make the decisions) that a same sex couple should be happy as they are, together and unwed. It's ridiculous.

• Yes, opposing gay marriage makes you homophobic.

Just like advocating traditional roles for women makes you sexist and supporting apartheid makes you racist. If your opinion is that some group of people should have different fundamental opportunities to everyone else on the grounds of race, gender, sexuality or other similar characteristic then you are prejudiced, not 'traditional'.

• Yes, if you don't believe same-sex couples should have the right to marry you are a homophobe.

By denying marriage to same-sex couples you either believe that (i) they are not worthy of marriage or (ii) they will "taint" how you view marriage. You therefore consider them as lesser beings or not worthy of marriage and you are therefore a homophobe. You do not have to "hate" someone to be a homophobe, you just need to believe that, as a whole, this group is inferior to you and should not be granted the same rights as you.

The argument about being a "traditionalist" is completely illogical. Unless you are against all forms of social progress (eg. Abolishing slavery, allowing women to vote) you are inherently choosing what traditions you think should be upheld and if you choose to uphold a tradition that suppresses a minority (whilst blatantly breaking other traditions) you are consciously inferring that you believe that that minority is inferior to you and it is therefore OK that they be suppressed by tradition.

The argument about "religious beliefs" is also completely illogical. Unless you obey every single word of the bible, koran or other scripture of your religion (eg. Not eating shellfish, not wearing glasses, believing women to be unclean at certain points, not working on certain days) you are inherently choosing what parts of the religious scripts you think should be upheld and if you choose to uphold a part of a religious script that suppresses a minority (whilst blatantly ignoring other parts of the religious script) you are consciously inferring that you believe that that minority is inferior to you. Unless you are unwavering to your chosen religious script, these are not your "religious beliefs", they are just your "beliefs" as you seem to justify breaking some of the rules but are OK with suppressing a minority.

• Yes, it does

You are denying someone a right that heterosexual people have, so yes, you are homophobic. Just because you don't tell LGBTQ+ people that they are a sin doesn't mean that you aren't discriminating. Denying people their basic human rights, such as marriage is illegal, unconstitutional and just a scumbag thing to do.

• Not by the definition of a phobia

Homophobia is the fear (phobia) and unacceptance of same-sex relationships. Not supporting gay marriage does not mean you hate gays, per say, but it does open the possibility that you do. Supporting traditional marriage reflects a cultural, religious, or personal belief. Wanting to ban guns does not make you a pacifist or anti-violent, it means you believe there are certain circumstances when guns should be disallowed and a line should be drawn where that is. Not supporting gay marriage does not make you a homophobe, it means your level of acceptance of homosexuals has not developed to include marriage as one of the benefits. To be homophobic you must have in your heart a true hate of gays but if you accept them for who they are and only disagree with their marriage rights, that makes you a traditionalist (or very religious).

• Rebuttal to "Opposing same-sex marriage is a sign of homophobia"

The idea of homophobia is literally being afraid or having agression toward individuals. My friend seems to appeal to a popular argument and say that its incorrect but one its a strawman and two not everyone agrees with such arguments. The fact is it only matters whether you can justify you opinion or not. That makes you rational or irrational. Rational questioner vs homophobe.

• No. It's just a difference in opinion.

Not supporting doesn't make you a homophobe in any way. It just means that you don't believe in same-sex marriage. If your belief on what we've been living and defining in the past as a family constitutes man and wife, and it stays that way, you're just traditional. Nothing more, nothing less.

• No homophobe

No, I do not think that if you oppose same-sex marriage it means that you are a homophobe. Yes, everyone has the right to choose how to live their lives, but there are and have been rules in place for centuries and in the Bible regarding marriage being between a man and a woman, not same sex.

• A Phobia is an Irrational Fear

A phobia is an irrational fear. Opposing same-sex marriage is standing up for true marriage, as has been defined for thousands of years. It is not irrational, therefore it is not a phobia. To say it is is to imply that our fore-fathers were all irrational. That is an unreasonable proposition.

• No, it's not.

Some people are very traditional. Doesn't make them hateful. There are civil unions which provide the same opportunities without the consequences. I have saved somebody who I knew was gays life by pulling them from stepping into the street in traffic. I still oppose it. Don't hate anybody. I do support civil unions however.

• Consider the Logic

Because if opposing same sex marriage automatically makes a person a homophobe then logic dictates that the opposite has to be true. Anyone supporting same sex marriage then MUST be a heterophobe.

Also logically doesn't everyone have the right to an opinion without being labeled???

Another point to consider would be regarding all of the other people still in the "closet" doing similar acts that are considered immoral just like homosexuals. Shouldn't these people LOGICALLY be allowed to come out and be recognized and allowed to do what ever they want with full public approval ??? If not then this would be considered prejudice and just wrong. Just think about the money we will save when the prisons are emptied?

What a wonderful moral future we all have to look forward to. :)

• Just Consider the Logic

Also logically doesn't everyone have the right to an opinion without being labeled?

Another point to consider would be regarding all of the other people still in the "closet" doing similar acts that are considered immoral just like homosexuals. Shouldn't these people LOGICALLY be allowed to come out and be recognized and allowed to do what ever they want with full public approval? If not then this would be considered prejudice and just wrong. Just think about the money we will save when the prisons are emptied?

• Assumptions are fallacies

The Idea that is perpetuated in the gay community that those that disagree with their lifestyle, are somehow repressed, departs from the assumption that homosexuality is seen normal universally in the psych of people. The reasons are personal disgust, seeing it irrational, against one's religious priniciples, and/or reactive to the continuity of attempt to normalize homosexuality. If you gonna interpret one make sure you prove the others are wrong

• Honestly I'm just sickened by it

I can't do anything about how I feel. It grosses me out. I have gay friends but to see or hear anything about it makes me sick. However to hate them is wrong. I oppose it for that and for my personal feelings that it's against the natural order, but those are MY feelings. That said my opposition is no excuse to try to stop them because it's not my business.Yea it may gross me out and I may oppose it but as a black man it is beyond illogical for me to stand against it. Abraham Lincoln did not disagree with slavery but he still freed my ancestors. What if he let his personal feelings stand in the way of what is right to do?